Finally decided to return 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tttexxan, Jul 22, 2010.

1. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

First off I am and apple fan through and through. Love gadgets to the extreme! Very excited when the 4 came out and waited over 8 hours in line with a pre order in place. However (you guessed it) the signal issue is driving me crazy!! My daughter took over my 3gs Jailbroken phone and raves about no drop calls or signal loss when most of the time I get nothing.

Yesterday was the last straw. We were eating out and my daughter wanted me to see this website. Her 3gs had full bars....My 4g had 1 to no service at times. I have an apple bumper in place, but this is crazy!! She was surfing without any trouble and my phone kept saying unable to open site. NICE!!

So about to get ready and take back my iphone and buy my daughter another 3gs so I can take over my old Jailbroken 3gs phone.

I look forward to having my jailbreak back once more...

2. Kayan macrumors 6502

If you're looking for sympathy here, I'll give it to ya. Sorry to hear your loss. I love my 4 and agree with Jobs on this much: this issue affects a small percentage of users and you, unfortunately, are one. I have been able to somewhat duplicate the deathgrip, but also I have been in places where out of curiosity, I try it again and absolutely cannot get any signal loss.

3. csmitty macrumors regular

Doesn't get much more definitive than that. I probably would too. was it on 4.0 or .0.1?

I'd atleast try another.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

5. tttexxan thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was on 4.0....My wife had the same issue with her phone and she returned two weeks ago and went back to her old 3gs. She has been happy ever since. Another strange issue is the White Balance on the camera. Many of the photos come out yellow where my old 3gs was spot on. Just seems like a good idea to w8 for the next version or just stick with what I used to have. I Loved having the Jailbreak options and the phone did everything I needed it to do. I just thought newer was better. Apperently not in this case

6. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

There aren't enough of these iPhone 4 threads on the main board? Please don't infect the iPhone Hacks section with this irrelevance.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Relax, this isn't the Hacks section.

9. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

10. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Another one of these? Thanks for sharing.

Look, I would suggest for you to get a replacement if possible. Call Apple Care and tell them you want a replacement and explain the problem. Before anything else is done, however, you should definitely update to 4.0.1 and try that. It seems like you haven't given that a try. Once you do that, if you still have the same issue, call Apple or simply return it. I think Apple has done what they can in addressing the issue. You have a bumper, what is part of the solution. If it doesn't work, take them up on part II of the solution: return it.

11. tivoboy macrumors 68030

don't let the cinics get you down

I'm with you, returned it yesterday.

Making the switch back to 3gs as we speak (gf isn't happy to go back to her 2g iphone for a little while, THAT would be a hard jump for me)

too many dropped calls, no signal, SMS wouldn't send, couldn't get google maps to come up on the road, etc.. I'll reassess in a few months. Reset contract, maybe we'll have a t-mobile or verizon version insight before then. AND, most likely a 1.1 design.

Mac fan APPLE fan and buyer for 30+ years, so don't say I'm not a fanboy

12. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Yeah, it's shame really, because other than that the phone is excellent. It's also really frustrating apple denying it. Hope the 3GS works out for you in the meantime.

13. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Did you update the firmware to 4.0.1? Did you have a bumper or case on it?

14. SqB macrumors 6502

Sad to see it go.

My 2 4's are going back today. It breaks my little :apple: loving heart. I was actually ok with the death grip. I could make it happen anytime I want, but I was willing to live with it.

I travel lots in Wyoming, Idaho, Nebraska and South Dakota. I understand that ATT doesn't "cover" most of the area in these states, and I'm also ok with that. I'm used to just having no coverage on the road, and then roaming when I get into towns. I'm ok with that.

But, I just got back from an extended trip to SD and northern WY this morning and the 4 was just killing me. It would never find signal when moving back into a roaming coverage area. It would just stay on NO SERVICE. Anytime I got into town, I had to turn the phone off and back on again to make it pick up the signal. When I could finally make it pick up a roaming signal, the call quality was horrible and dropped frequently. This had also happened to me here in Colorado when driving around before, but I didn't think anything of it, figuring it was just a fluke.

With all I'm willing to put up with, I just can't deal with this so it's going back. I don't hate it, I love the phone. I hope to have one again in the near future, but it's probably going to have to be with Verizon. We were even joking about moving back to FL where we never had a single problem or dropped call with ATT so we could keep the 4's. In the mean time, it's back to my 3G or maybe even my RAZR until the remaining months of my original contract are up.

I know this is just another post about the same thing everybody else is bitching about, but I wanted to vent and at least I didn't create another thread to do it. :D

15. Tibs066 macrumors member

Me and my wife both carry 3gs and 75% or the time they have different bar status. Right now as i am typing this i have 3 bars on 3g and hers is 1 bar on edge. I dont know if this helps any but networks are funny like that or so apple and att say

16. Hovey macrumors regular

Some of the problems listed here sound like they go beyond the basic "antenna gate" I would've taken them back and exchanged to see if there was a difference.

17. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Agreed. My phone has been 100% flawless in low signal areas and of course in good signal areas. I have yet to drop a call, lose data or anything else because of the antenna. Sometimes I use a case, sometimes I don't. It doesn't matter.

There are going to be problem phones that have nothing to do with the design. With a good phone I just don't see how these problems are possible only because mine has been amazing, far better than my 3GS ever was.

18. bat95132 macrumors member

What do you want posting here? Sympathy? You got the .01% which is defective. Swap the phone and go on your marry way. If you are looking for a reason to jump on the iPhone 4 sucks road then great job you bought into the propaganda.

19. Kevio macrumors regular

Sounds like you need an exchange. Sorry you are experiencing troubles with your phone. I received a working unit and I'm having a really tough time finding something I don't like about it. I'll get back to you guys when I do though. ;)

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Given your circumstances OP, I would have returned it as well. However, as others have said, it is not a problem for all iPhone 4 users. Mine has been great since I put it in an iFrogz luxe case.

21. leftcoast macrumors member

I just got mine yesterday and love it, but I am already contemplating returning it. I can make the bars drop at will, but have yet to show no service or test the voice quality with 1 or 2 bars. If anyone else here works for lockheed know that you need your phone on 24/7 and can't afford to drop calls. If I do return it there will be no whining I'll just wait patiently for i5.

22. tivoboy macrumors 68030

yes, and yes. Not a bumper, but a third party case. Looks like a bumper Couldn't GET A bumper, the palo alto and stanford stores didn't have any for weeks, and then they all got pulled.

I'll add something now that I read some more of the posts here. I would have FIVE bars in many places, and indeed in places where on the 3gs I most likely wouldn't or didn't recall having five bars. That said, I spent so many times with FIVE bars and 3G and no data connection.

23. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

sucks for you..... have fun with old technology..

24. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

people are just sharing their experiences, what's wrong with that? no need to be an ass. i have to say that's the one thing i miss about the android forums. people were actually nice over there. i love the iphone 4 but my forum experience so far makes me feel like i'm back in middle school :confused:

25. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

You should have it replaced, my 4 has better reception and faster speed than my old 3gs and my coworkers current 3gs's in all areas.

Before you take it back, do a factory restore and .... here it comes..... this is important...... dont ignore this part coming up here.... dont be mad if I yelll!!!!

Set up as a new phone!!!!! Dont restore from backup!!!!!!!

That is probably your issue....... OK

Thanks
    Peace
    :):apple: