Firmware 2.4 PS3 released Wed 2nd July

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Jun 30, 2008.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

GREAT NEWS FOR ALL PS3 OWNERS....

Firmware 2.4 with trophies / in game XMB / custom soundtracks etc... will be released into the wild this Wed July 2nd.

The big question now is .... who the hell cares about HOME now ?

2. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Ooooh, sounds exciting. Can't wait. Now just don't tell me I have to start COD4 all over again... :eek: I've already spent way too much time with it. :D

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's an interesting point. If they do release patches for games to support trophies, will they be retrospective/retroactive or like you say are we going to have to start games all over again..

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

its a good start.

Still no voice chat in game, still no xmb during PS1/PS2/Blu-ray/DVD playing and no invites. Still, its nice to see Sony getting their head outta their ass.

you have to start over again. This way you can't download saved games to get all the trophies.

This FAQ on the Sony blog makes this update seems a lot more 'ehh' than I thought it would be

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/30/firmware-v240-faq/

5. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Sure, but what about games that are stored server side, like COD4 multiplayer? Or are trophies only for singleplayer?

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Whats really going to kick the button is if this trophy system actually rewards you with points to use in the PSN store like the rumor says.....indeed.

Good news none the less....bring it on.

Bless

7. Creeping-Death macrumors newbie

I very highly doubt that. What kind of a company would give money to their customers for playing their games?

8. asxtb macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; Google Wireless Transcoder;))

I'm excited about in game XMB and personal music lists. But am I the only person more excited about the XMB clock than trophies?

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nintendo Europe did (with a snide conversion ratio).

I wouldn't entirely cast this rumour out.

10. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Really!! because they have done sweet FA for me. They limited the amount of wii points available for people with stars to trade, meaning because I didn't do it straight away the wii points are now greyed out in the stars catalogue so I'm still left with 9,000+ stars doing nothing.

Awful implementation of a good idea, pretty much sums up star points.

11. hegor macrumors member

Until Home comes out, you should only expect regular incremental improvements to the PS3. Nothing wrong with that at all.

12. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Meh! I predict Home to be a small wave in a shallow puddle. I really can't see why people are getting hyped about it.

It's an overdesigned solution to a problem which now has a simple solution, therefore it's importance in the scheme of things is negligable.

13. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I don't know...a few million people around the world. :confused: :eek:

14. skrutzen macrumors regular

Can I ask what the big deal is about trophies? I don't see the point as I don't play online or anything like that.

15. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Trophies allow you to keep a record of your gameplay. It rewards you for finishing the games and may act as an incentive to finish too.

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Some people have small penises in real life, so to compensate they brag about their e-penis. Because getting all 1000 achievement points in a game on 360 somehow makes you cool and the supposed envy of all others. Some people need a grade to show how great they are (just like people who NEED a review score to justify their purchase).

17. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

wiiPenis :D

well my gamerscore is still under 10k since Dec 2005 and at least 80-100 games played so I must have a mammoth wang so!

I quite like the idea of a leveling up system for your profile, but the novelty will probably wear off very quickly.

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

But what does it do? If it unlocks things like new gamer pics or whatever then maybe but if it's just a number for the sake of being there then small penis syndrome confirmed :p

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I think leveling up is cool.....it will give me incentive play the game harder and I also think it will add replay to the games. Look at it as one big RPG and your leveling up your avatar.

Its nothing big or major to me but glad they did implement it....I'm hoping the rumor is true about being able to get free stuff from the PSN store when you reach a certain amount of points.

Ingame messaging is the one I've been waiting on.

Bless

20. asxtb macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; Google Wireless Transcoder;))

I think if you need a virtual trophy to play games harder, you're playing the wrong games.

I also agree with MRU about Home. There's a lot of hype now, but when it is finally released in 2011, I think a lot of people won't care.

21. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Sounds a lot like gamerpoints and achievements, just hopefully not as retarded....

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Who said NEED....this trophy thing is no big deal or should it be taking as such. I'm just saying IF these trophy do add up to points on the PSN store then I'll be doing my fair bit of search for them...free stuff is always good.

You'll have to point me to the "right" games one of these days.

Bless

23. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Firmware 2.4 up now!!

Download it!

Technically this belongs in the 2.4 thread, but now it's more noticable ;). I heard that the Stardust patch was also out, but I don't have the game.

24. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

omg, i was so excited for tomorrow but now its out right now. :)