Final 'Get a Mac' Spot to Kick Off WWDC?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

9 to 5 Mac reports that has received information that Apple last week filmed one final "Get a Mac" spot featuring John Hodgman as his usual "PC" character but without Justin Long's "Mac" character. According to sources, the spot pokes fun at the situation involving the iPhone prototype that made its way to Gizmodo earlier this year.
The commercial was filmed at a bar in Greenpoint, Brooklyn last week and get this: PC pretends to be a bartender and gets a guy drunk in order to get his hands on his new Apple prototype!!

Unfortunately, Justin Long isn't the guy he's getting drunk, he's not in this one.
The report suggests that the spot may be used to open Steve Jobs' keynote address later today, pointing to a similar theme used to open WWDC 2007 with "PC" attempting to pass himself off as Jobs.

Rumors of the demise of Apple's long-running "Get a Mac" campaign surfaced in early April in an interview with Justin Long, and were confirmed late last month when the company removed the videos and all other mention of the campaign from its site.

Article Link: Final 'Get a Mac' Spot to Kick Off WWDC?

Marty Macfly

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Wait, could this be the "50's diner" commercial? When was the iPhone lost, a few months ago? Could Apple have planned this commercial before that?

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
9 to 5 Mac reports that has received information that Apple last week filmed one final "Get a Mac" spot featuring John Hodgman as his usual "PC" character but without Justin Long's "Mac" character.
One final "Get a Mac" spot that has nothing to do with getting a Mac?

ukmacpro

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2008
London
What an excellent way to start, in my opinion anyway... It's a shame Justin Long won't be involved to say farewell to the "get a mac" campaign...

I guess it's the typical Apple way of glossing over these sorts of things... Get it out the way at the start, make a joke out of it, and never mention it again...

I really hope this Keynote is going to be the best for a while, there's the potential for so many announcements... but I have a hunch it will be like the last few, disappointing, keynotes. iPhone-centric and the usual parade of developers getting up to show off their apps... Please prove me wrong Apple, you could put on a much better show that that and blow everyone out of the water...

We haven't had "one more thing" for a while have we? or is that just my memory?

lucky967

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2010
Super secret commercial filmed in Greenpoint.

I work at a studio in Greenpoint, and last week they were filming a very hush hush closed set commercial. More security than the Lady Gaga video that was filmed here a couple months ago. might have been the commercial.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Bad form Apple ... you make a joke about the situation all while persecuting everyone involved with the situation. That is just very bad form IMO.

RakeAtTheGates

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2010
$10 says...

...Gray Powell makes an appearance during the keynote. If he doesn't, Steve Jobs has absolutely no sense of humor.

Even better would be Jobs wearing Steve Wozniak's "I got drunk with Gray Powell" t-shirt instead of his turtleneck.

kyleh613

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Bad form Apple ... you make a joke about the situation all while persecuting everyone involved with the situation. That is just very bad form IMO.
Go away nay sayer. Any ads with John Hodgman in them, regardless of content is fine by me.

Marty Macfly

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Gray's accident was just so, an accident.

Gizmodo's subsequent theft was also just so, theft of intellectual property.

Apple is making light of the scenario, not the outcome.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Where has Apple or Steve jobs personally named or persecuted anybody related to this? At most they have named Gigmodo as a purchaser of possible stolen goods. The police have done everything else.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
They could have done something live, Saturday Night Live style, that would be even funnier.

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
I love the PC guy in those "get a mac" commercials. He is so awesome and funny.
If you really like John Hodgman's sense of humor, he has two very funny books out. I couldn't stop laughing when I read them.

My wife, didn't find them as funny, though so you've got to appreciate his sense of humor. I recommend going to your local bookstore ( physical or virtual ) and reading a few pages. It's worth it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.