Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Was crunching for another team before. The stats from Berkley show the aggregate as do some tools like the FAH Wudget.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
You need to update to the 6.29 client.

Bigadv are still more ppd but on win side many people are switching to SMP2 because the a3 core is quite fast on 4 cores (8 virtual).

Soon bigadv units are switching to a3 core also. I would then hope that we will not be loosing units due to restart or power loss or network switching as the a3 core is now threaded.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
You need to update to the 6.29 client.

Bigadv are still more ppd but on win side many people are switching to SMP2 because the a3 core is quite fast on 4 cores (8 virtual).

Soon bigadv units are switching to a3 core also. I would then hope that we will not be loosing units due to restart or power loss or network switching as the a3 core is now threaded.

thanks for that info!

well i'm away from my computers for the next 2 months, and it looks like already something is wrong. i've had no points for the last 3 updates, so i either had a power outage or network failure. but my server is still working though.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Looks like there is a problem with 6.29 client (at least for mac) where if you get an a1 unit after an a3 one, something goes wrong.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Looks like there is a problem with 6.29 client (at least for mac) where if you get an a1 unit after an a3 one, something goes wrong.

dang. well all my computers are down back at my apartment, so my production will be very little. i just started folding on my mbp with an a3 unit, so we'll see how it goes

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
dang. well all my computers are down back at my apartment, so my production will be very little. i just started folding on my mbp with an a3 unit, so we'll see how it goes

Sorry to hear that, when will you be able to get back to your apartment to get everything started again?

My points are down too for some reason, not sure what the problem is as everything is running ok.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Sorry to hear that, when will you be able to get back to your apartment to get everything started again?

My points are down too for some reason, not sure what the problem is as everything is running ok.

i won't get back to my apartment before april. so another month and half of no output basically unless i manage to get another system.

i just don't know what happened. they were running fine before i left.

btw, congrats on 9 million points!

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
i won't get back to my apartment before april. so another month and half of no output basically unless i manage to get another system.

i just don't know what happened. they were running fine before i left.

btw, congrats on 9 million points!

That is too bad, I am trying to get ssh to work on one of my ubuntu boxes from wich I hope to be able to administer the other systems.

It's called Murphy's law - whatever can go wrong will go wrong... especially when you can't do anything about it.

Thanks. maybe I'll be 10 mil by the end of the month :D

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
That is too bad, I am trying to get ssh to work on one of my ubuntu boxes from wich I hope to be able to administer the other systems.

It's called Murphy's law - whatever can go wrong will go wrong... especially when you can't do anything about it.

Thanks. maybe I'll be 10 mil by the end of the month :D

thanks. i really can't figure out what happened.

good for you :)

hey, what ppd are you averaging for you mac pro and i7?

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
hey, what ppd are you averaging for you mac pro and i7?

Good question, I'm not sure at this point. Lets me see; the MP was doing a bigadv unit every ~46 hrs which would yield maybe ~25k per day, the i7 isn't doing so well with 3 gpu and win 7 on it, I would guess maybe 2k/day or less. It doesn't seem to slow down the gpu's fortunately.

I wanted to ask you about oc'ing the i7, every time I tried to bump it up it started freezing or crashing, I have a water cooler on it which seems to do a really good job. I've just left it at stock but would like to try to get it higher sometime. I don't have any experience with oc'ing as I mostly stick with mac and Linux which don't have the tools/ability for oc'ing like windows does.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Good question, I'm not sure at this point. Lets me see; the MP was doing a bigadv unit every ~46 hrs which would yield maybe ~25k per day, the i7 isn't doing so well with 3 gpu and win 7 on it, I would guess maybe 2k/day or less. It doesn't seem to slow down the gpu's fortunately.

I wanted to ask you about oc'ing the i7, every time I tried to bump it up it started freezing or crashing, I have a water cooler on it which seems to do a really good job. I've just left it at stock but would like to try to get it higher sometime. I don't have any experience with oc'ing as I mostly stick with mac and Linux which don't have the tools/ability for oc'ing like windows does.

ok. now do you have the 2.66 or 2.26 mac pro octo?

for the i7, what most people do is run linux in a VM and do the bigadv units while also doing gpu units. but i wouldn't do this unless you're running at least around 3.3 ghz. i'm running around 3.6 ghz i think, and i have 2 gpu's going on mine. it slows down the bigadv units, but the gpu's make up for it.

how are you trying to overclock now? just in the bios? that's basically just how i do it - in the bios. but that will depend on your motherboard

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
ok. now do you have the 2.66 or 2.26 mac pro octo?

for the i7, what most people do is run linux in a VM and do the bigadv units while also doing gpu units. but i wouldn't do this unless you're running at least around 3.3 ghz. i'm running around 3.6 ghz i think, and i have 2 gpu's going on mine. it slows down the bigadv units, but the gpu's make up for it.

I'm not going to go to all that trouble, VM's seem like kind of a pain.

how are you trying to overclock now? just in the bios? that's basically just how i do it - in the bios. but that will depend on your motherboard

I've just tried it in bios without much luck.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I'm not going to go to all that trouble, VM's seem like kind of a pain.

VMs really aren't that bad. it's worth it. with just 1 gpu and and VM, i'm getting around 25k ppd. with 2 gpu, you'd get over 30kppd.

I've just tried it in bios without much luck.

oh. which motherboard do you have? i've had a little trouble with mine, i'm stuck at 3.7 ghz (still not bad).

This guide might help you some

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
congrats to SciFrog for 5 million points for MacRumors!

Ditto!

I see some new folks putting up some points, designed, DistortedLoop, and MAcProCPO is back at it again, thanks for the effort to those and other newbies!

I had a problem with the MacPro after I upgraded to a 3 SSD raid for booting ... I forgot to set the machine to NOT go to sleep, DUH! I could not figure out why it was timing out of folding every so often with the remote Linux boards that I'm ssh'd into from the Mac. NOW that I have that figured out my points will pick up again. It was still impressive just running the 6 GPU's and 2 win clients at about 50k per day!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Ditto!

I see some new folks putting up some points, designed, DistortedLoop, and MAcProCPO is back at it again, thanks for the effort to those and other newbies!

I had a problem with the MacPro after I upgraded to a 3 SSD raid for booting ... I forgot to set the machine to NOT go to sleep, DUH! I could not figure out why it was timing out of folding every so often with the remote Linux boards that I'm ssh'd into from the Mac. NOW that I have that figured out my points will pick up again. It was still impressive just running the 6 GPU's and 2 win clients at about 50k per day!

yeah i'm glad to see some new names!

glad you got your Mac Pro back up and going again. i won't be back up full throttle until early april though

also, i did end up getting another machine with an i7 920 in it with a GTX260. i've been messing around with overclocking it, and i'm pulling around 28-30K PPD with just the one machine - 1 GPU cliend and 1 bigadv client running inside a VM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.