Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Final MWSF Tidbits: Things, Ampli-Phone, Music Skins, Psyclops

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

We're wrapping up our coverage from Macworld, and here is a diverse collection of items that may be of interest.

Cultured Code released the 1.0 version of Things alongside a version update to their iPhone app [App Store]. The Mac application won Best of Show and offers an "elegant and intuitive" task manager for organizing to-dos, notes, due dates, and projects. Things 1.0 for Mac is $49.95 and the iPhone companion application is $9.99.

Gryphon Corporation was showing off Ampli Phone, a passive amplifier for the iPhone. The scientifically designed horn amplifies the sound coming out of your iPhone without the need for any additional power source. The cradle for the iPhone allows room for cables to keep it powered and the entire unit can be turned on its side for watching video. Comes in black or white and is available for $29.95.

Music Skins provides officially licensed band decals that can be applied to your iPhone or iPod. Made from 3M vinyl and adhesive technology, they can be applied and removed without leaving a residue. Prices per skin is $15.00 and they are available for all iPod and iPhone models.

Psyclops introduced a new set of iPod nano silicon sleeves aimed at the 8-14 year old market. The company also offers an interactive online dance/music community in which kids can assemble their own dance videos by mixing available audio and video clips. These videos can be shared and downloaded to their iPods. Each case (photo) comes with a unique code to unlock special dance moves. The company will also releasing an iPhone App that allows kids to create and share their videos on their iPhone or iPod touch.

Article Link: Final MWSF Tidbits: Things, Ampli-Phone, Music Skins, Psyclops

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
That amp seems cool, but I don't think I would ever buy one.

Comment

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
Things is expensive but definitely the worth the $! It's an awesome GTD application. Anyone who needs task management should use it.

Comment

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
I love "Things". It´s just the right balance between complex and effective To-Do-Software. I was trying OmniFocus, but it was more expensive and I realized I would spend more time organizing my things rather than getting them done.
Also, they offer a 20% discount for early adopters until the 15th, if I am not mistaken :)

Comment

Srai-W

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Singapore
I don't really get the skins. You pay to put them on, but then after some time I am sure you will get bored and want another one... So then you take the old one off and buy a new one. Oh! I know... so you pay more $$$ :D

As for the amp it looks cool and I guess it is saving electricity, but what about the sound though? :rolleyes:

Comment

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
sorry, but as much as I love things, it has a learning curve. Therefore, it fails miserably as casual 'GTD' software. Don't hype it up, since it doesn't do what it says (i.e: you have to read the tutorial/spend 30 minutes figuring out how it works before it does...miserable, lazy and over-hyped attempt)...and yes, I've used the new version and iPhone version.

Comment

Nilonym

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2007
Seattle, WA
sorry, but as much as I love things, it has a learning curve. Therefore, it fails miserably as casual 'GTD' software. Don't hype it up, since it doesn't do what it says (i.e: you have to read the tutorial/spend 30 minutes figuring out how it works before it does...miserable, lazy and over-hyped attempt)...and yes, I've used the new version and iPhone version.

@179202: I couldn't disagree more strongly with you. I find it to be intuitive, elegant, and indispensable. I highly encourage anyone looking for a great GTD app to give it a test drive.

Comment

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Things: not intuitive and fairly useless

best of one of the worst macworlds ever.
bad interface.
cumbersome.
simple apple Mail app's To Do function more integrated, more intuitive, and simpler.
Things call itself a Task Management app. utterly ridiculous.
Things should be free of charge, made into a widget, and get people to know the maker of the app better and then charge for the 2nd or 3rd (hopefully) much more useful app they write.

Comment

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
@179202: I couldn't disagree more strongly with you. I find it to be intuitive, elegant, and indispensable. I highly encourage anyone looking for a great GTD app to give it a test drive.

And i couldn't disagree with you more strongly, but each to his own. I was looking for a simple and intuitive GTD app. The fact we're even having this discussion proves it failed. Sorry.

Each to his own though - enjoy if you like it!

Comment

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
the iPhone sound amplifier looks pretty amazing... well I hope on the next generation of iPhones, there will be no need for anything like this. I have heard that the new Unibodys have a lot louder speakers. Maybe the iPhone can become like that.

Comment

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
best of one of the worst macworlds ever.
bad interface.
cumbersome.
simple apple Mail app's To Do function more integrated, more intuitive, and simpler.
Things call itself a Task Management app. utterly ridiculous.
Things should be free of charge, made into a widget, and get people to know the maker of the app better and then charge for the 2nd or 3rd (hopefully) much more useful app they write.

I disagree. Sure, I don't feel it's worth the fifty dollars (although I will be buying it) but it's up to the Developer to decide how much to charge for the app. Not some random poster on MacRumors who can barely form a sentence.

Comment

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London
I love "Things". It´s just the right balance between complex and effective To-Do-Software. I was trying OmniFocus, but it was more expensive and I realized I would spend more time organizing my things rather than getting them done.
Also, they offer a 20% discount for early adopters until the 15th, if I am not mistaken :)

I started with OmniFocus then switched to Bento because it's easier and faster to create the layout and fields I want. Bento is full of unecessary eye candy though and it's not even pretty. Things looks a bit like Bento having watched the video. File Maker looks ugly too. It's project management I'm interested in to escape the windows carp at work.

Comment

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford
Honestly, I'm tired of the iPhone/touch apps. I stopped at 4 apps on my iTouch. Guess I don't need all that stuff on the go. I'm sure alot of people find all these apps (farting one etc) helpful. I'm just tired of iPhone this and Apps that.

Lets get back to the PC, stop working on products that have small screens that will eventually make u go blind lol.

Comment

macomposer

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2002
I like Things... somewhat. Got a 0.8 or whatever version during one of the MacUpdate thingamerooos. Updated to the 1.0, saw little advantage, and that it would croak in 15 days unless I paid $50. So I downgraded to 0.8 or whatever and it still does what I want it to do... for now.

It's not the greatest solution, but it is OK. We all have different workflows. I only use Things for long-term organization, not daily management. iCal handles daily stuff just fine. I don't like iCal to view the horizon.

Comment

bête noire

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2004
Not much "Mac" about the four best of Macworld is there?

Mac/iPhone
iPhone
iPhone/iPod
iPod

I am so tired of hearing about the @#$% iPhone. :mad:

Comment

Srai-W

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Singapore
Not much "Mac" about the four best of Macworld is there?

Mac/iPhone
iPhone
iPhone/iPod
iPod

I am so tired of hearing about the @#$% iPhone. :mad:

I, and I'm sure a lot of others, couldn't agree more. I just want them to update the Mini. Is it that difficult? Keep the outside the same and put something a little more up to date inside. Keep waiting. Almost makes me miss the days before the ipod came out. At least then it was only for the computers Of course times move on, but I don't know - why not split and have two companies - one ipod/iphone, the other for the computers? Ok, rant over now. Still don't get those skins... :cool:

Comment

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Things - Promising ... but not yet ready.

Things is looking good but simply is not ready yet and, at this stage, no-one should seriously consider using it as the basis for their attempts at GTD.

One of the core tenants of GTD, would of the supports without which your whole system will crash, is that you've got to be able to let go and TRUST your system. Cultured Code, who are essentially just a couple of guys in Germany, have not yet implemented automatic syncing ala iCal, Address Book, Omnifocus etc on MobileMe or any WebDav server.

So, you have to remember to open up Things on your iPhone while you're at home and MANUALLY sync with your Wi-Fi network, otherwise you'll spend the day walking around with an out-of-date ToDo list. That simply isn't feasible and, no matter how pretty Things looks, you would have to be insane to build your GTD system on so flimsy a foundation.

They are working on it and have suggested this vital feature will appear sometime this quarter BUT it's worth noting that users have been clamouring for this feature since last summer; it is, by an order of magnitude, the most requested feature, but Cultured Code work slowly, very slowly, and often give the appearance of ignoring their users.

I do sympathize - they must have booked their stall at Macworld six months ago and were then hand-cuffed to a schedule that forced them to release this unfinished product too early. It's a pity because there will be a backlash once customers realize they've been steam-rolled by the $10 discount, that expires on the 15th, into paying cash for something that makes their life more, not less, complicated.

Cultured Code should be honest about miscalculating that they would actually have all the most important features in place before the grand release at Macworld and extend the $10 discount until 15 days after proper syncing has been implemented, giving users a fair chance to assess the product and giving reviewers a reason not to rip their Cultured Code's reputation to shreds.

Comment

rhyx

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
I just wish they could add Tasks syncing with Exchange. Calendar, Contacts and Email works fine.

Comment

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado

I hope you take a look at Pocket Informant then. We've were showing off our software catty-corner to Things at MacWorld and we got such a tremendous response I wish we had final software to release, not beta in-development stuff.

Our philosophy is that it has to be dead simply and we've been doing mobile software for over 8 years now, so we know what the issues are with mobile interfaces - especially mobile interfaces designed by desktop developers.

We design our software focused on the platform we use - BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, iPhone - and I think it showed to most people. A lot of people came by and looked at our software and how it integrates the calendar and tasks with a GTD concept (or Franklin Covey if you prefer) and told us that they were looking forward to it because we really focused on that ease of use factor compared to other GTD apps. $12.95 is what we're going for with a free Lite version when we ship at the end of the month. http://www.PocketInformant.com/

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.