Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cree182

Suspended
Feb 15, 2016
Sydney Australia
I dropped my phone today on some nice hard tiles and tried to catch it which only resulted in the phone hitting the tiles even harder. I thought for sure something would be damaged but the Spigen case did what it was meant to do. Just thought I'd let you know how the ultra hybrid goes.

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
I dropped my phone today on some nice hard tiles and tried to catch it which only resulted in the phone hitting the tiles even harder. I thought for sure something would be damaged but the Spigen case did what it was meant to do. Just thought I'd let you know how the ultra hybrid goes.
I appreciate it. Is your case the regular Ultra Hybrid or a variant?

Thanks,
Brian

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
I'll probably order several cases and simply try to return the ones that don't work as well. I am interested in the Diztronic Voyeur, but Diztronic's customer "support" is execrable.

As I'm on a limited budget, I must be mindful not only of return shipping costs but also restocking fees.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I'll probably order several cases and simply try to return the ones that don't work as well. I am interested in the Diztronic Voyeur, but Diztronic's customer "support" is execrable.

As I'm on a limited budget, I must be mindful not only of return shipping costs but also restocking fees.

Really? I've never had an issue with their products but after my purchases they'll email me to give feedback. Usually give me a coupon code too

Reactions: Wheel_D

Cree182

Suspended
Feb 15, 2016
Sydney Australia

In my experience like I said above the Spigen ultra hybrid has been more than enough protection. I have dropped it a few times since then and still no broken phone.

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
In my experience like I said above the Spigen ultra hybrid has been more than enough protection. I have dropped it a few times since then and still no broken phone.
Hello, Cree182 -

Thanks for the reminder. Yes, I intend to try the Ultra Hybrid along with several other recommended cases. Please bear in mind that I have a physical disability, and as such my considerations would likely be different from your own.

I take it you've had no trouble with the plastic turning yellow? What about dust or oil accumulation--have you had any problems?

Best regards,
Brian

Cree182

Suspended
Feb 15, 2016
Sydney Australia
Hello, Cree182 -

Thanks for the reminder. Yes, I intend to try the Ultra Hybrid along with several other recommended cases. Please bear in mind that I have a physical disability, and as such my considerations would likely be different from your own.

I take it you've had no trouble with the plastic turning yellow? What about dust or oil accumulation--have you had any problems?

Best regards,
Brian

Hi Brian. Nope I have heard of people having the yellow discolouration but I've yet to experience this. No dust gets into the case as it is a perfect fit almost air tight lol.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003

I had an issue once and they sent me a new case free of charge. Plus, if you buy on Amazon, you deal with Amazon for returns not Diztronic.

Cree182

Suspended
Feb 15, 2016
Sydney Australia
So today I accidentally threw out my Spigen ultra hybrid while at work today. So I just ordered the new Spigen ultra hybrid tech. When I get it I'll let you know how it is.

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
So today I accidentally threw out my Spigen ultra hybrid while at work today. So I just ordered the new Spigen ultra hybrid tech. When I get it I'll let you know how it is.
I appreciate it, thanks!

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
Gotta say I'm picky with cases also. I've had the UAG on my phone for a while and I liked it. Then I tried the Playproof and liked the thinness but didn't like the lack of grip. Now I'm on the Evutec and I really like it. Thinness of the Playproof with the same drop protection as the UAG (the standard 4ft).

Just my two cents! Figured I'd share since I know the struggle of finding the right case for your needs. I've been following the thread for a while now to see what you would end up with. Good luck!

Reactions: rcjr

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
. . . Now I'm on the Evutec and I really like it. Thinness of the Playproof with the same drop protection as the UAG (the standard 4ft).
Thanks, Jaggery -

I had considered the Evutec Karbon SI a prime contender, but I've recently struck it from my list. I'd seen reports that the Karbon is slightly slippery, and I got the impression that it simply wouldn't quite provide the degree of protection I want. Also influential were the critical comments from @NovemberWhiskey and @TheIntruder, who said that such material was too thin to be shock absorbent. I infer that you disagree. :)

I plan to post an updated list in the coming days, and I intend to order a 6S Plus on March 9th.

Kind regards,
Brian

Last edited:

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I re-read your first post, have you looked at the Patchworks new "prestige" case? It's like the one you posted by has a leather back and sides, might provide more grip than the standard version. I'm considering getting one myself.

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
Thanks, Jaggery -

I had considered the Evutec Karbon SI a prime contender, but I've recently struck it from my list. I'd seen reports that the Karbon is slightly slippery, and I got the impression that it simply wouldn't quite provide the degree of protection I want. Also influential were the critical comments from @NovemberWhiskey and @TheIntruder, who said that such material was too thin to be shock absorbent. I infer that you disagree. :)

I plan to post an updated list in the coming days, and I intend to order a 6S Plus on March 9th.

Kind regards,
Brian
Have you tried handling the Evutec? I intended to go by a local Best Buy to handle the 6 version (they don't carry the 6+ version) but I just bit the bullet and ordered it on Amazon since it would come before I'd have a chance to pass by. I had also read comments stating it was slippery so I was expecting to just return it after trying it myself, but I was surprised. It's good for me. I don't feel like I'm settling for somewhat grippiness like I did with the Playproof. The feel kinda reminds me of the soft touch that Seidio has on their cases. My hands are usually kinda dry which makes everything a bit more slippery, but I haven't had a problem with this case since I got it.

Regarding drop protection.... who really knows. It's amazing that the Playproof is certified for 11 ft. drops as thin as it is. I do remember reading that if a company says their product is compliant to the MIL whatever spec is, they have to be able to provide a copy of the test results. I believe UAG has this somewhere on their website, but I'm not sure if Evutec or others that claim to have that protection have it up. You should be able to ask for it. For the phone to be fully functional after being dropped 32 times various ways (which is how the test is conducted to get the certification) I think would be something to brag about, which is why they're doing it now. But having all that done doesn't mean that it'll never break for you either!

Reactions: rcjr and Wheel_D

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I've been an Element Case fan since iPhone 4. I am using the Black Ops Pro on my 6s Plus and it has kept the phone in pristine condition for some time. I tested drop protection on a tile floor a few weeks ago (accidentally) and the only damage was a Zagg glass screen protector that cracked. The phone and case landed just fine... No problems at all.
d1bc521b60b9004c386c93f1a6910bc0.jpg

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
I re-read your first post, have you looked at the Patchworks new "prestige" case? It's like the one you posted by has a leather back and sides, might provide more grip than the standard version. I'm considering getting one myself.
Well, that is different, thanks! I've researched scores of cases and haven't seen a drop-rated case for the "Plus" that incorporates leather. Unfortunately, it also uses metal, so I'd be concerned about the potential for signal loss.

Kind regards,
Brian

blue-bear

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
#straya
I currently have the Evutec Karbon SI and Zagg Glass Luxe on my iPhone 6 Plus and have to say it's the best combination I have used, I have dropped my phone onto asphalt in this setup and the phone itself came out fine even the case came out with barely a mark!

Reactions: Wheel_D and rcjr

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
After trying so many different cases, I think the right case for me is the Apple silicone. Love the way it feels in the hand and it keeps the phone thin. Love it.

rcjr

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2015
I currently have the Evutec Karbon SI and Zagg Glass Luxe on my iPhone 6 Plus and have to say it's the best combination I have used, I have dropped my phone onto asphalt in this setup and the phone itself came out fine even the case came out with barely a mark!

This is the exact same setup I have on my 6s Plus. Great combination, indeed!

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Thanks, Jaggery -

I wouldn't characterize the Evutec as slippery. Actually, I rather like the rubbery coating it has, as it strikes a nice balance between offering some grip, but not too much so that it becomes an issue when extracting it from pockets, or collecting detritus like dry silicone cases do. I've never handled a Play Proof, but to me, something like a Speck Candyshell and its hard plastic can be slippery, especially when wet. But I have had two of the Grip versions for both 5 and 6, which I like for their grip (especially for $10 from a discount dept. store).

My comment was really about the kevlar veneer layer not providing any benefit in this application, except for looks. The protection comes from the TPU layer, but ultimately, a case is still a thin plastic shell that can only do so much.

As I've said before, my only beef with the Karbon is the price. It falls outside my price sensitivity boundaries when there are more interesting looking choices for that kind of money. When not up close, it looks like any other piece of black plastic. YMMV.

Their new Kaleidoscope and Texture lines are priced more sanely, and I like the looks of the former. If they're similar to the Karbon, they should be good options.

It can be hard, but you can't keep agonizing over the perfect case; nothing prevents you from changing your mind, or getting more than one.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
I wouldn't characterize the Evutec as slippery. Actually, I rather like the rubbery coating it has, as it strikes a nice balance between offering some grip, but not too much so that it becomes an issue when extracting it from pockets, or collecting detritus like dry silicone cases do. I've never handled a Play Proof, but to me, something like a Speck Candyshell and its hard plastic can be slippery, especially when wet. But I have had two of the Grip versions for both 5 and 6, which I like for their grip (especially for $10 from a discount dept. store).

My comment was really about the kevlar veneer layer not providing any benefit in this application, except for looks. The protection comes from the TPU layer, but ultimately, a case is still a thin plastic shell that can only do so much.

As I've said before, my only beef with the Karbon is the price. It falls outside my price sensitivity boundaries when there are more interesting looking choices for that kind of money. When not up close, it looks like any other piece of black plastic. YMMV.

Their new Kaleidoscope and Texture lines are priced more sanely, and I like the looks of the former. If they're similar to the Karbon, they should be good options.

It can be hard, but you can't keep agonizing over the perfect case; nothing prevents you from changing your mind, or getting more than one.
I just reviewed the Kaleidoscope--it's a very pretty case with a unique look and feels nice in the hand. It has almost no lip, which is a bit concerning, however:

Kristin

Reactions: Wheel_D and rcjr

Cree182

Suspended
Feb 15, 2016
Sydney Australia
So I received my Spigen ultra hybrid tech and have only been using it for a couple of hours but so far this is what I think.

Has a nice sleek feel in hand but still has plenty of grip.
The buttons are slightly raised and have a nice solid click feel when pressed.
Has nice raised front and back lip even with my glass protector still sits off the table.
Doesn't add much bulk to the phone and is military drop graded (whatever that means lol)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.