Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Because I have read differently. I have read that when trying to lose weight, it is much better to each small meals very frequently in order to keep your metabolism running i.e. burning calories. You stop eating and your metabolism slows and will make it much more difficult to burn calories at rest.

Cardio(especially HIIT), weight lifting, eating the right foods, will speed up your metabolism no matter what. Now if you don't do any of that and just have a calorie deficit, then eating 6 small meals will help.

But in reality, the combination of lifting, cardio and healthy diet will promote faster metabolism.

It's really that easy to lose fat, everyone turns it into some big deal, when really all you need to do is refine your diet(eat healthy), have a calorie deficit.

lifting weights, doing cardio just helps the process go faster.

Bostonaholic

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Cardio(especially HIIT), weight lifting, eating the right foods, will speed up your metabolism no matter what. Now if you don't do any of that and just have a calorie deficit, then eating 6 small meals will help.

But in reality, the combination of lifting, cardio and healthy diet will promote faster metabolism.

It's really that easy to lose fat, everyone turns it into some big deal, when really all you need to do is refine your diet(eat healthy), have a calorie deficit.

lifting weights, doing cardio just helps the process go faster.

I completely agree. For fat-loss (not weight-loss), never under estimate the power of lifting weights. Muscle burns more calories for longer periods of time than fat. If you're working your muscles and gaining muscle weight, you will be losing fat. You may not notice as big a difference on the scales (muscle weighs 3x than fat) you will notice a difference in your waist line and pecs (or whichever areas you focus).

I believe people have this idea that pure weight-loss = results. Not true. Plus, the impatient want to see dramatic results with minimal effort... e.g. look at how fat 80% of americans have become in the last 20 years. The fattest state in 1992 is thinner than the thinnest state now... put that in your pipe and smoke it. But I digress.

People typically resort to starving themselves when wanting to "lose weight" because the only thing the uneducated understand is "less food, less weight". THIS IS VERY WRONG. So nutritionists try to help us out telling us to eat more often and healthier. Well I'm sorry to break it to you but the salad at Wendy's isn't what they're talking about. To truly eat healthy, one must buy fresh produce and fresh meats then take the time to cook a dinner/lunch. But I digress... again.

/rant

...for now

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
What will help you lose weight:

1. Ditch the grain/sugar culture completely and don't look back. Eat big salads, vegetables, meats, good fats etc.
2. Eliminate Fructose.
3. Get sun or supplement 10k IU vitamin D3.
4. Reduce omega 6 fat intake. Get about 15 grams of quality omega 3 daily (animal based for DHA/EPA - Carlson's fish oil is good).
5. Supplement probiotics.
6. Lift weights, do interval cardio. And rest. Don't overtrain and bathe in cortisol.
7. Sleep 8-9 hours per night in a dark room. If you're drinking coffee or taking stim meds, adjust. This can be a deal breaker for some people.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Great post to correct one grammatical mistake (even though you corrected it twice). Round of applause for you.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Woo great chest, tricep, shoulders and ab workout today! Yellow Tail, salad, some red potatoes for dinner! Yummmm

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Great post to correct one grammatical mistake (even though you corrected it twice). Round of applause for you.

Actually, I figured no one would notice the bold apostrophe. You've got a sharp eye, and wit. I really do say that often. It was not just a post to correct spelling. But, I also correct my own typos with an edit. I read 'em when posted, but still miss things that I might catch next time I visit. If I still can, I fix 'em. (Yeah, I got it.)

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
HIIT day, no weight lifting, Skirt Steak + veggies for dinner!

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
another awesome rage day at the gym! one more day to go and back to the grind on monday! Where you at people!

pcb

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
Oxford, Ohio
I'll join this show.

I'm not really working to lose a bunch of weight. I am however working to get a somewhat built upper body and six pack.

I am a runner so I know that is kind of counter but hey oh well. Plus I don't want to be a total meathead. I just want to have some tone and definition to my body. So I am off to the rec center to lift and then hit the treadmill.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
HIIT and Chest/Tris/Shoulders today

new recipe

Whey
Teaspoon of Olive Oil
Peanut Butter

mix it, nuke it for 2 minutes

Protein Brownie mmmmm

Bostonaholic

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
HIIT and Chest/Tris/Shoulders today

new recipe

Whey
Teaspoon of Olive Oil
Peanut Butter

mix it, nuke it for 2 minutes

Protein Brownie mmmmm

I'm totally trying that. I have 'brownie batter' protein powder that would be perfect for that. How much whey and how much peanut butter?

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Heh, well I'll join in, mostly because I'm at work and bored :p Also I think I'm the biggest one here. . .

Height: 6'6
Weight: 238 this morning (Down from 285 1.5 years ago)
Goal: 225(ish?)

I work a very volitile schedule so I can't really set a regular pattern for working out, though I do commit to Judo twice a week, 1.5 hours per class. Let me tell you grappling is GOOOOD cardio :D I also try to hit the gym with a personal trainer/friend of mine. 2-3 times a week, whenever we can line up scheudles.

Also I have MyFitnessPal on the iPhone so I'm tracking my caloric intake. I hit 245 about a year ago, and then just plateaued, its been driving me nuts!!! But I started tracking caloric intake with MyFitnessPal about 3 weeks ago, have gone from 242-245 to 235-238. So about 5-6 pounds. Of course 2-3 pounds fluctuation is pretty normal for my size, on a "cheat day" (once a week) I can fluctuate 5+ pounds :eek:. Ah well such is the life of a Tower.

Oh, and keeping calories under 2000 a day. On a day I train at the Dojo its usually a net of around 1500 (~2500 - ~1000 at Judo).

Disclosure: MyFitnessPal is totally free, and I have no affiliation with the company, though I am happy to endorse it!

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
One other thing...

How do you guys feel about sugar? I've cut almost all refined sugar from my diet, (ie no pop, black cofee, MINIMAL processed food) but I LOVE fruit, especially over the summer I'll eat 3-4 peaches a DAY, plus grapes, strawberries, etc. I find myself often hitting 120 or 130 grams of sugar a day >.>

Not ideal, I know but is the fact that its coming from raw fruit going to at least mitigate the effect vs. sugar from say candy?

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
I'm totally trying that. I have 'brownie batter' protein powder that would be perfect for that. How much whey and how much peanut butter?

one scoop of whey, enough water to give you a batter like texture but make sure its not too thick and then just add like a tablespoon of butter

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
it's cheat meal day! All You Can Eat Korean BBQ here I come!

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
mmmmm

2ns9gds.jpg

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
well 173, not bad, although I do believe that your body fluctuates in weight on a day to day basis. So my average weight maybe less or a little bit more. Anyway strength is increasing, muscle becoming more defined. WOOOO

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
great job keep at it man.

October 22 is my next weigh-in. This Keto diet is amazing, lovin it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.