Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Yeah? Do you know which iPhone model did they unlock? What iOS it was running? That's right, you don't and they don't tell you. There are older versions of iPhone and iOS that can easily be hacked and there are newer ones not so easy.
What are you talking about? "They" told us that it was a 5c with iOS 9.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Lol the lying SoB's! I knew it!

At least it seems to be a difficult task, to crack an iPhone meaning lots of effort for each device.

Thank god Apple resisted them in the first place otherwise this would be an absolute security and privacy nightmare.

Apple - please tighten the bolts again and render this method useless.

Reactions: User 6502

easy4lif

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
Southbay CA
Apple 0. FBI 1

Everyone thought germanys enigma code was "unbreakable" too

Apple can spends billions developing the strongest encryption possible, the flaw will always be "its man made encryption"

Breaking news: FBI tells applle "go pound sand"

Reactions: tgara

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Look I understand that people are concerned about privacy, but rooting for accused murderers is just a little bit crazy. Unless you're planning to join ISIS or commit a serious felony the government isn't going to care about your iPhone.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
They can't even unlock iPhone 5c, they should ask the one who help the FBI unlock 5c phone.

this is just a PR to win back their lousy image..

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I have mine set to 5 attempts.
Didn't know you could do that...

Anyway, the delay after an incorrect attempt only kicks in after five attempts. That means anyone getting hold of your phone for a minute can prank you by entering five incorrect passcodes, and erasing your phone. Better have a backup.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Unless you're planning to join ISIS or commit a serious felony the government isn't going to care about your iPhone.

Says the person that feels safe and does not have any current dissenting/overly negative opinions of the government or society he/she lives under.

I am sure an anonymous female blogger in Saudi Arabia that feels women should have the same Rights as men would feel differently about your statement.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Look I understand that people are concerned about privacy, but rooting for accused murderers is just a little bit crazy. Unless you're planning to join ISIS or commit a serious felony the government isn't going to care about your iPhone.
If I say my opinion about Donald Trump, the next US government might care about my phone. Who knows?

Reactions: 480951 and DCIFRTHS

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Says the person that feels safe and does not have any current dissenting/overly negative opinions of the government or society he/she lives under.

I am sure an anonymous female blogger in Saudi Arabia that feels women should have the same Rights as men would feel differently about your statement.

The FBI doesn't work for the Saudi government so they wouldn't care about the hypothetical blogger.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Not trying to be a downer but I have 0 to hide. Let them eat cake if I become a murderer. Until then they have no reason to, nor would it benefit them in any way to look at my phone. In fact, I'd unlock it right now fr them if they asked.
The difference is "they asked," vs. just breaking into your phone.

Reactions: Jsameds

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The amazing thing about conspiracy theories is that when one is debunked another couple take its place. Based on some of the responses I've seen here that theory is alive and well lol.

Reactions: Moorepheus

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Not trying to be a downer but I have 0 to hide. Let them eat cake if I become a murderer. Until then they have no reason to, nor would it benefit them in any way to look at my phone. In fact, I'd unlock it right now fr them if they asked.

There's a major difference between hiding and privacy, though. If it's just a case of having "nothing to hide", go give your house key to everyone in your town that promises to only use it to VISIT unexpectedly, but not STEAL anything. "Promise!"

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I an talking about the device FBI have offered to help unlocking, related to this thread, but then you already know that.
No, I didn't already know that. You talked about past events (". . . did they unlock", "what iOS it was running") and since the current one hasn't been unlocked....

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Most important part is to set a long complex passcode. Letters, numbers, symbols, 20 characters long. Let em brute force that. You will be ash in your grave before they guess the combination.
You don't need 20 characters. The basic passcode checking mechanism on the iPhone is designed so that checking one passcode will take 80 milliseconds. If you keep it simple and take four random lowercase letters followed by four random digits, you have 4.5 billion combinations, which take 365 million seconds or 11 1/2 years to check.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Yes and I increased my screen pass code from 4 digits.

My suggestion to folks that have TouchID equipped devices is to use their AppleID password (p/w) for both their screen and iCloud Keychain unlock passcodes:

1. reset your passcode:
>settings
>TouchID & Passcode
>Enter old passcode
>Change Passcode
>Enter old passcode
>Passcode Options
>Custom Alphanumeric Passcode
>enter your AppleID password
>Use for iCloud Keychain? = yes
Notes:
a. A typical p/w is generally longer than a passcode, but if you use TouchID, you rarely have to enter them so the length difference is trivial;
b. Benefit of using AppleID p/w for lockscreen and iCloud Keychain passcodes is that you don't have to remember 3 separate "passthings", and by reusing the AppleID p/w in this way, you will be refreshing it in your mind each time you use it;
c. A note of caution: jealously protect your AppleID p/w as it is one of your most important p/ws. Don't share it. If you write it down, put it in a safe location. If you enter it in public, make sure you do it out of sight of prying eyes;
d. If you change any of your passthings (AppleID p/w, screen lock passcode, iCloud Keychain passcode, don't forget to change the others as well;
e. The screen lock passcode won't let you sequentially use the same code over again, so if for some reason you change this, you need to keep 1d above in mind.

2. set/reset your SIM PIN code:
>settings
>Phone
>SIM PIN
>turn on
>change PIN
>change to last 4-digits of your iPhone telephone number
Notes:
a. The reason for setting a SIM PIN is that if your phone is lost/stolen, a PIN protected SIM can't be pulled out of your phone and used by an unauthorized party;
b. The reason for relating your PIN to your phone number is so you can easily remember it, because there are several conditions under which the iPhone will demand the SIM PIN (I.e. Restarts after empty battery or s/w updates);
c. For security reasons, SIM PINs are randomly generated by phone companies at the time the SIM is manufactured, so that not every SIM card has the same default PIN. This is good for security but hard for users because they are randomly abstract and thus PINs are easy for many folks to forget;
b. Even folks (like Ali G) who can't remember their PIN codes, can usually remember their phone numbers, thus this eliminates the need to keep (or lose) the SIM carrier card issued by the phone company (or to write it down on a scrap of paper);
c. Thieves or finders of your phone won't know your phone number*, so any PIN derived from your phone number is randomly abstract to them;
* Unless they know you, or they get it via other means (i.e. By also stealing your wallet with a business card, receipt, or other item with your phone number on it);
d. For obvious reasons, it would not be too intelligent to have your phone number written on the case or inside a cover.

© 2016 Robert.Walter

Comment or feedback is welcomed.

Reactions: dk001

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Anyone setting up iOS 9 or restoring from backup will have a 6 pin code to enter unless they change it manually to a 4 pin code, so it's not 99.99999999
I have six digits, and there are no 10 billion phones, so it's less than 99.99999999%. Basic maths.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.