Fathers Reaction To Facebook Post

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tktaylor1, Feb 10, 2012.

1. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I am shocked nobody has posted this yet but anyways this guy is a champ. I used to be like this girl when I was way younger. This is exactly something my dad would do. God, I love this video.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Saw this earlier on Twitter. I admire the man's use of social media to get through to his daughter. :D

3. 184550, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

184550 Guest

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

This guy needs to be given a key to the city. What a wonderful video!

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Thank god that wasn't a Mac! I would have cried.

6. Fazzy macrumors 6502

After seeing this, people from the southern states are officially cool :cool:

7. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Doesn't look like he wore any hearing protection. Wonder if the girl will get smarter about information technology. Didn't the father say that was his career? Perhaps she intended for him to find it.

8. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

His use of a firearm is disturbing

This is neither cool or what a parent should be advocating

Disgusting

9. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I'm not really sure shooting the laptop and therefore ruining it was worth proving a point, but okay. It's good that he did this though, if that was really her facebook post she deserved it.

10. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

11. WRP macrumors 6502a

I think the dude deserves a hi-five. The lack of respect kids show adults nowadays is disturbing. If I talked to my father the way my brothers kids talk to him I would have had my block knocked off. And my father never once raised a hand to me because I was smart enough not to be an ******.

12. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

Judging from the way the father said the daughter has done something like this multiple times in the past, plus the blatant amount of disrespect she shows in her post, I'd say anything less then the actions taken in this video wouldn't have even made her flinch. This isn't disgusting, it's good parenting.

And he's not advocating anything to anyone. He said parents should take stricter actions against their disrespectul kids, which is absolutely true.

Really, anyone who takes offense to this just makes me think that they were probably just like that daughter themselves and can just sympathize with her better.

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The kid may be self-centered but her father is a jerk.

This stuff must run in the family.

14. malman89, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

malman89 macrumors 68000

Is it any more disturbing than if he took a hammer to it? A chainsaw? Ran it over?

I just saw this off a friend's tweet - absolutely classic. This guy's a champ.

Edit: Don't think I've even held a gun and don't support them, but just a silly response.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

16. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Why?

17. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Good idea and his choice with what he does with his own property (since he bought the computer himself).

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I would argue the lack of respect is from a lack parenting. I don't have kids though.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Why? Or are you just against firearms no matter what?

20. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I personally think this is dumb. The radio shows were saying that since he is an IT professional, he knows how to get into people's facebook accounts, so she should've known better...completely stupid.

So he installed $130 worth of software onto a computer that he shot and is requiring her to pay him back. Why didn't he either sell the laptop or block facebook from her computer? There are much bigger problems than looking to see what someone is writing on a facebook wall.

21. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I absolutely agree. You could argue that it comes from the influence of peers, but proper parenting should override any behavior learned from peers.

This sounds like poor parenting and communication. I don't know enough to comment further.

22. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I'd be bloody scared if he was my Dad... In any situation that there's a horrible brat of a kid, it all goes back through to the parents and how they behave. And if he were to shoot a laptop he just spent $$$'s on, and if he's an IT technician, takes the parts out, then shoot the laptop! :p

23. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I love these threads because you can tell those responding to the thread title and the posts rather than clicking the link to get the full story.

Whether you agree or not with his decision, his respose to the media requests for interviews is thoughtful and eloquent. If everyone had that common sense the U.S. would be a better place.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

How to Parent Wrong.

One of the two people in this conflict is supposed to be the adult here...but I don't see one. I see a guy who got his widdle feelings hurt by his daughter and whose response is way over the top.

And don't give me any crap about his daughter being a brat. Yes, her idea of being paid for chores is obviously unrealistic. Yes, she might be out looking for a job (although it sounds like her father keeps her busy in his clinic). And yes, her Facebook rant was disrespectful, particularly after he fixed her laptop.

But there sounds like there's more to the story than her father is telling. She's not going to bed exhausted from doing three minutes of floor sweeping and one minute of countertop cleaning a day. There's the disparity between his and her versions of what jobs she's expected to do. There's the dad's claim that when he was her age (15) he'd moved out of the house, lived on his own, gone to college in high school, worked two jobs, and was a volunteer fireman. You gotta wonder about at least a couple of those things.

The core of the problem is, he is expecting her to be him. Or at least the him, the accomplished 15 year old that he describes.

And she's not him. Nor does she have any obligation to be him. She has an obligation to help around the house, and if her parents want her to work for her laptop and phone, that's reasonable. (Barely. Remember, she's 15 now, and this tussle has obviously been going on for a while.) She also should be respectful to her parents.

But if this father's video is any indication of his brand of parental discipline -- responding to immature behavior with his own immature behavior -- then you have to wonder how he treats his kid when he's not on camera.

Parenting involves talking to your kids -- sometimes talking to them until you're bleeding from the ears, trying to get through. I hope this guy got his rocks off, because he just made the situation between him and his daughter infinitely worse. He thinks she disrespected him before? At least that disrespect was meant to be limited to her Facebook friends. This guy -- a supposed IT professional -- didn't think his hillbilly justice video response could end up going viral? Huh. He's just accelerated his daughter's attitude from disrespect to downright hate.

Smart parenting there, "dad".