Favorite calculator brand?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by InsanelyApple, Apr 30, 2011.

?

Brand?

1. Canon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Casio

20.5%
  3. HP

12.3%
  4. Sharp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Texas Instruments

67.1%
  6. Store Brand/Other

1.4%
  7. No preference

5.5%
  1. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

What is your favorite calculator brand and why? Mine is Casio, just because I have used their calculator the past 4 years and now how to use them.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

HP before Carly Fiorina gutted their calculator line.

B

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't really care but find myself using TI the most.

5. iLucas macrumors 6502

I used to use casio when i took easier classes but since i've been taking AP Physics i've always used a TI calculator.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

iMac for the win.

And, when required, neoOffice. :D

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I loved my old school TI-58C. The old HP's are cool too...

8. InsanelyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Funny. I knew someone would eventually do that. :D

9. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I've only purchased TI (what was recommended to me in almost every application). Most recent was a TI-89. Amazing what that thing can do!

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I bought my calculator (TI-84 Plus) when I didn't really know anything about technology (8th grade). And I just bought what was recommended to me. Now, I'm regretting not buying the HP equivalent. (50gx I think?). It seems like it's a better calculator, and cheaper.

The TI line does have it beat on looks though.

11. puma1552 macrumors 601

TI-86. I realize the TI-89 is better in almost every way, but I always used the TI-86 and it was great.

12. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Texas Instruments. :D

[​IMG]

Edit: Here is the site where I got that pic. Incredible.

13. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Agreed. The current HP-50G (and the prior near-same 49G+) knock the socks off a TI-89 Ti, though. My HP-15C is still tops, though. RPN rules :)

14. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

The HP-50G is fantastic, yes. If you're regretting your purchase, I'd strongly recommend swapping. If you're on a budget, the 49G+ is the same calculator in a different (albeit uglier) case, and sells for far less. (I love my 49G+, and strongly prefer it to my TI-83+ (still have it from high school) and TI-89 Titanium (stolen in college))

15. TheSideshow macrumors 6502

TI is all Ive ever really used (To the dismay of my old Fluid Mechanics Thermal Measurement teacher)

16. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

TI. It's just easier, since everyone uses them both from my high school and now in college. I'd like an 89, but I really don't have a need for one.

17. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Nobody really needs a TI-89/HP-50. If you can't do calculus/diffEq by hand, you probably don't need the ability to do it on a calculator anyway. But when I'm in a hurry, I admit being lazy and having my calculator do symbolic math for me can be nice.

I'm not sure why you think TI is easier, though ;)

18. InsanelyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Really in my opinion the TIs suck. In algebra 2, I was supplied with an 84, but I used a different calculator the whole year, because I hated the 84.

19. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm surprised you don't have IOS/Android listed as a choice. The built in app works great for a basic calculator and there are many calculator apps that emulate the hp / ti / etc. scientific calculators. There is no reason to carry a separate dedicated calculator.

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I got TI-nspire. To be honest, I really didn't have much choice. My teacher uses TI so if you want to learn, you get TI. If you get some other brand, then she can't help you. Don't have anything to complain about though.

I think we are more or less talking about graphical or other more complex calculators. For me, it makes no difference is my scientific calculator Casio or Canon because the functions are so similar. With more complex calculators, there starts to be huge differences between the user interface, features etc.

Also, you need a dedicated calculator due to the fact that you cannot use your phone or iPod in an exam.

21. InsanelyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Well, there IS an other option.

22. InsanelyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Yeah, I was mainly talking about scientific and graphing calculators. Plus like he said iPods aren't allowed on exams.

23. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

See, there is your problem--you oughtn't be learning maths with a calculator--otherwise you're learning how to operate a calculator, not learning the mathematics. I strongly wish I'd never seen a graphing calculator of any form throughout high school--they're just not necessary. It makes me sick that the US AP Calculus exams are based around having symbolic-maths capable calculators.

And yes, so long as there are math tests where calculators are required/allowed, there will be a market for single-purpose calculator devices.

24. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't use the calculator that much. The biggest use for it is to calculate these normal multiplications and divisions :p Usually I don't touch my calculator until I have done the exam. Then I will just check that there are no stupid mistakes etc. At least in here, you are required to show ALL your work if you want full points so you will have to know how to calculate them anyway. Basically, the calculator is just for checking.