Fear for the Base 15" 2016 rMBP because of dGPU ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by augustya, Oct 28, 2016.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Hi Guys,

Long I have been made to understand that if I want longevity out of my Macbook Pro, If I want the Macbook Pro to last longer I should avoid buying a machine with a dedicated GPU there are too many GPU failures and the fact that it generates too much of heat for the other components to fail on the Motherboard. I am contemplating buying a 15" rMBP one which is the entry level for 2016. But Apple has put me in a Cache 22 situation by only making a 15' rMBP with dedicated GPU. I am now in a fix I dont wanna give up on a 15' rMBP because of the Screen Real Estate. is my fear Justified ? Will My Fear come true ? I am looking to use my Macbook Pro for 5+ Years. Do you guys think the current 15' rMBP with the dedicated GPU may fail or generate too much heat to cause problems for other components on the motherboard to fail. It has happened to me in the past where my Sony Vaio discreet GPU caused my display to go corrupt. Any thoughts ?

2. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

I'm on 4.5 years with my 2012 15"rMBP and have had no issues with its dedicated GPU. So it is possible. Because I have it plugged in most of the time I have it set to only use the dedicated one unless I'm travelling. So I've been using it more than average over that 4.5 years.

3. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Ok so you are saying you have set it (Your dGPU) to use more than your iGPU and still it is working ok for you that's what you are saying ?

4. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Other important thing that I would like to know is, if i am not using any GPU intensive work that too not for long period of times am I still in the risk of a GPU failure and there by a complete machine failure ?

5. BondFancy macrumors 6502

Commenting because I have the same exact dilemma.

6. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Only time will tell. The latest mobile GPUs from AMD are supposed to run relatively cool though and consume less power. This would make failure through excessive heat less likely than older generations.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i don't trust apple with dgpus. every model that has them seems to have issues

8. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

What concerns me more is, having to also drive the touch bar - and all of this with a reduced battery capacity of 74 whr, the older model had a fantastic 99 whr capacity.

9. puma1552 macrumors 601

6 years on a Mid-2010 MBP docked to a 24" Cinema display, on the dedicated GPU at all times and zero issues in 6 years.

10. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Did you switch on and off the dedicated GPU using any APP according to your use ?

11. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

I have some toolbar app that allows me to either make it use the integrated or the dedicated or dynamic switch. Most of the time I had it using only the dedicated while plugged in at home. When travelling I switch it to the default dynamic switching. That same toolbar app gives me a notification every time it switches. When on dynamic it literally switches back and forth with every new website you visit. Constantly switching which I don't know if that is good or bad for the longevity?

So yes I had it switched to just use the dedicated probably 80% of its 4.5 year lifetime.

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

It`s no secret that Apple has had a poor track record with the MacBook Pro & dGPU, nor is it easy to come up with a definitive answer, as the usage is very much a defining factor. I would wait until some of the more reputable reviews are out so you have an indication how hot the dGPU runs, I would also want on the tear-downs. You will then be very much more informed to make a decision.

The MBP is clearly improving, and the reliability of the dGPU is an aspect of this. Ultimately if you want a 2016 15" MBP there is little in the way of options, personally I wouldn't dwell on it overly, however such an expensive notebook with a less than stellar history, I would be inclined to take out insurance against premature failure/damage.

Q-6

13. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

If you're concerned about this, as you should, I would not risk it. It's a slimmer design, and a "new" fan design that we don't know how it'll work.

For people who say that their MBP's don't experience any problems, good job - you are literally contributing nothing. A virus can have 10% efficacy rate. A doctor won't care about the 90% of patients who don't have the virus and not contribute any symptoms - they're more concerned with that 10% to figure out more of the disease.

Same thing with the dGPU options. I don't care that your laptop is perfectly fine.

14. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

I will add my two cents here. I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro unibody with a nvidia dedicated gpu. I run windows in boot camp often and it runs hot. This does not stop me from over clocking both my CPU and GPU for gaming. This computer is now 8 years old and still runs and performs as well as the first day.

My point being, that I have abused my MacBook with a dedicated GPU and have no problems. I see no reason why the new MacBook with a dedicated GPU would have any problems. Will it get hot? Most likely, but chips are designed to handle the heat and the computer casing getting hot does indicate that the cooling system is drawing the heat away from the chips as it should.

15. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

When you say you would not dwell overly you mean, you would not too much worry about the dedicated GPU that's what you are saying right ? With Insurance do you mean extended Apple Care ? or Insurance as in Insurance ?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 28, 2016 ---
    Was the Toolbar APP " GFXCARDSTATUS" ?

16. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

If you want the 15" you have to go with dGPU, I would just use it. Apple care is a limited product, I would tend to look at a solution that also covers accidental damage. Much is going to related to your usage, if you frequently stress the dGPU the chance of failure clearly increases.

I think another way to look at it is this; what would be the impact to you if it did fail? if the answer is a big issue look elsewhere. Right now on such a new product no one can really give you a definitive answer. Maybe if you outline your usage you will get a clearer picture, equally it can only be based on users previous experience with older hardware.

Personally I don't over think it, then again I don't run my Mac`s professorially past 24 months, then they get gifted out to family. Once more details are revealed it will be an easier decision, right now my advice is to wait a little, let the reviews roll in and let the factory perfect the assembly.

FYI GFXCardStatus is more of an advisory tool, nor does it stop the dGPU engaging.

Q-6

17. puma1552 macrumors 601

No. It switches to dedicated as soon as the external is plugged in.

18. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Yes that's what it is coming out to be if I want the 15" rMBP I do not have a choice. My usage is absolutely not professional neither I am a music or a film producer nor do I work extensively on graphics I am an occasional gamer and occasional pro use with pro I mean (Photoshop and stuff etc). But I want the 15" for the screen Real Estate.

If this guy @arbitrage is not using GFXCARDSTATUS which tool bar APP would he be talking about ?

19. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Don't know on the App, if you go to GFXCARDSTATUS web page it states clearly why the App does not enforce, as it basically resulted in more issues. I am an engineer in the energy industry so I do push the machines at times when needed. MBP`s are not designed with gaming in mind, equally they cope with casual gaming.

To me your concern is valid, equally not an issue, as stated just wait a little and see what the experts say. dGPU issues generally raise their head after 2-3 years. Life`s already too short, buy what you want and enjoy it, "if" the financials are an aspect cover yourself with Apple Care and or insurance, most of all enjoy your new Mac :)

Q-6

20. dk808 macrumors 6502a

21. augustya, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016

augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

You have said before that, wait till you hear and read some reviews on this Macs, but that would be some time before the actual reviews come out, perhaps we are talking about anytime from a month to three months to maybe also six months for the dGPU performance to be evaluated. So do you mean I hold on my decision to buy the new Mac for six month :) Sure I am not rushing in to any buying right now, I wanna wait out before I see some unboxing and maybe some reviews. But six months Will that be not too much of waiting ?

22. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I would expect the reviews to start flowing in the next 3-4 weeks at most. As for guaranteed longevity you need to wait years, and then the hardware is outdated. If you want one, buy one, if you have concerns just make sure you have extended coverage simple as that.

If it`s a grave concern then the new rMBP is not for you as there is and always will be an elevated risk of GPU failure due to Apple using consumer grade components and pushing them to their maximum thermal limits. You want thin, you want light this is the trade off.

Q-6

23. Steveo13 macrumors regular

Steveo13

I have a dedicated gpu in my 2010 macbook pro (nvidia 330m GT) and it helped me out because the intergraded graphics stopped functioning for some reason and my warrenty expired so I just turned off the automatic switching and constantly run off the 330M.

24. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

I really wanna know the name of that APP where by you can force the rMBP to either force to only use iGPU or only use dGPU. I really wanna know that APP.

25. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

There is no App with this function, the Dev stopped this functionality years ago as either macOS disregards the App or it results in other App`s crashing.

Q-6