Final Proof that ipod 4 screen is worse than iphone 4 screen (PICS)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kingofkings8183, Sep 6, 2010.

1. kingofkings8183 macrumors member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

anyone who still thinks otherwise is delusional.what scares me is that in the first pic the angle is fairly straight yet the ipod screen looks like garbage compared to the iphone's.

2. pcuser94 macrumors member

backlight on the ipod touch is turned up higher

3. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

^Ya, apart from the off-angle (which I really couldn't care less about) the only difference seems to be the backlight.

4. ultio macrumors newbie

ultio

I'm not going to judge a screen's quality by a photo. Cameras usually pick up screens way to bright, even DSLRs... And yeah, it's a TN panel, of course it's gonna be screwed up from a weird angle.

5. ademuth93 macrumors regular

Minnesota: Land of the Lakes? You betcha!
    Agreed about the backlight.

Also, who cares about extreme angle viewing? If you're looking at it, you should probably just look at it like a normal person–*straight on.

6. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Look at the camera icon, the iPod touch has a fake blue tint to it, where as the iPhone 4 has a neutral tone. :( :mad:

7. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Yeah that's something we won't know until we receive it. If you remember, some older iPhones were notorious for having a screen that's too yellow and I personally had two 2nd iPod Touches that were manufactured only a few weeks apart and yet had very different color temperatures. It's something Apple always seems to go back and forth on.

8. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

I was hoping for the same display quality as the iPhone, but looks like we are not getting it!! At least not this year! :(

9. joe1946 macrumors regular

OMG, what a bunch of clueless airheads. When held at the normal viewing angle both Retina displays will look the same.

iPod Touch 4g with 24bit Retina Display with 800-1 contrast ratio:

[​IMG]

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

Bad pics - indeed the poster above me is right.

11. Panther71 macrumors regular

I don't want to get in a name calling contest but, anyone who thinks the Touch is going to be exactly like the iPhone is delusional. They are never going to be identical.

12. ryan102 macrumors regular

It's not an iPhone4, you don't have to hold it wrong to make it work :p

13. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

Thanks for the pics! Sadly iPod's screen looks milky, got a blue tint and it has lower contrast. Also colors look dull and desaturated compared to iPhone's screen. Too bad :(

14. buckawheat macrumors member

Why is this so important for some people to try to identify issues with the iPod touch in comparison to the iPhone?

1. They bought an iPhone 4 and need to have a feeling that it is vastly better because they have it on contract for 2 - 3 years.
    2. They have an iPod Touch 2g/3g and are sad that a new, better version is coming out that they can't afford to upgrade to.
    3. Haters?

This is a serious upgrade over the previous touch hands down. Faster processor, more ram, cameras, screen resolution, etc, etc, etc. I just don't see why people have to bash a product they haven't had their hands on. In future, if you could just identify yourself as a #1, 2 or 3 from the list above on your posts, it would help the rest of us (the majority) who are just looking forward to our vastly improved touches to arrive.

15. jwhite878 macrumors regular

I agree. It looks like the only difference is brightness.

16. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Where are you getting the contrast ratio information from? If it's a TN panel like the viewing angle suggests, both the contrast ratio and the color accuracy will be inferior compared to the iPhone 4.

17. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Okay, the reason the iPod Touch 4's display looks milky or white is because it uses the TN panel technology, while the iPhone 4 uses IPS tech. The iPad, iMac, and Cinema displays also use IPS. Advantage of IPS: Colors stay true at 95% of viewing angles, but TN panel looks true only from the front. The tradeoff is that IPS displays use much more power than the TN panel, therefore they are not used in the new Touch (battery capacity is lowered due to thickness) or the MacBooks (battery life).

18. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

The backlight is turned up too high on the touch. This, unsurprisingly, is washing colors out.

Here's another off-axis shot at the first hands on and the colors look great:

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/09/01/new-ipod-touch-hands-on-photos-yes-its-that-thin/dsc_0626-copy/

19. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Doesn't matter. You can put an iPhone at max brightness, and it still won't distort significantly off-axis.

I agree that shot looks different. Perhaps apple is using multiple manufacturers for the ipt4g screen? Or maybe they changed their mind about suppliers during development

20. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Maybe the Touch screen actually has a brighter backlight than the iPhone 4 shipped with. Hard to say at this point. The fact remains that at some backlight level (see photo I posted) it looks identical to the iPhone 4 retina display to me at an even more off-axis position than the photo posted above.

[​IMG]

21. MaCamZa macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

Im curious... I've never owned an iPod Touch or iPhone, and im planning to buy the iPod Touch 4... but can you change the (backlit?) brightness of the display?

22. 184550 Guest

Yes.

23. joe1946 macrumors regular

If you want to pay AT&T a monthly fee and don't want more than 32GB then get the fat iPhone 4. Go to the Apple store this week and you will see both Retina displays will look the same when held at the normal viewing angle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

iPod Touch G4 Retina display:
    3.5 in (89 mm), 2:3 aspect ratio, 24-bit color, aluminosilicate glass-covered LED-backlit LCD, 960×640 px at 326 ppi, 800:1 contrast ratio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Touch

24. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

LOL, you're really making a fool of yourself if you believe TN is same quality as IPS.

Again, lol, yeah go on, keep spreading this bs... I can guarantee it's gonna be corrected in a few days after the realease of new iPod touch.

25. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Yeah, call me delusional.

There are a number of things wrong with those pictures.

I'll wait and compare it to my iPad, iPod touch 3G, and DROID Incredible (amoled) before I conclude it is much worse.