Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Fiat Chrysler Announces New UConnect Infotainment System With CarPlay Support

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fiat Chrysler today announced the debut of its fourth-generation UConnect infotainment system, which includes support for both CarPlay and Android Auto, reports Fiat Chrysler Authority.

The revamped infotainment system features an updated 8.4-inch touchscreen with faster startup times, improved processing power, and a sharper display. It will be introduced initially in 2017 Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, and Dodge Challenger models, bringing CarPlay to those vehicles for the first time.

Fiat Chrysler previously previewed its fourth-generation UConnect infotainment system at CES in January and confirmed it would be released in select Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep models in 2016.

For older Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram vehicles, Fiat Chrysler introduced a free software update in April that brought Siri Eyes Free support to many properly equipped 2013 to 2015 models. Siri Eyes Free is a precursor to CarPlay, designed to minimize driver distraction by using Siri to allow drivers to interact with an iPhone.

CarPlay was first announced in 2013, but it took several years for vehicle manufacturers to adopt the new system. Since late 2015, CarPlay adoption has picked up and the feature is now available in more than 100 vehicles from dozens of manufacturers.

Apple maintains an official master list of all CarPlay vehicles available in the United States and other countries. It is updated on a regular basis, but may not include new CarPlay vehicles as soon as they are announced.

Article Link: Fiat Chrysler Announces New UConnect Infotainment System With CarPlay Support

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Would be nice if there would be an upgrade option for my brand new 2016 Jeep Cherokee ... but I doubt it.

I knew that they had plans to come out with it this year, but only rumors, it was never 100% confirmed and no date given - but than it would be nice to have, but is not a must have feature for me, so I decided not to wait an unknown amount of time. I had it once in a rental car and certainly enjoyed it, but it also shows me that it has less value for me than I expected (still nice to have)

No big deal if there is no upgrade, next time I buy a new car it probably will have it.

jvanus

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
Sweet. The uconnect system in my challenger is very very good. Carplay support was about the only thing it was missing. I hope it supports wireless carplay as the headunit does have wifi.

Justind

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Now only if it will be a free update on all unconnect units being it was promised when CarPlay was announced.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The master list is lead (in terms of the number of supported models) by Chevy, VW and Ford. Supposedly BMW was going to offer CarPlay as a $300 option in 2017 but none of their models are currently on the master list.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Too Little Too late, Ripped the crappy system out of my jeep and went Kenwood for Bluetooth connectivity, FCA fails this time.
Same. I didn't even get my Journey before the dealership ripped out the basic system and upgraded it to a Pioneer w/CarPlay. While the uConnect system has a great UI it's amp is no match for the Pioneer (even internal).

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
I will order a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 as soon as this is an option. They better hurry before gas prices rise and I change my mind!

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
CarPlay - the most buggy software from Apple I have ever used. A handful of apps available and they crash or don't load multiple times a day.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
I'm not surprised that FCA isn't making CarPlay backward compatible, but it's OK as I'm definitely not going to run out and trade in my Challenger for a new one just to get it. It's nice to have, but it isn't a must right now to me.

vipergts2207

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Chrysler has horrible customer service though, so best just to totally avoid the brand, no matter what tech they introduce.

Most people have experiences with cars that make them hate certain auto makers. You're no different. My parents both dislike Oldsmobile because of issues they had with one. To me GM makes trash cars. My girlfriend's 2010 Pontiac G6 has had multiple issues, including the driver's door handle coming off when she tried to open the door one day! Garbage cars and will never buy one. And that's small bore compared to the whole ignition switch issue that killed people and sent others unjustly through the criminal justice system. Meanwhile, my 2010 Charger, which I've had for nearly 3 years, has had only relatively minor issues. Dodge will certainly be on my shortlist when I buy a new car in a couple years.

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
The issue with CarPlay is entirely Apples fault. They raced it to market and demoed the tech without waiting for agreement to deploy it universally across all all models. It should have been included on premium models and at the very least an option on economy cars. As a result when I bought my car this summer dealerships that offered it had fairly poor selections. As a result I bought a car that doesn't work well with my iPhone, but great with my work Droid. My iPhone won't last as long my car. So yeah.

B4U

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Most people have experiences with cars that make them hate certain auto makers. You're no different. My parents both dislike Oldsmobile because of issues they had with one. To me GM makes trash cars. My girlfriend's 2010 Pontiac G6 has had multiple issues, including the driver's door handle coming off when she tried to open the door one day! Garbage cars and will never buy one. And that's small bore compared to the whole ignition switch issue that killed people and sent others unjustly through the criminal justice system. Meanwhile, my 2010 Charger, which I've had for nearly 3 years, has had only relatively minor issues. Dodge will certainly be on my shortlist when I buy a new car in a couple years.
Meanwhile FCA's UConnect system was wirelessly hacked...
https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

No automaker is perfect at the moment...it all comes down to what you like and what I like. :)

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Exactly how I feel. Chrysler *really* ripped me off when I paid that $1800 or so premium on the price of my 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon to get the "high end Alpine stereo system" with that RHR730N radio in it.

I was so desperate to try to wring some decent sound quality out of it without tearing it out that I invested well over $1,500 on upgrades to it. I added a 6 channel JL Audio amplifier and bypassed the factory one, replaced the front dash and rear sound-bar speakers with Infinity and Alpine 6.5" replacements, replaced the factory sub-woofer with an upgraded Pioneer sub that still fits perfectly in the factory enclosure, and added an AudioControl DQDX sound processor/EQ. Even after all of that? I got much louder, better, but still sub-par sound quality.

The fact that they labeled it an "Alpine" system borders on false advertising anyway. Every speaker I pulled out was just a standard issue Dodge/Chrysler speaker. No Alpine anything there. That 730N head-unit sure isn't Alpine. I believe the ONLY Alpine thing in the whole system is the factory amp, which appears to be one of Alpine's sound processing "Euphony" amplifiers except neutered with custom firmware flashed into it by Chrysler - which causes it to roll off the lows and highs so it's tougher to blow the factory speakers at high volume levels. (No concerns about it hurting the sound quality....)

To make matters worse, in 2015, they revised the whole thing so you got a much better sounding "premium" sound system. (They actually added tweeters in the sound bar and so forth.) Still stinks for what you pay for the thing ... but a slap in the face to people like me who got stuck with the worse version in the 2014's.

But yeah, it was apparent that the 730N radio used such old technology inside that it probably was never going to receive any of these upgrades like CarPlay. I suspect its CPU isn't even powerful enough and it may not have enough RAM in it to run the modern software on top of what it already does. The 40GB hard drive in it is so outdated, it still uses the old EIDE 40-pin ribbon cable to attach it -- not SATA!

Too Little Too late, Ripped the crappy system out of my jeep and went Kenwood for Bluetooth connectivity, FCA fails this time.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
This company won't be around in 5 years. Hopefully whoever gets Jeep won't be cursed like every other company before them. I love Jeep, but everyone who has ever owned them never survives.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I absolutely love. I wouldn't trade it for anything! (except for maybe a CarPlay version of it). When we (DC area) had 3 ft of snow last winter, I was out the next day. When we went to the outer banks and drove on the beach, nearly every car/suv was stuck in the high sand except for the Jeeps. I know nothing about cars but Chrysler offers a lifetime/unlimited miles bumper-to-bumper warranty (that I paid $2,198 for), so if it does break (hasn't yet -- at 70k miles now), oh well..I won't be paying for it.

My wife bought a 2015 Dodge Challenger last October and that is an awesome car too. Too bad they didn't get a CarPlay update, because they are much better radios that the old 430/730s.

I agree with the above poster that it is a shame that the Wranglers are still using the old 430/730 radios! Although, people don't buy the Wrangler for a great smartphone integration, but still. The new Wrangler will be out in 2018/2019 and I assume those will finally have modern radios in them.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Now that's not entirely a fair statement. Did you get the 8/120 ESP? or any ESP?

Heh... not sure. This was in the late 80s. It was my first car purchase, and under warranty. They refused to fix a problem that was an engineering defect. I argued with dealers/service centers, and even wrote the company (after escalating it to regional reps, etc.). I got a form letter back... declined. So, I wrote them again telling them I'd never buy one of their products again, and hopefully persuade others not to buy from them either... in my hopefully long motorist future (as I was like 17). Crickets. I had to pay and eventually sell the car to get away from the issue. (The clutch would fail rather quickly, such that you couldn't get the car into reverse, if memory serves.)

Most people have experiences with cars that make them hate certain auto makers.

Oh sure, most every car has problems (some more than others). But, it's about how the company treats you when it happens, and whether they are fair or not. Dodge certainly wasn't (see above). Now I own a VW TDI, and so far, VW isn't doing all that much better (though it looks like there is hope... but also lots of lying, finger pointing, and HUGE delay).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.