Feeling cheated

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by manapple, Feb 28, 2011.

1. manapple macrumors member

I bought the MBP 13 inch exactly 1 week before the upgrade came out (17th) in India. I have heard that you can exchange it for the upgraded version in the US. I know someone who is going to Jakarta right now, should I give him my Mac so that he could maybe try and exchange it there? What is the policy on this upgrade? And in India??

thanks for reading.

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

The policy is not the same for resellers. As there are no Apple Stores in India, it is likely you will be unable to return the computer. However, you could always try at the shop you bought it from.

3. manapple thread starter macrumors member

what is the policy btw? and i doubt that reseller will take it back.

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

5. nitro912gr macrumors member

Rumors for the whole line up refresh around this time of year started to emerge 2-3 months ago.
    You are not cheated, just not informed.
    Do a better research before your next buy. :)

6. manapple thread starter macrumors member

ya...7 days back it was called the new mac book pro on the apple site. then suddenly overnight the NEW mac book pro is the old version? Why write new and mislead people then? Plus there is a policy all over the world except here. And apple on their own accord gave the new macs to people who were expecting the old one who ordered within 3-5 days. So yes. I have been cheated.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Apple's return policy doesn't matter, as it only applies to the stores that they operate, not the stores operated by independent resellers.

What is the return policy of the reseller that YOU purchased from?

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Apple does not have a direct presence in India. So return policies are up to the resellers.

Also you were not cheated. When you bought the Mac it was an acceptable price or you would not have bought it. It also was the new Macbook Pro at the time of purchase. As the current model was not released yet.

Now I could understand it being frustrating that the release came so soon. But it is unreasonable to hold Apple accountable for the return policies of resellers. They have no control over that.

9. manapple, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2011

manapple thread starter macrumors member

So how else am I supposed to get a mac in India? there are no apple stores, only authorised resellers. Authorised. Its the same feeling you would have if they moved that policy from where you are. what would you say then?

EDIT:

Anyway, whats done is done. I wont harp on this any more.

10. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Ok, there are several factors at play here.

First, obviously you are tech-savvy enough to realise MacRumors exists. Rumors of a refresh have been floating around for months. Second, if you had in any way followed the product refresh cycle, you would realise one is due. Third, the policy is a goodwill gesture. Very few companies allow you to return an open, used product 2 weeks after purchase. I have no expectation Apple would do this, but they choose to, in their own stores. All in all, I do understand how you feel, but if you had done even the most preliminary research into the product before you bought it, you would realise there was a new release imminent.

11. manapple thread starter macrumors member

Now I know, that Mac rumors exists. Plus, the truth is I had no idea they would upgrade so quickly. I really thought it was "NEW". Anyway. Forget it.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you ever chose to buy an Apple again, bookmark the "Buyer's Guide" tab that's at the top of MacRumors.

It gives you the update history for virtually every Apple product, as well as an educated guess on when the next refresh may occur.

13. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Sorry you feel cheated. If you wait long enough, Apple will upgrade its technology. Technology never stands still.

14. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

People here are being too hard on you.

If you bought it in India then maybe English is not your first language and probably you didn't grow up amidst American marketing-speak. If that's true, then your interpretation of "New" makes good sense to me.

When I was in the classroom (college professor) I would occasionally make an error typing up exam questions - a typo or a wrong word that slipped in. In every case it was the students for whom English was a second language who picked up the error and asked for clarification. The other students went right along without worrying about it because they interpreted it as a typo or slip, deduced what I meant, and went on.

But for the ESL students, every word mattered and every word was examined and interpreted.

What I'm saying is that if I looked at "New Macbook Pro" on the Apple site I wouldn't automatically assume that it really was the "New Macbook Pro," because I know that for Apple, "New" can mean "anything we've introduced in the last year or so."

15. Littleodie914, Feb 28, 2011

Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

OP:

You're not going to get a lot of help around here (or anywhere, for that matter) with that kind of attitude. The guy was just trying to defend you, and you insulted him.

16. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I picked up a SantaRosa Macbook about a week or two before the Penryn Macbook came out. I had to pay restocking to return it and get the new one but I thought it was worth it because the upgrades would have cost far more than the restocking fee. Now I know to go take a look at the Macrumors Buyer's Guide before purchasing any Apple gear.

I'm not sure how long it takes new Apple gear to get out to every region so you might be past the (somewhat) standard 30 day return policy before the newer models are available in India. I suggest you return it to the store you bought it first. If that doesn't work, then you can try returning it here but I think there will be issues with purchasing in one region and returning in another region.

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Your computer WAS "new", until you bought it. NOW it is "used".

Seriously, this incarnation of the Mac Pro will be new, until the next refresh. Do your homework before you purchase. Apple produst are the best value new just after the release. You have a fine computer that will last you for years. It is not suddenly useless.

Caveat emptor.

18. eternlgladiator, Feb 28, 2011

eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

OP:

wow buddy. take a chill pill. nobody is going to help you with that crappy attitude.

19. manapple thread starter macrumors member

He is surely being racist.

@That guy - Dont talk to me about my language or nationality. Done even assume that. And dont give sermons about your sordid affairs with other people who could not speak the language.

20. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

It's certainly a touchy subject, but I really think he was just trying to be helpful. Now's the time to let it go, and stay on topic. If this turns into an argument the thread will certainly be closed and you won't get the help you came here for in the first place.

Since you bought your machine from a retailer, you'll have to check with them concerning returns or swapping for newer units. It's not between you and Apple, it's between you and whoever you bought the machine from.

You can only have the newest machine for a maximum of 7-8 months, so if you paid the money you did for the machine you currently have, you must have felt it was worth it. And while I can understand your frustrations, technology moves fast and you can't blame Apple for not giving everyone a "heads up" before they release new products.

Many people weren't very happy with the 13" MBP refresh this past week anyway. You're not missing out on much.

21. kustardking macrumors regular

Wow what a nutty thread

1) Apple *is* disingenuous with their "New" label. For proof, just look at their refurbished section. It lists the "New" stuff as "current generation." I absolutely see the OP's frustration.

2) Unfortunately, buying Apple comes with a large serving of Buyer's Remorse - ALWAYS

3) Buyer's Remorse, however, when Apple is concerned, is mitigated by the fact that Apple will reward you with an improvement on your product of choice on a yearly cycle. You have something to look forward to. I know this doesn't help much, but they do have a cycle you can count on.

4) The professor guy was NOT being evil towards you - don't take your Apple anger out on him. If you don't agree with his assessment, ignore him or correct him and move on.

Best of luck on the return.

22. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Where do you see this? I only see "Originally released MM YYYY" for all the products.

23. manapple thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for understanding. And yes, I seem to have gotten what most people here think about the upgrade issue. By the way, I spoke to the retailer earlier during the day, and they said they would replace it (mostly because my dad is an old customer), if it were in perfect condition. I have installed softwares this week, but I hope that they take it back because the hardware is in perfect condition. I will be mac-less for a month or so before the upgrade comes in.

Regarding people being unhappy about the upgrade, all I could see specs-wise was that the battery power on offer is 3 hours lesser than the previous edition. Is there more to this?

24. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

The battery power is actually assumed to be the same, Apple's using more "real-world" tests to estimate battery life. (I think they use half-screen brightness while web browsing with wifi.)

Most people were disappointed with the graphics card, which benchmarks are showing is about as fast as the 320M in the laptop you currently own, and with the lack of a 1440x900 screen resolution option, which is the resolution found on the 13" Macbook Air.

Glad to hear your reseller is taking the machine back, that's quite nice of them. :)

25. manapple thread starter macrumors member

It is quite nice of them. I never even thought that they would be the ones who would make the exchange, because its due to no fault of theirs at all. I was going after apple india for the past 3 days. But after reading the first few comments, I immediately contacted the reseller.