FBI Concerned With New Default Encryption Settings in iOS and Android Devices

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Sep 25, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The FBI has been in talks with Apple and Google about the way the technology companies are marketing the privacy features in their smartphones, according to FBI Director James Comey (via The Huffington Post). Comey says that he is concerned that the two companies are "marketing something expressly to allow people to place themselves above the law."

Comey's remarks come following both privacy changes introduced with iOS 8 and a new privacy site that Apple introduced last week, explaining that the company has altered the way encryption works in iOS 8. Apple no longer stores the encryption keys for devices in iOS 8, making it impossible for it to unlock content on devices under police request.

[​IMG]
    "Unlike our competitors, Apple cannot bypass your passcode and therefore cannot access your data," reads its new privacy site. "So it's not technically feasible for us to respond to government warrants for the extraction of this data from devices in their possession running iOS 8."

Shortly after Apple announced the encryption changes to iOS 8, Google announced that the next generation of Android, set to be released next month, will also encrypt data by default, providing the same encryption protections to its smartphones that a passcode provides to iPhones.

According to Comey, though he understands the need for privacy, he believes government access to electronic devices is necessary in some cases.
    He goes on to say that one day, it may matter "a great, great deal" that the government be able to infiltrate "a kidnapper's or a terrorist or a criminal's device." His goal, he says, is to have a "good conversation" in the country "before that day comes."

The exact nature of the talks between FBI officials and Apple and Google remains unknown, with Comey only stating that the discussion has been over the "marketing of their devices."

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: FBI Concerned With New Default Encryption Settings in iOS and Android Devices

2. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

yep, lets throw away everyones privacy to catch a thief. makes sense

3. arian19 macrumors 6502

Shouldn't the FBI be more concerned with PRISM

4. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

5. Sonmi451 Suspended

**** the FBI. I'll let you decide what those 4 asterisks mean.

6. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

people like you ruin it for everyone else

7. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

8. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

9. ghettochris macrumors 6502a

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Comey doesn't get it.

If he supports the 4th Amendment (like he says he does), then he needs to get a warrant and serve it to the suspect, to have their device unlocked. Apple is not the suspect in any investigation like he describes.

It sounds like he is complaining because the usual circumventions they had to get around the 4th Amendment are no longer available.. as it should be.

BL.

11. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I hate how authorities view the desire for privacy as the same as desire to cover up a crime. There are plenty of reasons to want to keep legal activities private other than committing a crime.

12. proline macrumors 6502a

The reality is that the mere existence of any kind of electronic back door is a major threat to user security that far outweighs any occasional benefit to legitimate police investigations.

13. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

What a bunch of @#$*!

What about all the data that is in my head??? The government is pissed they cannot have that too.

14. aprofetto8 macrumors regular

FBI's trying to hack my phone!

installs iOS 8.0.1

Nice try, effers.

15. flash84x macrumors regular

Keep instilling these fears in your citizens to breach their privacy... If there is a backdoor for you eventually anyone else can break into it.

16. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

Exactly! But they do have a system for that and it's called torture.

17. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

Haha, and of course he plays the "think of the children card".
    Boy, that's getting super old!

Glassed Silver:mac

18. Arcus macrumors 6502a

""marketing something expressly to allow people to place themselves above the law."

I am not above the law just because I dont want to include people in the conversation that I deem to not be allowed in my conversation. This statement is very Orwellian.

19. brendu macrumors 68020

It seems to me that it would be perfectly fair for the FBI to get a warrant requiring a suspect to unlock their phone so that it can be searched much the same way their house is. The FBI doesn't go to the bank that owns your house when they want to search it and likewise shouldn't go to apple to get my data. Serve me a warrant saying I have to give it to you or I go to jail. That's how lawful search and seizure works. Deal with it FBI.

20. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

21. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

And what happens if they do get a warrant and the suspect refuses to unlock their device? That is the issue.

If the police have a warrant to search my house, they have a variety of means to gain entry if I do not unlock the door.

Hell, if I own a safe and the government has a warrant, safe manufacturers will assist in opening the safe.

22. leroypants Suspended

23. jlasoon macrumors 6502

I'm starting to really hate all forms of government.