Firefox VS Safari

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by casey37812, Apr 10, 2009.

1. casey37812 macrumors newbie

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

its a matter of preference. I prefer safari, because i find the keyboard shortcuts work better for me, and i find it faster and more functional than firefox. Others swear by firefox.

They are both free, what do you have to lose by downloading them both?

3. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I think they are both awesome and overall the best browsers available. I do, however, prefer Firefox over Safari. I feel more comfortable in FF and it also has a couple of good add-ons that I like which are not available on Safari.

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

just download both. I've always loved Firefox and use it on my mac pro. However, on my macbook pro i use safari since multi-touch changes everything :D

5. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

while I read this forum on safari, I watch a hulu video in firefox on the background...

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I use Safari 4 (public beta) more because it's faster and is more web standard compliant. Firefox is good, but I find it doesn't scroll smoothly nor as stable. It feels likes its fast and stumbles sometimes. They're both free so download them both and try each out. The public beta of Safari can be downloaded for free on Apple's website under the Downloads section.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Use whichever one you like, and expect it to puke on some websites, then fire up the other one for those times.

If you come here complaining about your browser not working at several websites, then you are using the wrong one.

8. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Funny that someone should ask this question. I use Safari on my Macs and Firefox on my PCs.

9. virgomac macrumors member

I use Firefox for one and only reason....

Adblock Plus, there is absolutely no better ad blocking ad on anywhere

10. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Ditto,

Plus w/512 mb of ram, I spend quite a bit of time with the spinning beach ball using Safari 4

11. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I am getting more and more frustrated with Firefox, it is slower(marginally) than Safari and crashes far more often but I stick with it for the extensions. I'm also unwilling to move to Safari now because I don't like the new tab bar, so unless it can be turned off, it's FF for me.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Firefox. Mainly so I'm not tempted to download the Safari 4 beta and complain when things don't work, even though it's not a public release.

13. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I like the seamless iPhone/Safari bookmarking sync on iTunes, so I quit using FF.

FF is great, but Safari, with a few 'console' tweaks is on par.

Oh, BTW, the beta 4 Safari was giving me a lot of stuttering issues and overall a little buggy for everyday use. I have UMBP 15.

14. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I've pretty much always used Firefox on my PC, so I also use it on all my Macs.

Actually, prior to FF 3, I used Safari. FF 2 for Mac was really terrible. I don't know what they did, but FF3 is a huge improvement, and much better then Safari in my opinion.

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Dunno which is best... but i do have both and use them both depending on my mood. ATM Firefox.

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I like the new tab bar. FF3's tab bar is inefficient and single-threaded. If one tab crashed, entire browser crashes. Safari's tab is multi-threaded, one tab crashing will only crash one tab. Rest of the tabs are fully functional. You can turn it off with a few terminal commands though, just search the MacRumors forums.

The betas of FF and Safari haven't failed on a website for me yet.

Really? I don't get stutter from Safari (nor FF for that matter) at all and I'm on the polycarbonate MacBooks. Even the betas run smoothly.

17. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I use FF 3 about 95% of the time, and Safari 4 beta the rest of the time. As mentioned, FF3 was leaps ahead of FF2 (especially on Mac) and the page zoom option (command + or command -) was a huge improvement over resizing text. Safari 4 added this feature, but the increments/jumps are twice that of FF, so sometimes page zoom on Safari 4 just doesn't result in the 'right' level, when you want the setting right in the middle. But, it is a step in the right direction for Safari. FF extensions are the big thing, and there are a lot of useful ones which can literally customize the entire browsing experience just to your own habits, needs. The first release of FF 3 did tend to crash quite a bit on OSX 10.5.5, usually when two-finger scrolling, but with recent updates in bot OSX and FF, it seems to have cured that. Safari renders pages a bit faster...

Get them both, use them both... one will fit you better as your browsing style evolves. All references to Safari are about version 4 (beta.) FF3 and Safari 4 are both a lot better than the current/(old) version of Safari, IMO.

Snowleopard2008: re: FF scrolling not being smooth... have you checked the option for "use smooth scrolling" in the preferences? It seems smooth to me with that option enabled. Also, about the instability...do you have all the latest updates installed? It might make a difference.

18. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I use Safari because i comes with OS X and Macs :D

Just like Windows comes with internet explorer.

19. Freyqq macrumors 68040

FF for PC, Safari for mac

FF is coded badly on the mac, but better on the pc

20. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I like Firefox and its many plugins. But I LOVE Safari and some of the features it has that Firefox doesn't (text box resize, tabs on top, overall interface, etc.).

So I stick with Safari, and find similar plugins. Glims takes care of just about everything I need.

21. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Actually... I some times run both!! Here's Safari 4 beta.
    Now you can browse the web using coverflow!!! SWEET!! Can't do that in firefox...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

:eek: coverflow in safari is awesome. *tempted* to try the beta now

23. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

I just use Safari Adblock and *poof* gone are those ads. And it uses the block lists from Adblock Plus, so they should block the same ads.

I use Safari 4 as my main browser on OS X, and FF3 for those things that do not work. Generally, this means I do my work Exchange webmail with FF as Safari does not allow me to add attachments for some reason, and Safari for everything else.

24. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

firefox was better until safari 4.

Now I swear by safari 4 for all websites except the ones that it doesn't work for..

25. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I prefer Firefox. The new Safari 4 (beta) won´t allow hotmail for some strange reason