Fatloss October 1 - December 31 Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phas3, Sep 30, 2010.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

Lets go guys! Time to shred those extra pounds! Who's in? Every week post your current weight, let's see how many pounds we can shred. Post your Height, Weight, Target Weight and Workout.

Height: 5'9
    Current Weight: 174lbs
    Target Weight: 155lbs

I actually started Sept 1 at 184. Been working out constantly 4x a week.

Monday - Legs, Back, Biceps, Foerarms
    Tuesday - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - Legs, Back, Biceps, Forearms
    Friday - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
    Sat/Sun - Rest

After getting out of the Marine Corps last Sept, I let myself go, and that's a no no. I was also in a 3 year relationship that just ended, and working out keeps me from thinking about it. I'm back on track and ready to rock!

I'm not a professional bodybuilder, but I've done a bit of reading on fat loss, key things are(taken from a member at bodybuilding.com forums who is shredded like none other)

How many calories should you be eating daily?

BMR Calculator

use this to calculate your BMR and then take that number and multiply it by whatever you're activity level is from this:

Harris Benedict Equation

so my BMR is 1869.92 x 1.55(I work out 3-5x/week) = 2,898

To maintain my weight I should be consuming at least 2,800 calories daily, to start losing weight you must have a calorie deficit

Minus 500-1000 calories from your maintenance and you should start to shed 1-2lbs per week.

eat protein, lots of vegies, take a multi-vitamin, fishoils and RAGE at the gym and have lots of PATIENCE

Supplements that I take:

Whey Protein
    Fish Oil capsules
    Creatine Monohydrate
    Xtend(intra workout)
    Multi-Vitamin

Cardio:

My favorite cardio has to be HIIT. I hate running for more than 45 minutes, which is why I prefer HIIT and the effects of HIIT is better than doing regular cardio. HIIT Stands for High Intensity Interval Training, this will supercharge your fat loss. HIIT stimulates your fast twitch muscle fibers, the fat loss effect from HIIT last for up to 36 hours after you finish. So how do you do HIIT?

- Do a warmup for 5 minutes, brisk walking
    - Sprint for 30 seconds betwen 90-95% effort
    - Light jog or walk for 90 seconds
    - Rinse and repeat 6-10 times.
    - 5 Minute cool-down

HIIT should not exceed 20 minutes, and you should only be doing it 2-3 times per week, and drink a post workout shake afterwards to replenish your body.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I'll give it a go.

6'1" 200lbs on the nose.

Target 180.

Workout routine is twice a week 30 minutes aerobics alternated with weights, also twice a week. I "work" on a farm so lots of manual labor as well.

3. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Great timing for me to join a thread like this...I have joined an LA Fitness 3 weeks ago, and have been going to personal training, and going just to do cardio at least 4 days a week, sometimes 5.

Currently I'm at 243 pounds, down from 250 pounds...

My goal by 12/31 is to get down to 230. My ultimate goal is to get down to 200 pounds by next september and work on gaining more muscles. I need to get as ready for ski season this year as possible. I'm focusing on my legs more than anything right now.

I'm also trying to just change my lifestyle. Stay way from un-healthy foods, and eat more protein, veggies, fruits...but that's hard cause I'm going to culinary school for pastry arts, and work at a bakery where we make donuts everyday...gotta stay away from the carbs...

I'm getting there though. I know I can do it.

4. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

awesome progress! Keep at it! 230 is definitely doable you might even surprise yourself! Gonna go workout right now! RAGE!

5. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Thanks man! I'm pumped about it...

Actually today was my first time in the gym after 5 days cause I rolled my ankle on Sunday while running stupidly in the kitchen, and i ended up pinching a nerve in my foot so I've been out of it...no cardio today, just some weights with my personal trainer.

I worked on my chest and shoulders...everything I lift feels like 1,000 pounds haha. but it's a good feeling.

6. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

If you want to lose weight, I suggest doing cardio rather then weight training. Cardio is a much more efficient calorie burner.

I would participate in such a thread, if it had been posted last year. As it stands, I have enough problems keeping the lbs on with my new life (healthy eating, excercising, have to eat the healthy junk like a pig to keep the weight on, 10-12 portions of grain, 10-12 fruits/vegetables a day with at least 10 onces of meat and 3 dairies...).

But I did lose over a 100 lbs now that I stopped my unhealthy lifestyle. Don't give up, it does wonder! (and with that, I'm off to the gym for a couple of hours).

7. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Well I want to get into the ultimate skiing shape. I need a lot of leg strength...I've been a skier since I was 3. But I was never in proper shape, although I'm a racer, I need the leg strength and I need to lose weight.

8. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

I hate cardio haha, but I would rather weight train with a lil added cardio. If you do nothing but cardio, you will lose fat for sure...but no muscle. My goal is to get down to 155 while trying to preserve muscle, and then do a clean bulk back to 170-180lb

Btw are you eating at your maintenance?

9. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

squats and deadlifts, my fav exercises besides tricep workouts. Although I can't deadlift much since I have a lower back problem that I got while I was in the Marines.

10. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

11. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

I'm in. I'm mainly looking to shed fat and trim down. I'm "thin" but with a spare tire and low muscle mass :( I'd like to lose like 10-15 lbs of fat but gain close to that back with muscle. So, my results will not be easily quantitative without measuring body fat. We'll see...

Height: 5'11''
    Current Weight: 160#
    Target Weight: 155# ;)
    Blood Pressure: 110/72

Routine:
    Monday - Chest & Back, Abs
    Tuesday - Cardio
    Wednesday - Shoulders & Arms, Abs
    Thursday - Cardio
    Friday - Legs & Back, Abs

Be sure to take your multi vitamins and stretch before AND after lifting!

12. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Switch from convention deadlifts to sumo deadlifts. Significantly less force is placed on the SI and L4/L5.

13. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for the tip, will try that tomorrow!

14. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I do 40 minutes cardio, 10 minutes stretching and then about an hour and 15 minutes of muscle training. Yeah, just Cardio would be boring as hell.

Had a little trouble at first figuring how high that was, with 2 hours of working out 5 times a week, it seems to be a bit above 3k, otherwise I still lose weight. Finally managed to get it up there. Though finding calories in healthy stuff without resorting to eating nuts all the time is getting challenging.

15. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

wow according to those links in the first post I should be eating a little over 3500 calories a day. Intense. And back when I was in college doing crew (4 months ago...) I should have been eating almost 4000 calories! So much for the 2000 calorie diet...

I don't really have any intention of losing weight, but I did lose a lot of muscle this summer (upper body, I spent all summer biking across the country, so my legs are still good), so I want to get back towards the condition I was in back in May.

I generally run to the gym (2.5 miles away), lift, and run back 2-3x/week, do a 15-20,000m piece on the rowing machine another 2-3x (at a low stroke rating, 19-20 strokes per minute, but high power), and go rock climbing about twice a week for an hour or so. We'll see how it goes.

16. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Uh, the 2000 calorie diet is for inactive people. ;)

My base metabolism is around 1775. Just getting up in the morning means I'll burn more than 2000 calories in that day.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You shouldn't be weightlifting if you want to lose weight. To build muscle, you need to eat, otherwise the muscle won't get bigger. To lose weight, you should do calorie burning exercises such as cycling and jogging and don't eat too much.

They kinda fight against each other. If you don't eat enough because you try to lose weight, you won't gain muscle. If you eat enough to build muscle, you won't lose weight.

FYI, I've lost 8cm from my waist in ~6 months but I've gained few kilos. Muscle weighs more than fat.

Also, to lose weight, you should have balanced diet, i.e. 30%-40%-30% (protein - carbohydrate - fat).

I'm not saying you can't lose weight by the way you're doing it but it's faster if you first lose weight by jogging etc and then start weightlifting and eating more protein. I participate in couple weightlifting forums and this is what the folks are saying there.

18. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

164.8 today trying to get down to 155, mostly just following primal. Going well so far.

19. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

Which forums? If all you do is cardio to lose weight, you'll not only lose fat but lose muscle. Skinny fat isn't any better than being fat. As long as you eat enough protein, you will retain some muscle and gain strength.

the macros for losing weight is really not that important. What's important is a calorie deficit, that is how you will shed those pounds. It's all about diet/nutrition.

Have a calorie deficit, get enough protein, and workout(or run, I preffer working out)

anywho, yesterday I did a one rep max on my squats, 280lbs! woooo up from 150 since sept 1.

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Finnish forums so I doubt you're interested. I know you will lose muscle too but doing cardio and eating low-calorie food is the fastest way to lose weight. Then when you have lost enough weight, you can start to do weightlifting and eat more, especially protein to get some muscle.

Depends what you really want to do, lose weight or gain muscle? Your thread title is little confusing as you're talking about fatloss while in your OP you're talking more about exercising and gaining muscle.

Anyway, you can lose weight by the way you're doing it now (well, you already have) and gain muscle. I should have read the OP more carefully as you're only talking about losing 20lb which ain't much. If it was 60lb or 100lb, then weightlifting wouldn't be the way to lose weight :D

BTW, you all sound so lightweight! I'm 194cm and 102kg (224lb)!

21. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

lol how tall are you? I'm 5'9 i'd like to be 6' at 180 would be fit already lol. I do appreciate your insight on fat loss, all in all, whichever method members choose to lose weight besides starving themselves(LOL) is welcomed, as long as you're losing weight.

If you're bigger and have more weight to lose you will probably lose weight faster, but 1-2lbs per week is healthy.

Chest and tris and shoulders today! wooooo

22. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

194cm is about 6 feet and 4.4 inches. Yes, I am tall, thus I'm heavy too but not that fatty.

I just did the same set today, my arms are nearly insensitive :p

23. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

drank my pre workout shake, made a new playlist, im pumped LETS GO!

COME ON FELLAS AND LADIES! We need more people to participate, everyone can lose 5-10lbs! Unless your weight like 90 lbs already!

24. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I'm gonna get back to the gym tomorrow and do a ton of cardio...

25. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It's horrible timing for me! My weight fluctuates between 151 and 154 in the summer months, and between 155 and 158 the rest of the year. I was up around 170-172 a few years ago, but eating smaller portions and getting more aerobic exercise has kept those pounds at bay.