Final Cut Express HD Released As A Universal Binary

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple released Final Cut Express HD 3.5 this morning as a Universal Binary, making the program join with Final Cut Pro as running native on Intel processors. The new software is available as either a $299 standalone product, or a $99 upgrade.
Capture and edit DV or HDV video, add dynamic titles and graphics using LiveType 2, then score your movie using Soundtrack 1.5. New features include full keyframe control over effects and motion parameters, dynamic real-time effects, and new versions of LiveType and Soundtrack. Upgrade requires a previous version of Final Cut Express (version 1, 2, or 3) for installation

MacRumorsReader

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2006
Eidorian said:
So if the video requirements are still just Quartz Extreme will it run on the GMA950 powered Macs?
I have always referred to FCE as Final Cut for Everyone else.

So, I'm a-thinking this will work on all the intel macs.

lekun

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
Gma 950?

From Apples Final Cut Express Tech Specs:

System Requirements
  • An AGP or PCI Express graphics card compatible with Quartz Extreme
Does this mean it won't run on a Mac Mini or MacBook?

(oh Lollypop beat me too it)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
lekun said:
From Apples Final Cut Express Tech Specs:

System Requirements
An AGP or PCI Express graphics card compatible with Quartz Extreme

Does this mean it won't run on a Mac Mini or MacBook?
Well if it'll run on a Radeon 7500 and a GeForce 2 then I expect the GMA 950 to be able to run it. I just can't confirm it 100%. :rolleyes:

Viewtiful Rich

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2005
I've been seriously thinking about picking FCE this weekend, but was kind of worried about a new version coming relatively soon.... this would seem to put that out of the question, would many agree?

iOggy

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2006
What is the biggest differences between Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro? I understand that FCP is aimed more towards pro users, but what cant fce do that fcp can to differiate them from each other. Thanks.

stoid

macrumors 601
Viewtiful Rich said:
I've been seriously thinking about picking FCE this weekend, but was kind of worried about a new version coming relatively soon.... this would seem to put that out of the question, would many agree?
Well, I don't think that there will be a new version until FCP 6 comes out since FCE 3.5 is based on the FCP 5 architechture.

The question I have is if the Soundtrack and LiveType that come with FCE HD are the full versions or if they also have features disabled, or not included.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
Viewtiful Rich said:
They probably wont update it until FCS is updated, which will probably be sometime in the first half of next year, so go for it.

stoid said:
Well, I don't think that there will be a new version until FCP 6 comes out since FCE 3.5 is based on the FCP 5 architechture.

The question I have is if the Soundtrack and LiveType that come with FCE HD are the full versions or if they also have features disabled, or not included.
Soundtrack is not Soundtrack Pro (which I assume you knew), so they probably haven't crippled anything in it. I assume it's just the old soundtrack with minor updates made. Livetype is probably the same version which is shipping with FCS, since it is not that heavy duty of an app. Here's to Apple releasing Motion Express and Compressor with the next version of FCE. I think Apple should scrap Livetype and just have Motion & a Motion Express. They could build Livetype into Motion pretty easily.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I didn't even realize FC Express came with those bundled additional apps. Soundtrack is a huge value right there! (And all those loops work in GarageBand too.)

All I own is the pre-Pro Soundtrack, and it's still nice.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Eidorian said:
So if the video requirements are still just Quartz Extreme will it run on the GMA950 powered Macs?
GMA950 supports Quartz Extreme and CoreImage, so it should work fine.

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
Awesome!

I just purchased a MacBook and have FCE 2.0.3, so if I can upgrade for $99, not a bad deal to get it Intel native. Woo-hoo! Just about everything I use now is Intel native, except for Word, Entourage, PowerPoint, and the newly released Elements 4.0. Microsoft isn't just behind the times with their OS, but apparently with everything. :eek:

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Timing Is Perfect For MacBook & Final Cut Express Marriage

I just wrote a post yesterday telling someone who asked that FCE was NOT Universal and here we get it the next day. Way to go Apple. I am sure it will ALL work great on a MacBook too. :p Fantastic news. $99 upgrade is really fair.

red_wedge

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2003
Lapland, Finland
Multimedia said:
I just wrote a post yesterday telling someone who asked that FCE was NOT Universal and here we get it the next day. Way to go Apple. I am sure it will ALL work great on a MacBook too. :p Fantastic news. $99 upgrade is really fair.
Funny you would say that 99 is fair - wasn't the upgrade for FCPro only 50? Seems a bit unfair to me...

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
iOggy said:
What is the biggest differences between Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro? I understand that FCP is aimed more towards pro users, but what cant fce do that fcp can to differiate them from each other. Thanks.
One of the biggest differences is that it only supports DV and HDV video IE none of the high end professional video types. So no biggie. :)

red_wedge said:
Funny you would say that 99 is fair - wasn't the upgrade for FCPro only 50? Seems a bit unfair to me...
No that was only for the crossgrade to Universal from Final Cut Studio. Upgrades from Final Cut Pro 4/4.5 and components of Studio are $99. This is a NEW VERSION 3.5 of FCE HD - not only Universal crossgrade but an UPGRADE TOO from ANY Version 1, 2, or 3 of Final Cut Express which makes it an amazing deal. :)

"Final Cut Express HD 3.5, LiveType 2, and Soundtrack 1.5 run natively on both PowerPC-based and Intel-based Macintosh computers, and you can take advantage of the extraordinary performance offered by the latter to put your video editing into high gear."

Here is the new Final Cut Express HD Page At Apple.

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
yoak said:
Is it at the same price-point as before in the US?
Yes, this is simply the new version of FCE which also happens to be universal.

Two thinks have kept me from buying an Intel Mac: FCP and Photoshop. Now I only have one reason to wait. When Adobe come out with a universal PS then it's time. Maybe be then Apple wil havethe Intel Power Macs shipping?