Favorite sodas

retta283

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
What's everybody's favorite soda?

I have type-2 diabetes so I drink diet. My favorites are Coke Zero (I like the new one too, it's not that different IMO) Diet Mountain Dew, Diet Sunkist, and Diet Pepsi with the old sweetener.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
I don't consume sweetened soft drinks but I'll sometimes have one of those natural sodas they sell. Strangest flavor I've had was lemongrass and strawberry.

I assume that "soda" is some sort of American English for 'soft drink'; in our part of the world, a soda describes something that is a very specific (and not that sweet) soft drink.
Yes, when I was a wee boy and in school, it was called a "soft one" and the first time I used it here I got strange looks.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
What’s soda? It’s pop! :p
At any rate, not much of a soda drinker. Mainly Coke/Pepsi, some Dr Pepper, or Jolt Cola.
I drink carbonated water everyday.

retta283

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
What’s soda? It’s pop! :p
At any rate, not much of a soda drinker. Mainly Coke/Pepsi, some Dr Pepper, or Jolt Cola.
I drink carbonated water everyday.
Where I come from we called every soft drink a Coke... I haven't had Jolt Cola in years

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Diet Dr. Pepper since it is widely available. I really like all of the “Ten” sodas, especially A&W Ten, but I can’t find it anywhere. It tastes exactly like regular A&W.

Joe h

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
Coke, unless it’s one of those ****** Pepsi restaurants, then Mountain Dew.

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Diet Dr. Pepper since it is widely available. I really like all of the “Ten” sodas, especially A&W Ten, but I can’t find it anywhere. It tastes exactly like regular A&W.
My understanding is that the lineup of "Ten" sodas has been "unofficially" (because their website still shows them, discontinued. Whether they rebrand it or reformulate it, and re-release it I am not sure.

Does Bing count as a soda? I do really like the Bing Black (cherry and blackberry juice) and Bing Crisp (apple and cherry juice) in particular, though I wouldn't turn down a Bing Cherry or Raz :)

I haven't tried the new Bing Z Kombucha yet.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I assume that "soda" is some sort of American English for 'soft drink'; in our part of the world, a soda describes something that is a very specific (and not that sweet) soft drink.
Soda in the US refers to carbonated drinks (also called soft drinks, soda pop, and just pop) versus traditional soda water, although there are also flavored soda water. My favorite soft drink is sparkling (carbonated) waters, one of my favorite is the highly carbonated brand Topo Chico imported from Mexico.

D9B513B1-ED5F-4D2E-848B-C76C3D88DCE6.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Soda in the US refers to carbonated drinks (also called soft drinks, soda pop, and just pop) versus traditional soda water, although there are also flavored soda water. My favorite softbdrink is sparkling (carbonated) waters, one of my favorite is the highly carbonated brand Topo Chico imported from Mexico.

Yes, it seems to me that the use of (and understanding of) the word 'soda' is one of the key vocabulary differences in English as spoken (and written) either side of The Pond.

Reactions: Huntn

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I drink mostly iced tea and club soda these days, but some old favorites... Ginger ale, Coke Zero, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper. Also Red Bull, if we're including energy drinks.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
When I was a child, my parents bought us Coca-Cola as a treat for special occasions - holidays, birthdays - but it was never freely available; as children, we drank orange juice, water or milk, and sometimes tea or coffee.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
• New Coke (yes, I was one of the few who actually liked the new formula back in the 80s)
• Jolt Cola
• Walmart's version of Coke
• RC Cola (when they were using sugar and not HFCS)
• Pepsi with real sugar

If I have any addictions at all, it's soda. In high school and my early 20s I would go through a 2 liter every day and a half. If I am on a binge I can finish a 12 pack in two days or less.

Soda is responsible for me having had a Schatzki ring and therefore endoscopy with dilation. It is the single biggest reason I am on and will be on Omeprazole for the rest of my life. Despite that, I still drink the damn stuff. My body doesn't like HFCS but you can't avoid it in soda now.

I have however gone over to Pepsi for the most part. It's not as harsh. I used to be a Coke person. Dr. Pepper is becoming more of a thing for me though.

Pro tip: When you drink so much soda that it starts to taste like cough medicine when you drink it, it's time to stop for a while. :)

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
My understanding is that the lineup of "Ten" sodas has been "unofficially" (because their website still shows them, discontinued. Whether they rebrand it or reformulate it, and re-release it I am not sure.
Not surprised, but it is unfortunate. It looks to be so difficult to essentially create a new category of soda between full sugar/HFCS and full diet, one that is large enough to survive. Coke Zero seems to be one of the very few that has made some inroads.

Reactions: SDColorado