Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Long story short, I need to dump one of my 2010 Mac Pros and possibly a 24 apple display, besides Craigslist which i have it on but not a big market in boise,ID for it and Ebay i dont like their fees, any other sites that i should put it on?

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Nope, CL is the best option. If you need to dump it fast, you'll have to lower the price so people bite, as you said Boise isn't a fast market.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I still think eBay is your best option for getting top dollar for it. Although they do have fees, I wouldn't do any business on Craigslist and deal with strangers. I would rather sell something on eBay and ship it, anyday. I just sold a 2.93GHz Mac Pro Quad for $2563.00 on eBay, it had 16GB of RAM. I got exactly what I was expecting for it, although eBay took about $150.00 in seller's fees after the sale.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
put the mac pro on auction at ebay not buy it now.

seller fees are lower for large auctions on ebay then buy it now.

a 10 day listing on ebay for $1999 starting auction is $2.40 max auction fee is 50 bucks

if you have a better mac pro then a base list it just under what you want. say a hex core is 3600 new and you would like 2900 for yours. list the pro at 2700 it is 2 bucks to list it!

pulled from these two links
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html#fvf_auction

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html#if_auction
Final value fees for auction-style format listings

Auction-style format listings
Final sale price
Final value fee
Item not sold
No fee
$0.01 - $50.00
9.0% of sale price (maximum charge $50.00)
$50.01 - $1,000.00
$1,000.01 or more
To learn more and see an example

so ebay will cost you under 60 for a 2000 dollar sale
paypal will cost 50 bucks on a 2000 dollar sale.

another good place to list is http://www.audiogon.com

list is 6 bucks and 1 or 2 percent. limit shipping to whatever please you. list is 30 days. audiogon is for hi end audio but you can push your machine itunes server ability to get it listed. I sell on both sites quite a bit. I use the same name as this site. feel free to ask me for free advice on listing safely.
phil

Last edited:

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
I have lowered the price considerably, I need a fast sale because I need the capital to put towards a business venture and I only have a couple of days to get this transaction through which is why I'm steering away from eBay cause it tends to take a little bit longer.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Although it was saif before, If you need the money that bad, post it in seattle and be willing to drive it there. MacPro's dont last long on CL in this city.

Stephen23

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2007
Austin, TX
Another vote for Craigslist. If the ad is well written and the machine is not priced unreasonably, then it's your best bet for getting the money that quickly. If driving it to Seattle or another large city is an option, you'll get a better price for it that way, for sure. Mac Pros don't last long here in Austin.

If you're selling on ebay, you typically have to sell it for 10% - 20% more than you'd get on Craigslist to make the same amount of money after fees and shipping expenses.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Although it was saif before, If you need the money that bad, post it in seattle and be willing to drive it there. MacPro's dont last long on CL in this city.

No kidding! The first place I looked for a MP was in CL Seattle. Prices are high, sometimes excessively high, and they sell quickly anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.