Fellow early 3GS users, we are stuck again in the "S" cycle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SiMBa37, Oct 4, 2011.

1. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

The best time to buy an iphone was Launch day for the iPhone 4. Come 10/14/11, the only thing you'll miss is Siri and that's it. As a launch day 3GS adopter Ive stayed on the sidelines waiting until my contract expires for......another spec bump of last year's phone. Sigh.

2. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I don't care. It is still a major upgrade from my 3GS. :cool:

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I had a 3GS. I was cool with it. I don't care if there is an "S" on the end of my phone model #.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Yeah but you'll also get the iPhone 6S, 7S, 8S, and so on :). It isn't so bad.

5. gillybean macrumors 6502a

S isn't so bad, it means that many of the kinks have been worked out.

If you got iPhone 4 instead of iPhone 4s then you'd have to deal with things like potential antennae issues, and also the majority of your app icons not yet designed for retina display.

6. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I'm going to wait for the 5 (or is it 6 now). In the meantime, if my 3GS gives up, then I'll switch to Nexus or SGS2. But hopefully they put out the 5 early next year.

7. shortys408 macrumors regular

It is pretty easy to sell your phone and buy a new phone out of contract for under 200$. Last time I did this I ended up making money.

8. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

I hear you, and part of me wishes I'd bit the bullet, sold the 3GS and picked up a 4 last year like I was planning to...until Antennagate made me pause, and by then the backorder wait times killed my chances.

Although the 4S is a great upgrade coming from a 3GS, and I feel like I'm 95% sure to get one, I have a couple of nagging worries...

- Apple will bust out with the fabled iPhone 5 next year and make us "off-year" upgraders feel like crap again, except this time AT&T won't pull our upgrade eligibility ahead and we'll be stuck paying a lot more for the phone we felt we should have had this year.

- The competition from Android (and WP7) now is vastly fiercer than it was in 2009, and I find myself wondering what I'm missing. Wouldn't it be nice to just drag and drop files to the phone, enjoy a 4.5" screen, send HD video to my Samsung TV via Allshare...and so on?

But my wife is an avid Apple user, we've got an iPad at home and I've got three and a half years invested in the Apple mobile ecosystem. It makes just thinking about switching a tough call. And yet, I don't buy media from iTunes and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool PC user myself. I could keep my 3GS another year, but it's 27 months old and is showing (and feeling...and acting) its age. I'm torn.

I guess I'll have to make my mind up by Friday. And even if I do submit a pre-order, I'm going to keep one eye on the Nexus Prime announcement next week...just in case.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Neither the 3GS nor the 4S are incremental upgrades. In both cases you have a brand new phone on the inside. Sure, the chassis is the same; but a faster processor, more memory, better GPU? Those are the changes that really affect how you use a phone.

I have never regretted buying the 3GS, and I will not regret buying the 4S.

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

What's in a name?

Apple could have called this iPhone the iPhone 5 if they wanted to.

Dual Core A5 would be enough for me.

Things I'm happy about

Much faster though battery life increases
    Better Antenna
    Better camera
    Bluetooth 4.0
    Same case (means existing accessories and cases will work)
    Siri

11. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Just wait till next year, iPhone 5.

Unless It's an…..

iPhone 4GS :cool:

12. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Yup. I'll hold onto my 3GS another year to get onto a proper upgrade cycle and get a properly upgraded phone (bigger screen, more durable build, true 4G/LTE tech, thinner form factor).

This "S" garbage is stealing from customers -- getting them to sign 2 year service agreements to buy phones that are recycled from the previous cycle.

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

What the hell makes you think that next year's iPhone will have any of those things?

14. Hmm macrumors regular

Hmm

I don't feel stuck. I bought my 3GS on launch day and was eligible for the 4 in Feb but I decided to wait until the next phone came out. That was my choice and I don't have any regrets. Ordering a 64GB 4S on Friday.

15. Hey! macrumors member

I'm gonna get it, and get the next iPhone next year again

16. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Statements like this drive me crazy, it is not stealing from anyone. you do not have to buy it, no one is forcing you to do so.

It is a product either you buy it or you do not.

17. AJayAgliolio macrumors member

AJayAgliolio

Totally agree with this... The 4S is going to be a huge improvement over my 3GS and a lot of those iPhone 4 problems have been worked out... also, I see myself using Siri a lot, so I couldn't be happier.

Now I just have to stay up until 3:01 a.m. on Friday morning to preorder (eastern time.)

18. yagran macrumors 6502a

Does battery life really increase though? The 3G talk time goes up by 1 hour, yet the standby time goes down by a staggering 100 hours!
    Source: http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

To me that seems like that bigger processor definitely is curtailing battery life?

19. skaguyy macrumors newbie

Don't know about you, but I've rarely seen iPhones last over a day or 2. Neither of those quite hits even the 100 hours lost.

Doesn't seem like the iPhone is ever truly in standby, so not really a big deal

20. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Besides, I consider the 4S a supercharged iPhone 4 and I have no problem getting an improved iPhone 4 :D

21. Pooshka macrumors 65816

There, fixed it for ya.

22. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I know right, thats about 4 days! if you haven't used your smart phone over those 4 days, something is wrong. heh

23. Bag302 macrumors regular

Same boat here. My 3GS is long in the tooth. Instead of switching to Android though, I will consider buying a used iPhone 4 32gb and remain out of contract. Then dumping that thing when the iP5 comes out. Hopefully, Lining me up for the redesigned phones

My other choice is to buy a 64gb 4S w/contract and sell that when the next phone is releases. But this seems like more of a hassle, especially since I will probably lose my unlimited plan if I go this route.

I like the new 4S, but I don't "pay $400 and be stuck with it for 2 years" like it.

All I was really hoping for was a bigger screen.

24. Type X macrumors regular

True story
    I called my mom last night who's had her 16gb iPhone 4 for UNDER a year & she's eligible for the upgrade (as am i)
    and i told her to preorder get the 4s and i'll sell her 4 for her to be a wash for her.

Does she need all the bells & whistles... No

But i can't feel good about paying a bill every month knowing there is someone else paying the SAME THING & i dont have access to it

:)

25. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

That's very accurate, indeed.