Final Cut Express 4 released!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Grimace, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

2. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Final Cut Express 4 released.

Apple released today Final Cut Express 4

see Apple Website

3. PharmD macrumors 6502

But they raised the EDU price. $179. Apple is really hosing the students now.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

5. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

From Apple Quick News:

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

No more Soundtrack? :(

Also EDU is now $179 :(

Guess I'll just be getting the $199 one so in the future I can upgrade for $99.

blah. I wish you could upgrade EDU versions.

7. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

That's awesome! With this price tag, everyone with a serious interest in video making should be able to afford this first step into the world of pro editing software, certainly a terrific investment for anyone who wants to be able to master Final Cut Pro in the future.

- Martin

8. RickT67 macrumors member

Geesh! 12 days ago, I splurge for the iMac, iTV, airport extreme, new printer, applecare, .mac acct, AND FCE 3.5 at full retail of $299.... And I've had to return my iMac due to the gradient issue (on my 2nd iMac now...it's sweet).

My point is, I paid $300 for the software, and now I have to pay another $99 to get the up to date version for a total cost of $400? And I haven't even had a chance to use it due to the iMAc exchange....

Any chance that I could return it? Get FCE4 and $100 iRebate? :rolleyes:

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I think Apple has a 14 day return policy if it's not opened.

But also consider this: FCE4 doesn't include Soundtrack or the Apple Loops for Soundtrack, so if you want those you might want to keep FCE 3.5.

10. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

I could be wrong, but I think Final Cut Express was an exception in that you can upgrade EDU versions. The product number for 3.5 was the same for academic and retail, whereas Logic Express had different numbers. Also, when I bought my copy, there wasn't a "you can't upgrade this" sticker like there were on Logic Express and Final Cut Studio. Looks like they rectified this with the current version, though, as they have different numbers.

All in all, with only a few new features and the lack of Soundtrack, I won't be upgrading as I only have DV footage.

11. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple Releases Final Cut Express 4

[​IMG]

Apple has released Final Cut Express 4 today. Apple describes the new version as a "significant upgrade" to the previous versoin of Final Cut Express.
    Apple also cut the price on Final Cut Express to $199 from $299. The new features are detailed at Apple's site.

Article Link

12. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Did I miss a comparison page between the new FCX and regular FC?

I looked but did not see one..

13. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

UK page still not updated, showing FCE 3.5.

My guess is the UK price will end up being £149. Not bad I guess.

14. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

Sweet Spot

This looks to fit in nicely between an iMovie and an FCP.
    Perfect for my above entry-level but certainly below pro movie making self.
    And at $200... amazing how affordable such powerful tools are for the average Joe/Jane.

15. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Man. I have FCE 3.5 sitting in a box that I haven't even opened or installed yet (was waiting on my new intel Mac purchase).

Now, if I upgrade from 3.5 to 4, will I still have Soundtrack (are they separate apps)?

16. thingamajigidid macrumors member

you know the printer comes with a rebate..
    and i hope you got the .mac for 69.99, thats the price when you buy a computer.

anyone know why they push the .mac on you no matter what you tell them.?

i don't see why you can't return it.. seeing that you have had some issues... but you better come into the store pretending to be all mad... they will take care of you..

as far as the upgrade.. what's the difference between buying tiger 10 days before the release of leopard... they were entitled to get an upgrade for 10 dollars for shipping.. why isn't this software upgradeable for the same price?

17. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

18. iMouseHD macrumors regular

On Lack of Soundtrack in 4

From some apple sales material:

"What happened to Soundtrack?
    • Soundtrack is no longer offered. Instead of using Soundtrack, customers can use the
    multitrack mixing, soft normalization, and gain controls built into Final Cut Express 4.
    • Recommend customers use GarageBand (in iLife ’08) to produce loop-based soundtracks,
    while also offering greater music production capabilities. GarageBand offers more features
    than Soundtrack. Soundtrack Pro is included with Final Cut Studio."

19. tennismanclay macrumors regular

tennismanclay

This is great news for me, im asking for FCE for Christmas and a $100 lower price plus more features might be all i need to do some persuading:rolleyes:

-Clay

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Because they get rated on what percentage of Macs they sell bundled with a .mac account. There's some target % they're supposed to meet to get a good review.

21. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I've been waiting for this for months (well, since I got my iMac). Can't afford it because I owe my Mum £200 from CS3, but I still want it. Lol.

I would say somewhere between £129 and £149.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Nope, use iDVD.

These comments put together make Apple's new goal clear:
    iLife is to Final Cut Express
    as
    Final Cut Studio is to Final Cut Pro

I have to say, it makes sense. Any "suite" applications they'd make to go with FCE would only compete with iLife. Could there even BE a difference between iDVD and a hypothetical "DVD Studio Express?" I doubt it. It looks like they felt that Soundtrack and Garage Band were getting too close as well.

23. thevofl macrumors regular

Edu Pricing

I posted this on another thread:

They slashed prices on FCE by 33% for non-educators, but increased it by 20% for education buyers.

Are they trying to turn away education buyers?

What I find interesting is that with my education discounts, FCE costs $179.00 and Adobe Production Premium costs $314.00. What is included in the $135.00 difference? Full Premiere, Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects, Soundbooth, Encore, Flash, etc. This is a completely no brainer.

$314.00 is at collegesoftware.org

24. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

What I really want to know is does this new version allow you to gradually increase the speed the video is going at, like in FCP.

25. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

What I really want to know is why front page says there are zero comments when I see 24 here?