Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Not pure assumption but informed speculation. They had switched everything else to USB-C already. Maybe the EU should have asked them before mandating it? Sad.
Assumption. Speculation. Whatever you’d like to call it.

Increased control in one area is indicative of control in another. But some people aren’t smart enough to realize this, LMAO. It’s a slow and steady erosion of freedom.
Slippery slope is called a fallacy for a reason.

You might have trouble finding gas stations, though, when they mandate fossil fuels out of existence. Hopefully that won’t happen and you’ll be able to buy as many Hellcats and Vipers as you like….
Apparently you don’t follow the industry as closely as I do. Fossil fuels are not going to be mandated out of existence. Things are shifting toward hybrids (which guess what, requires gasoline) and away from a near universal focus on BEVs. I won’t get into the reasons for that, because they’re even more irrelevant than the current discussion considering what the topic of this thread is supposed to be about.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Assumption. Speculation. Whatever you’d like to call it.

Slippery slope is called a fallacy for a reason.

Apparently you don’t follow the industry as closely as I do. Fossil fuels are not going to be mandated out of existence. Things are shifting toward hybrids (which guess what, requires gasoline) and away from a near universal focus on BEVs. I won’t get into the reasons for that, because they’re even more irrelevant than the current discussion considering what the topic of this thread is supposed to be about.
Informed speculation and common sense.

Who calls it a fallacy besides you? Sounds like a very convenient argument.

I’m quite happy that you follow the industry closely and for these developments and I hope things continue in that vein, as they should.

But there’s a reason some governments (such as the EU) have started to roll back these mandates and it’s because they realize they made a mistake. Hence, the all powerful, all knowing elected representatives realizing they didn’t know everything. Which is the same ignorance with which they regulate other industries.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Informed speculation and common sense.
Simply claiming something doesn’t make it so.

Insert MichaelaScottIDeclareBankruptcy.gif

Who calls it a fallacy besides you? Sounds like a very convenient argument.
Seriously lmao?

“When the initial step is not demonstrably likely to result in the claimed effects, this is called the slippery slope fallacy. This is a type of informal fallacy, and is a subset of continuum fallacy, in that it ignores the possibility of middle ground and assumes a discrete transition from category A to category B.”

I’m quite happy that you follow the industry closely and for these developments and I hope things continue in that vein, as they should.

But there’s a reason some governments (such as the EU) have started to roll back these mandates and it’s because they realize they made a mistake. Hence, the all powerful, all knowing elected representatives realizing they didn’t know everything. Which is the same ignorance with which they regulate other industries.
Indeed, one can sometimes make a mistake and other times do things correctly. Success once does not guarantee future success nor does failure once guarantee future failure. I don’t know about you, but I rather appreciate when someone realizes they need to fix something they messed up. I take it you must either consider yourself someone who never makes a mistake (which would be downright laughable) or are someone who refuses to fix their mistakes after they realize they’ve made one (big yikes on that one).

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Simply claiming something doesn’t make it so.

Insert MichaelaScottIDeclareBankruptcy.gif

Seriously lmao?

“When the initial step is not demonstrably likely to result in the claimed effects, this is called the slippery slope fallacy. This is a type of informal fallacy, and is a subset of continuum fallacy, in that it ignores the possibility of middle ground and assumes a discrete transition from category A to category B.”

Indeed, one can sometimes make a mistake and other times do things correctly. Success once does not guarantee future success nor does failure once guarantee future failure. I don’t know about you, but I rather appreciate when someone realizes they need to fix something they messed up. I take it you must either consider yourself someone who never makes a mistake (which would be downright laughable) or are someone who refuses to fix their mistakes after they realize they’ve made one (big yikes on that one).
I agree totally-- which means it holds true for claiming the opposite (that Apple would not have switched to USB-C). There is no way to prove either.

Seriously? LOL. Try thinking outside the box. There are arguments on both sides on the validity of slippery slope arguments, including from some rather famous U.S. Supreme Court justices. Since we don't have a warrant to demonstrate the process to its logical conclusion, we can't to see into the future to see if the initial step is "not demonstrably likely to result in the claimed effects." Just saying it's a fallacy because it's a slippery slope argument does not make it true; neither does it make it false. Discounting either possibility without evidence would be totally irrational or at best, ignorant.

Only time will tell if the EU's exertion of control over industries in one area leads to increasingly stringent controls in other areas that have undesirable effects, but I certainly know what I believe.

Your assertions about the kind of person I consider myself are wholly incorrect, but I would wager are some kind of laughable projection. Good luck with that.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
Laugh all you want, but I've had my FineWoven case since November and have never had a problem with it. It still looks the same as it was brand new - minus the normal hand oil/whatever that's on it, which I clean regularly using soap and a toothbrush.

I would buy one again. I definitely prefer them over the silicone cases.

To each their own.
I don’t know why people are disliking this post.

And apple would have switched to USB-C anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: transpo1

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I agree totally-- which means it holds true for claiming the opposite (that Apple would not have switched to USB-C). There is no way to prove either.
Exactly, so now maybe you understand why the EU wasn't going to continue to wait around in perpetuity while Apple decided whether or not they wanted to join the party with everyone else.

Seriously? LOL. Try thinking outside the box. There are arguments on both sides on the validity of slippery slope arguments, including from some rather famous U.S. Supreme Court justices. Since we don't have a warrant to demonstrate the process to its logical conclusion, we can't to see into the future to see if the initial step is "not demonstrably likely to result in the claimed effects." Just saying it's a fallacy because it's a slippery slope argument does not make it true; neither does it make it false. Discounting either possibility without evidence would be totally irrational or at best, ignorant.
So are you backing away from your claim then or sticking with your slippery slope fallacy? Because you said the EU seemed to be a fascist state where this move to force Apple into using USB-C is part of a slow and steady erosion of freedom. Does this move regarding USB-C mean the EU will surely move to ban Vipers next? Because that would be a perfect example of the fallacy.

Only time will tell if the EU's exertion of control over industries in one area leads to increasingly stringent controls in other areas that have undesirable effects, but I certainly know what I believe.
Oh, actually it seems I have the answer to my query above. So I guess the EU forcing Apple to use USB-C doesn't magically mean the EU will move forward with other even more significant measures in the future. Cool, glad to see you came around to my point of view on that.

Your assertions about the kind of person I consider myself are wholly incorrect, but I would wager are some kind of laughable projection. Good luck with that.
Bud, you're the one criticizing others for correcting mistakes, not me. Meanwhile I appreciate them correcting themselves. This being the case, you appear not to understand the concept of projection...

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Exactly, so now maybe you understand why the EU wasn't going to continue to wait around in perpetuity while Apple decided whether or not they wanted to join the party with everyone else.

So are you backing away from your claim then or sticking with your slippery slope fallacy? Because you said the EU seemed to be a fascist state where this move to force Apple into using USB-C is part of a slow and steady erosion of freedom. Does this move regarding USB-C mean the EU will surely move to ban Vipers next? Because that would be a perfect example of the fallacy.

Oh, actually it seems I have the answer to my query above. So I guess the EU forcing Apple to use USB-C doesn't magically mean the EU will move forward with other even more significant measures in the future. Cool, glad to see you came around to my point of view on that.

Bud, you're the one criticizing others for correcting mistakes, not me. Meanwhile I appreciate them correcting themselves. This being the case, you appear not to understand the concept of projection...
LOL. Nice try. I don't believe you understand the concept of a light touch in governance. There were other solutions besides passing a law to enforce adoption of USB-C; for example, a discussion with their partners (Apple) in industry. This happens all the time in the U.S. with various Federal agencies and industries but sometimes a government simply wants to exercise control and raw power. This is what's happening with the EU and Apple currently (not just in relation to USB-C, but to the App Store and across other industries as well).

You clearly don't understand gray areas very well and seem to force everything into black & white thought processes in an effort to claim a false victory in your argument. Either that or you don't bother to read. I said I believe this policy will form a slippery slope but allowed for the idea that we have no evidence either way; the fact that the fallacy concept exists does not mean that every slippery slope argument is without merit. Only people who are brain dead would think that. If you had read the link, you might understand. But again: an exhibit of very black and white, rudimentary thinking.

We don't know whether the EU's forced policy here will result in the erosion of freedom; there is no evidence either way. But my opinion is, it will, and yours is, it won't. I believe we're about to see the slippery slope in action with regards to the App Store policies and Apple's work arounds.

I'm not criticizing others for correcting mistakes, rather using it to illustrate to you how everything the EU does is not magically infallible. But again, you're so eager to claim victory and so incurious in your arguments with surface-level thinking that I don't believe you'll ever truly understand. Everyone lives in their own dream so enjoy yours. 😉

P.S. I hope the EU doesn't ban Vipers but we'll find out.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
LOL. Nice try. I don't believe you understand the concept of a light touch in governance. There were other solutions besides passing a law to enforce adoption of USB-C; for example, a discussion with their partners (Apple) in industry. This happens all the time in the U.S. with various Federal agencies and industries but sometimes a government simply wants to exercise control and raw power. This is what's happening with the EU and Apple currently (not just in relation to USB-C, but to the App Store and across other industries as well).

You clearly don't understand gray areas very well and seem to force everything into black & white thought processes in an effort to claim a false victory in your argument. Either that or you don't bother to read. I said I believe this policy will form a slippery slope but allowed for the idea that we have no evidence either way; the fact that the fallacy concept exists does not mean that every slippery slope argument is without merit. Only people who are brain dead would think that. If you had read the link, you might understand. But again: an exhibit of very black and white, rudimentary thinking.

We don't know whether the EU's forced policy here will result in the erosion of freedom; there is no evidence either way. But my opinion is, it will, and yours is, it won't. I believe we're about to see the slippery slope in action with regards to the App Store policies and Apple's work arounds.

I'm not criticizing others for correcting mistakes, rather using it to illustrate to you how everything the EU does is not magically infallible. But again, you're so eager to claim victory and so incurious in your arguments with surface-level thinking that I don't believe you'll ever truly understand. Everyone lives in their own dream so enjoy yours. 😉

P.S. I hope the EU doesn't ban Vipers but we'll find out.
Rather than typing all of that out, you could’ve simply said “my previous statements were opinions rather than facts.”

Did you consider that perhaps the EU did ask Apple about replacing Lighting? Why do you automatically assume they didn’t? Your assumption requires the belief that Apple didn’t have a single person on their governmental affairs team in touch with anyone in the EU while this law was being drafted.

And nobody said the EU was infallible. Certainly not me. Yet another example of an erroneous assumption on your part.

Anyway, I’ll allow you the last word on this derailed thread that was supposed to be about how awful Apple’s FineWoven cases are.

Last edited:

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Rather than typing all of that out, you could’ve simply said “my previous statements were opinions rather than facts.”

Did you consider that perhaps the EU did ask Apple about replacing Lighting? Why do you automatically assume they didn’t? Your assumption requires the belief that Apple didn’t have a single person on their governmental affairs team in touch with anyone in the EU while this law was being drafted.

And nobody said the EU was infallible. Certainly not me. Yet another example of an erroneous assumption on your part.

Anyway, I’ll allow you the last word on this derailed thread that was supposed to be about how awful Apple’s FineWoven cases are.
I never said my opinion was fact— you assumed I thought that— erroneously. :) And yes, I am also assuming the EU and Apple didn’t chat about USB-C but there is no evidence as of yet discovered by either you or I either way. I’ll keep an open mind if you can find some.

I’m also glad to hear you don’t think the EU is infallible. I can see now that perhaps you just happen to agree with them on forcing device makers to use USB-C.

Now that I’m quite sure you and I are the only ones left reading this thread, it’s a good time to end it. Man, those Finewoven cases are terrible aren’t they? LOL.

All the best to you and the Hellcat.

Reactions: vipergts2207

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
Laugh all you want, but I've had my FineWoven case since November and have never had a problem with it. It still looks the same as it was brand new - minus the normal hand oil/whatever that's on it, which I clean regularly using soap and a toothbrush.

To each their own.

thanks for the tip, my watch band was really dirty - turned really dark on the top of the links - and this cleaned it up quite a bit.

thewill586

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
Oh ya, they're out to save the environment while trying the best they can to stop you from repairing your device so that you have to buy a new one. I wanted to repair my left airpod pro and the cost was higher than a new pair. Their only alligiance is to shareholders and if talking about the environment helps them sell products, they sure as hell will do it.

And how is the EU forcing apple to move to usb-c the worst decising for the environment? Everything else is on usb-c and it limits the number of different cables people need to buy for their electronics.

I can understand government decisions on design for safety like airbags and stoplights. USB-C is a decision aimed at consumer affordability. If in the future there is a proposal to replace USB-C with a faster, smaller connector, wouldn’t the EU disallow it? After all, the cheapest solution for consumers is to not replace those old cables.

Roger1079

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009

To each their own.
Found the Apple employee.

Reactions: JohnRckr

Roger1079

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
Oh, another finewoven case hate thread that will reach 15 pages and not a single photo of poster's cases after 6 months. :rolleyes:
So people are lying? I didn't buy one of those pieces of garbage but a coworker did. After ONE WEEK the sides of the case were peeling. After TWO WEEKS the case was stained from who knows what because he never set it down on any kind of moisture. Not to even mention the scratches that appeared out of nowhere. If the price was $20, fine. These products were marketed as better than leather PREMIUM cases and priced to reflect that. The problem is that they forgot to manufacture a premium product.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So people are lying? I didn't buy one of those pieces of garbage but a coworker did. After ONE WEEK the sides of the case were peeling. After TWO WEEKS the case was stained from who knows what because he never set it down on any kind of moisture. Not to even mention the scratches that appeared out of nowhere. If the price was $20, fine. These products were marketed as better than leather PREMIUM cases and priced to reflect that. The problem is that they forgot to manufacture a premium product.
I wonder how people treat their property? I have a slight amount of wear in my fine woven case of 4 months.

Your coworker could have had a defective case. There’s nothing like leather, but leather gets scratched and damaged as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.