Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
sw1tcher said:
would it be reasonable to assume that Apple will also release new iBooks to take advantage of the new OS features such as core image? And what of the mac mini?

When Apple released Panther, they also updated the iBook line from the G3 to G4 line that we currently see. Also, and I know this as a fact that the iBook G4 was the first Mac to ship with Panther pre-installed since that's why I purchased the iBook G4 over the 12in. PowerBook(at the time there was little difference between the 14in. iBook G4 and the 12in. PowerBook G4) It took about a week for them to get all the other Mac's shipping to have Panther pre-installed.

If Apple stays to this model then the new iBooks should also see the release of Mac OS 10.4, although I don't know what the first Mac model was that shipped with Mac OS 10.2

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
All I am hoping for in FCP5 is native editing support of HDV, so no longer having to transcode to Apple Intermediate Codec. It would also be fantastic just to see how much of a speed up for some common filters such as 3-way CC. I am really hoping for real-time compositing modes, since this was the biggest gap when it came to multilayering of images.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
no Panasonic 24p Support

How exactly is there no panasonic 24p support... don't you just import as normal 30fps NTSC, and the codec makes it *look* like 24p? I just got a DVX100a and am still trying to figure out how it works with FCP.

h'biki

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Pismo said:
If FCP 5 is coming out soon, I'm sure Motion 2 and DVD Studio Pro 4 will soon follow to take advantage of the new Tiger features. I'm sure Shake will have a huge upgrade too.

Shake *needs* a huge upgrade to compete with the open source compositors (Edo) as well as its direct competitors (Nuke, Fusion, etc). Its barely been touched by Apple since they purchased Nothing Real.

That said, rumours are Shake 4 will leverage CI to provide real-time previews of large frames like Final Touch HD (that's final TOUCH) does but then actual renders using the CPU. Seems as CI supports full 32bit images which would lend credence to that idea, cause getting 32bit on GPUs (8 bit) is a hassle unless you *need* that bit depth.

Motion needs a faster interface imnsho, and it needs to take a *good* look at the workflow features of AE. It may end up supporting Z-Space and integrate with Shake (once it gets Z-space) which would be... interesting. Do rough composites in Motion, then tidy em up properly in Shake.

Gregory

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2001
Detroit, MI
pdpfilms said:
How exactly is there no panasonic 24p support... don't you just import as normal 30fps NTSC, and the codec makes it *look* like 24p? I just got a DVX100a and am still trying to figure out how it works with FCP.

There is a 2:3:3:2 pulldown capture setting in FCP just for the DVX100. It flags the frames it doesn't need and plays back at 24p. Even the timeline is set to a 24p timeline.

Gregory

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2001
Detroit, MI
h'biki said:
Shake *needs* a huge upgrade to compete with the open source compositors (Edo) as well as its direct competitors (Nuke, Fusion, etc). Its barely been touched by Apple since they purchased Nothing Real.

That said, rumours are Shake 4 will leverage CI to provide real-time previews of large frames like Final Touch HD (that's final TOUCH) does but then actual renders using the CPU. Seems as CI supports full 32bit images which would lend credence to that idea, cause getting 32bit on GPUs (8 bit) is a hassle unless you *need* that bit depth.

Motion needs a faster interface imnsho, and it needs to take a *good* look at the workflow features of AE. It may end up supporting Z-Space and integrate with Shake (once it gets Z-space) which would be... interesting. Do rough composites in Motion, then tidy em up properly in Shake.

Do you use Shake at all , I use and own Shake and I disagree with some of your statement, maybe you should get the facts straight. Final Touch is a Color Grading System and it does that very well. Shake is a Comp. App. so we are talking about two different apps. all together.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
There is a 3:2:2:3 pulldown capture setting in FCP just for the DVX100. It flags the frames it doesn't need and plays back at 24p. Even the timeline is set to a 24p timeline.

In order to capture in this mode, do you need to record in 24p advanced, or will it function the same for regular 24p?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
There is a 3:2:2:3 pulldown capture setting in FCP just for the DVX100. It flags the frames it doesn't need and plays back at 24p. Even the timeline is set to a 24p timeline.

In order to capture in this mode, do you need to record in 24p advanced, or will it function the same for regular 24p? Also, has either Panasonic or Final Cut released any documents regarding using the products together?

Gregory

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2001
Detroit, MI
pdpfilms said:
In order to capture in this mode, do you need to record in 24p advanced, or will it function the same for regular 24p? Also, has either Panasonic or Final Cut released any documents regarding using the products together?

I'm not sure on that one, when I used the DVX100 I shot in 24p Adv. Mode, I didn't know that it has two 24p modes. Explain for me. . .

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
You capture 24P or 24Pa footage in FCP like ol' regular 60i footage, which it basically is anyway. Then once the footage is captured, you can ask FCP to process the footage to pull out 24 frames from your 24Pa footage. This either can happen during capture or post. Anway, FCP does support 24Pa and this is what you should be shooting on the DVX if you plan to edit native 24P.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Private Public said:
It's my understanding that compressor does this but I think only for mpeg codecs.

Actually, Compressor will output to any QuickTime codec including DV, Apple Pixlet, MPEG4, MPEG1, H.263, etc. Thus you can start with one source video and batch output to multiple copies at just about any format/size. Just click, click, click, and done (batch jobs finish in background).

mateft

macrumors member
May 22, 2003
golfstud said:
FCP 5 will rock. But Quicktime 7 is the engine that runs it all! The new CODEC is going to just be a KILLER. Look for FCP and AUTOMATOR in TIGER to work together to increase workflow. Imagine setting up an AUTOMATOR task to export your sequence to three, five, seven different sizes and if needed CODECS...you come back and you have all the versions of your masterpiece ready to go to broadcast, web, cd, etc. TIME to PONY up for a new G5 DUALIE 3.0!

Its called compressor. and i just used it today to compile several videos on a DVD.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I'm not sure on that one, when I used the DVX100 I shot in 24p Adv. Mode, I didn't know that it has two 24p modes. Explain for me. . .

In the menu, you can select to record in either 24p or 24p Adv. The manual says this:
-24p: Shooting is performed in the 24p mode (24 frames/sec.). Images are recorded on the tape using the [2:3] conversion system.
-24p(ADV): Shooting is performed in the 24p advanced mode (24 frames/sec.). Images are recorded on the tape using the advanced conversion system.

Is the advanced conversion system the 2:3:3:2 pulldown? And if so, what is the difference between footage captured in normal 30fps DV NTSC versus 24p NTSC with 2:3:3:2 pulldown removal?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Anyone else?? this is just confusing me....
So i should shoot in 24p advanced, capture in what and then edit in what kind of sequence? Then, when I'm done can I put that straight to tape, or do i need to do another conversion? Can someone give a step-by-step starting with shooting 24 frames/sec and eding in putting to MiniDV or DVD?
I realize this is getting repititive...i'm just sorta lost...

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
pdpfilms said:
So i should shoot in 24p advanced, capture in what and then edit in what kind of sequence? Then, when I'm done can I put that straight to tape, or do i need to do another conversion? Can someone give a step-by-step starting with shooting 24 frames/sec and eding in putting to MiniDV or DVD?

There are links here as well that goes in depth on how to work with 24Pa footage in FCP.

Gregory

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2001
Detroit, MI
pdpfilms said:
In the menu, you can select to record in either 24p or 24p Adv. The manual says this:
-24p: Shooting is performed in the 24p mode (24 frames/sec.). Images are recorded on the tape using the [2:3] conversion system.
-24p(ADV): Shooting is performed in the 24p advanced mode (24 frames/sec.). Images are recorded on the tape using the advanced conversion system.

Is the advanced conversion system the 2:3:3:2 pulldown? And if so, what is the difference between footage captured in normal 30fps DV NTSC versus 24p NTSC with 2:3:3:2 pulldown removal?

Ok what I did was, Shot in 24p Adv. mode, then captured the footage in FCP using the 2:3:3:2 Pulldown DV Capture Setting. They open a 24 frame Timeline to edit the footage. The 2:3:3:2 pulldown flags the frames that are not needed on the recorded DV tape. The Camera always records at 60i anyway, but with the 2:3:3:2 Pulldown setting, when FCP captures, it captures just the 24 frames it needs for 24p frame rate.

Gregory

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2001
Detroit, MI
pdpfilms said:

Shoot 24p Advanced for:

* Post-production using tools that understand Advanced pulldown. 24p Advanced footage can be turned into pure 24p footage more cleanly than 24p standard footage, because every frame in the pure 24p timeline is pulled from a whole frame in the 24p Advanced footage, whereas the C frame in 24p Standard footage is split across two different source frames as discussed above.

Shoot 24p Standard for:

* Getting the “film look” on video when you're staying on video and editing at 29.97.
* Intercutting with film transfers also using 3:2 pulldown, and staying on video at 29.97.
* Working with traditional film-on-tape tools that understand 3:2 pulldown, but not 2:3:3:2 advanced pulldown, when you need to extract the 24p footage for true 24p processing.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
PERFECT! One can always, ALWAYS count on macrumors guys to answer questions. Now back to the real topic of this post..... YAY FCP 5!!!

Gregory

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2001
Detroit, MI
So you would shot 24p Standard if you plan to edit the footage in a 29.97 timeline and Shot 24p Adv. if you need a true 24p Timeline. It depends if you are going to process on film or go back to tape for the final product. DVD's will do both 24p and 60i playback. Most DVD Movies are 24p anyway.

Gregory

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2001
Detroit, MI
FCP 5 or FCP HD 2 whatever apple is going to call it, should be very nice with the core image engine bulit right in, just think about all those effects in Motion that would now be available native in FCP... How sweet it is. . . :D

timster

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2002
mklos said:
Well if you read the article it said that it requires OS X.4 (Tiger) because its all based around Core Video, and QuickTime 7, all which are going to be introduced with OS X.4 (Tiger), and isn't avaliable on OS X.3 (Panther)

No disagreement about CoreVideo (and frankly I just can't understand people who claim that cutting edge software shouldn't require the latest OS, they clearly have no idea about development requirements), but QuickTime 7 will be available for other OSes, and probably at similar times.

Don't quote me, but I think QuickTime 7 will be available for Windows XP, 2000, Me, and 98, and Mac OS X 10.2-10.3, and probably Mac OS 9 too.

Apple's keen to push forward with its 250+ million QuickTime users, and there ain't that many people using Macs, folks!

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Introducing FCP HD 5.0 well ahead of shipping is nothing new to Apple. Remember Motion 1.0, this makes me believe Motion is also going to be upgraded along with the other PRO apps for Tiger optimization.

The hardware should follow along as well. Though I am not surprised at this show before shipping a product, heck Apple does it for hardware why not software now. This is becoming a bad trend with Apple. :p ;) :)

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
I think the really amazing thing here is the core of all of this which is Quicktime 7. I am excited to see what it does with H.264. I'm also curious about the core graphics although it probably means that I will need to upgrade my ATI 9600. I'll definately be purchasing FCP 5 and will be buying a new PowerMac as soon as it supports some sort of blue laser burner.

zanuzan

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2002
Shake is dog slow on a Mac and is in dire need of an speed boost. After having used Nuke for a year, using Shake is like being handcuffed. It crawls. After Effects is even faster with better caching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.