iPhone 11 Pro Feeling ripped off after recent 11 Pro purchase.

s54

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
I bought the 11 Pro in midnight green yesterday. It’s 256GB just like my iPhone 8.

Anyway, I feel ripped off and thinking about returning it. It’s more than twice the price, but it’s not twice the phone. I was honestly looking forward to this purchase. I thought that I would be satisfied, but I’m not.

In fact, I hardly notice a difference between the two phones in terms of usefulness. The OLED is a little better, but I honestly don’t notice it. I feel that my iPhone 8 is still plenty good and fast with iOS 13. I don’t play games and I feel that I don’t need the better internal specs.

Battery life on the 11 Pro is better. That’s the only advantage that I see. Otherwise, the Pro is just too bulky and heavy. I feel that the 8 is the perfect size for one hand use.

It just feels like the latest and greatest doesn’t offer anything particularly worthy of an upgrade, especially at $600 more.

I’ve seen plenty of posts about how smartphones have reached a plateau and now I finally understand what that means.

Dexterama

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New England
I agree with above, the base 11 price is easier to live with if you just want to dabble in the notch form factor, FaceID, etc. The 8 is only a couple of years old. It may get lost in conversation with the X, XS, and 11, but the 8’s are still plenty capable.

Rigby

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
If anything, this shows that the 8 is still a damn good phone. My better half received her 11 Pro yesterday and after playing with it I felt a bit disappointed too. I'm not big into photography and don't game on phones, so for me it's essentially just a more expensive and heavier phone (which is clearly felt if you walk around with it in your pocket) without offering much benefit in return. The only thing I'd really like to have is eSIM/dual SIM since I travel a lot internationally. I hope the rumors are true that Apple will bring a refreshed version of the 8 next spring ...

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
I had a similar feeling when I went to collect my iPhone 11 Pro Max 512gb. When I went to the Apple Store to collect my order, I tested the phone out. I felt it was not worth to upgrade my phone this year.

I cancelled my order and have decided to wait for the 5G model next year which will have a new form factor and pencil support, too. That will be a big upgrade.

I know it is fun to upgrade to a new iPhone and watch every year, but this year Apple has not done much for me to spend another US $2000 for a new phone and watch.

I will surely do so next year without hesitation.

My carrier even offered me a special deal because my 2 year contract is ending soon. I requested the, to work out a plan in which I can get that deal next year. Don’t mind getting a free iPhone 12 Max, next year. He he!

Any have to miss out with the fun this year.

Banglazed

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I had a similar feeling when I went to collect my iPhone 11 Pro Max 512gb. When I went to the Apple Store to collect my order, I tested the phone out. I felt it was not worth to upgrade my phone this year.

I cancelled my order and have decided to wait for the 5G model next year which will have a new form factor and pencil support, too. That will be a big upgrade.

I know it is fun to upgrade to a new iPhone and watch every year, but this year Apple has not done much for me to spend another US $2000 for a new phone and watch.

I will surely do so next year without hesitation.

My carrier even offered me a special deal because my 2 year contract is ending soon. I requested the, to work out a plan in which I can get that deal next year. Don’t mind getting a free iPhone 12 Max, next year. He he!

Any have to miss out with the fun this year.
I agree with you as well. I was hesitant to place my preorder after assessing the total cost less any resell value of my XS Max with AC+ Theft and my current giftcards. However, I was tempted from all the reviews about how great the camera is with Night Mode that I visited the Apple Store just to check it out. I've decided to wait till next year for even better upgrade.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
I would either return it or get an 11

Or wait another year be willing to spend same amount of cash obviously getting a better model if it’s all the same

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
I agree with you as well. I was hesitant to place my preorder after assessing the total cost less any resell value of my XS Max with AC+ Theft and my current giftcards. However, I was tempted from all the reviews about how great the camera is with Night Mode that I visited the Apple Store just to check it out. I've decided to wait till next year for even better upgrade.
The other reason why I decided to wait is because I also have a very capable iPad Pro 11 (1TB, 6GB Ram), which I carry around everyday.

Spending so much for a minimal speed bump is not wise.
Yes the camera functions are better but the current phone already doesn’t most of the features anyway. The rest I will probably not use.

Next year will get a better phone at the same price or lower.

Reactions: Abazigal

chrismichael83

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
I bought the 11 Pro in midnight green yesterday. It’s 256GB just like my iPhone 8.

Anyway, I feel ripped off and thinking about returning it. It’s more than twice the price, but it’s not twice the phone. I was honestly looking forward to this purchase. I thought that I would be satisfied, but I’m not.

In fact, I hardly notice a difference between the two phones in terms of usefulness. The OLED is a little better, but I honestly don’t notice it. I feel that my iPhone 8 is still plenty good and fast with iOS 13. I don’t play games and I feel that I don’t need the better internal specs.

Battery life on the 11 Pro is better. That’s the only advantage that I see. Otherwise, the Pro is just too bulky and heavy. I feel that the 8 is the perfect size for one hand use.

It just feels like the latest and greatest doesn’t offer anything particularly worthy of an upgrade, especially at $600 more.

I’ve seen plenty of posts about how smartphones have reached a plateau and now I finally understand what that means.
You prob would like the iPhone 11. Its the best of both worlds without the "Pro" price. The iphone 8 plus is a great phone. If you dont need to upgrade then dont. I was just done with the big top and bottom bezels. I tried the Max last year and while it was nice to have the 6.5 phone, I felt the software was not taking advantage of that real estate (no true multitasking) not to mention seeing a 1200 phone on my account. For 749 (128g) iPhone 11 is perfect. 6.1 is great, its battery is crazy good and now having the ultra wide angle.

Reactions: JRoDDz

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
In HK and China, the response for the iPhone 11 Pro is not that great. Not as the previous iPhone sales.

May be Apple will hit back next year.

Hope they also come out with a circle watch. That would be amazing.

blairh

macrumors 68040
Dec 11, 2007

I used an XS Max for a year. About 3 months into the experience, I realized I was absolutely wasting money by doing so. With my AT&T Next plan, I 'downgraded' to an 8 Plus this month. The 8 Plus is half the price of a base model Pro Max. I honestly love my 8 Plus and feel it has advantages over the XS Max and the Pro Max. (Easier to reach home button, control center, battery percentage icon, my eyes prefer the LCD.) The only way I would splurge for an iPhone again is if it ever folds one day. Otherwise, with the current form factor of the iPhone lineup, I think anything over $600 is a total waste of money for an iPhone.

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
I always purchase 64gb phones so the pro pricing is not as far away from the standard 11 price. Just move your photos more often and save heaps of money. Apple charges wayyyyyy too much for memory on the iPhones.

s54

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Well, I ended switching over to and restoring everything on my iPhone 8. And I must say that I love it. Feels so lightweight in comparison. Now I’m convinced that I’m not missing out on anything.

I’m returning the 11 Pro on Monday. I appreciate everyone’s input. I’m glad that I bought this phone and gave it a try because I wouldn’t have known what I’m missing (or not missing, in this case) otherwise.

I can truly operate the 8 with ease using one hand. Also, I’m not sure if anyone else experienced this, but after using the Pro, I came to the conclusion that the borderless design is not very practical. I found myself touching the borders inadvertently all the time with parts of my palm. And while the thick borders on 8 look a little dated, they work so well for me.

Last edited:

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
Diminishing returns for top-end items, of all kinds. It's not proportional. That's why it's 'diminishing returns'.

This thread title is amusing, but understandable.

Reactions: Wags

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
I always purchase 64gb phones so the pro pricing is not as far away from the standard 11 price. Just move your photos more often and save heaps of money. Apple charges wayyyyyy too much for memory on the iPhones.
I was wondering how difficult it would be to live with 64gb. My 7 is using 72 out of 128 without a ton of anything in particular hogging space. If I get an 11 I’ll spring for more memory ($100) but the Pro is pricey enough that I don’t want to drop an extra $150.

Sikh

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
I don’t see it in this thread and if it was posted I apologize for missing it but my question is

What made you upgrade? If it was the “hype” or “let’s see what the latest and greatest has to offer” then that’s kind of on you for not doing your research / testing a demo at any electronic / carrier store before buying it. This means you weren’t “ripped off” just not impressed which is fine and fair given what you use your phone for and don’t use it for.

if you bought it for Face ID, the camera, better battery life, etc then I’m surprise you think the 8 is better than the 11 pro. Either way some already pointed out that this goes to show how capable the iPhone 8 generation still is and it also shows how great it is that Apple supports phones for 4+ generations with newer IOS releases versus barely 1 version or a “guaranteed 2 years of support” that Android has.

i know people like to say “Apple forces your battery life to be **** after an update, forces your phone to all of a sudden crash / have issues, etc” but as most of us know that’s complete horse ****.

I remember when iOS 7(?) came out and my 4s(?) all of a sudden felt laggy. I quickly found out it was because of the new animations and load on the GPU that obviously my old device couldn’t handle. I turned that **** off and my phone was back to being its normal self if not a bit faster. This was also back in the day where turning spotlight off also made your phone as fast or faster than you were use to. This didn’t have anything to do with Apple forcing phones to just be **** all of a sudden / users to upgrade, it just had to do with aging hardware.

obviously with metal and all the other improvements this has gotten a lot better but people like to bitch about anything and everything, especially when it comes to apple.

anyway I hope you enjoy your 8 until it’s fully lived it’s life (logic board dies or it’s just too damn old) or a new model comes out that you fall in love with.

i would still be using my iPhone 7 Plus (loved this phone so much) if it wasn’t for a free upgrade every year for no price change (att next) and a better camera or screen every upgrade and guaranteed better battery life. I went from the XS Max to 11 Pro for camera and battery life. If it wasn’t for these, would’ve easily kept my XS Max and wouldn’t have upgraded even thou I would be paying for a “old phone” with no reward. The hassle of setting up a new phone (I always set up as new) wouldn’t have been worth it if the upgrades were minor but thankfully for me they werent.

UrbanGeek

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2015
DFW, Texas
I think of you don’t feel the price is worth it then return it. It’s your money and you should be happy.

for me it was a completely justified purchase. I love it.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Im happy with my decision to upgrade from the X to the 11 pro Max I love the new screen size and the battery life but I did a carrier upgrade so the out of pocket cost was only $260 I dont think I could justify buying out right this year I am putting the $2200 towards a Disney vacation for my Wife and my self if we decide to go this year.

TJ82

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
What was the thing you expected from the 11 Pro?

Anyone into tech knows this year knows the 11 Pro is just about the 3rd camera. Chip wise the 11 Pro is dated on release and it's not that people notice much difference with chips anyway unless coming from a much older phone. Apps open a little faster maybe, big deal. People upgrading are either coming from a much older device, or stuck in an upgrade loop sadly.

iOS13 and Apple Arcade do the heavy lifting this year, but you'll get that on any iPhone.