Fell, macbook damaged, am I screwed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jp93, Aug 12, 2010.

1. jp93 macrumors regular

So I was placing something on a high shelf and it fell of directly on my 2 day old macbook :mad: There is a huge scratch on the back of the computer by the apple logo which is also slightly dented...

I turn my computer on, everything seems to be working okay. But now every 5-10 seconds or less, a part inside the computer seems to be shaking making almost a clicking noise. Now I know that accidental damage isnt covered in Apples warranty, and probably not in Apple Care either.

Am I screwed? Do I have any options to try and get it fixed? The back i dont really care about, I can buy a case. But the noise cant be good. it happens most when Im typing or moving the computer so I assume the part is just floating around inside the computer.

Please tell me that there is something I can do.

anyone?

2. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

sorry bro..... but unless you bought the Best Buy ADH, a third party warranty from say SquareTrade, or something like that. You will have to cover this out of pocket.

Apple might be sympathetic and try and help you in some way, but they won't cover it for you.

Edit; clicking noise is bad news, get your lappy fixed before whatever that is breaks something else/ becomes broken, otherwise the bill will just get higher.

3. jp93 thread starter macrumors regular

Great...I figured it would be out of pocket. But I can get it fixed at Apple right? I wonder how much that will cost..

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Check your home or contents insurance. I have free accidental damage upto £25,000 on all electronics.

5. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

Sounds like a hard drive issue if it's clicking. There aren't any other physically moving parts in the computer that would he making a clicking noise.

6. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Yeah? There are those blowy things called fans :p

7. jp93 thread starter macrumors regular

Some more info,

Letting the computer sit still, the noise does not occur. It only happens when I am typing and then stop, or when I tilt/move the computer. All lighting works, apple logo on the back lights up, screen is perfectly fine.

I set up a genius bar appt for tomorrow, hopefully they can figure it out. I REALLY hope that nothing is seriously wrong, because there is nothing wrong with the computer performance wise. Only damage is the scratches/dent on the top of the computer and this clicking noise.

8. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

O yea I forgot about those. That would be a cheaper fix to

9. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Apple are gonna take advantage of you. Just phone your home or contents insurance provider, see if you're covered. THEN take it in and get a quote for repair from apple.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you paid with a credit card, the card may offer accidental damage and theft coverage for 90 days after a purchase. Couldn't hurt to check with them, too.

11. jp93 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, how would I go about doing that?

UPDATE

Just phoned my dad, we paid for it with an AMEX card. Does AMEX have accident assurance?

12. vant macrumors 65816

Yes they do. 90 days.

13. MrCooperS macrumors member

I think they do, but I also believe it is a optional service that you have to sign up for when you sign up for your card. You can always call and ask.

14. vant macrumors 65816

It is standard.

15. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

so it would seem things are going to be ok

note to self, don't position MBP below heavy object precariously being put on shelves.

16. advres, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2011

advres Guest

advres

File it under the "no ****, sherlock" file for future reference. :p

17. jp93 thread starter macrumors regular

actually, I was placing the object on the shelf, and it slipped out of my hand. Completely my fault, but still made me mad.

I have another question, can Apple replace aluminum part of the computer that actually shows the damage? Ill take a picture and post it to show you what I mea.

18. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I think the case can be replaced on nay part really, bottom is obviously the easiest to replace.

But Everything can be replaced externally I believe. I had a friend spill tea in their 13", her dad took 6 hours and took out the keyboard, cleaned it out and replaced it.

External cosmetic stuff is normally repairable. With enough money

19. jp93 thread starter macrumors regular

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

21. jp93 thread starter macrumors regular

I already read that, thank you for the link though. I'm hoping for less than a grand it can be too. However, I'd prefer them to fix the internals. If the case an be fixed for under that, great. However if it cant I will be buying the speck seethru satin and it will look fine.

22. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Well remove the bottom cover an see if he fan or hard drive is lose.

23. jp93 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not about to void the warranty on my 2 day old computer. I'll let Apple take a look and give me a quote then file a claim with Amex

24. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

You are able to do as much as replace the HD yourself or upgrade the RAM without voiding it. Just opening the bottom won't do anything either.

25. jp93 thread starter macrumors regular

hmm, well I apologize for my response. I just dont feel that my technical abilities are strong enough to do that and be able to assess any sort of problem.