Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well I took the chance and updated my USA PS3 and all is well too. There is obviously no difference in firmwares in regards to region as I used the same firmware on both.
:)

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
Btw, I have not had problems with my 2.40 install. I have since backed up my PS3 onto an external disk (I suggest all of you do the same) using the backup utility found under System Settings.
I read on the Playstation forum it appears to be some file on the HDD that is included in the backup that is not playing nice with the 2.4 update. People have reported that they reformatted their HDD and were able to install 2.4 successfully and have it running fine, but when they tried to restore their backup, it 'bricked' the PS3 again.

Still a good idea to back up for when Sony releases a fix.;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I assume it will take cross analysis of the content on those bricked drives to work out which specific file is causing the problem. It also explains why many of us have had no issue at all. However... should we suddenly acquire this renegade ;) file with our now updated 2.4 updates - will we suffer the issue too?

Do you think we will see a 2.4b that we can all update to - rather than just a re-release of the 2.4 update ?

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
^Whoa! You're asking too much of me! ;)
I'm not sure what would happen if acquired this file. But I really don't want to go trying to find out. Let's just hope Sony fixes it soon with 2.4b/2.41/2.4 re-release/or even 2.5.

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Mine's fine, but it's the super duper 80GB Korean version and those seem immune to all the problems that PS3 updates have had.

I'm annoyed that I didn't buy SSHD before the trophy support was removed. Now I'll just have to wait.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Just a quick heads up. Formatting the drive fixed it for me.

Luckily they could format it for me at work and when I put it back in at home it asked me to format it and after that everything works again.

Pure happiness. :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just a quick heads up. Formatting the drive fixed it for me.

Luckily they could format it for me at work and when I put it back in at home it asked me to format it and after that everything works again.

Pure happiness. :D

Great to hear. :)

Pine-Tree

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2005
Arizona, USA
I like all the new features, but I question the music move.

How many developers are going to add it in, and how come Sony couldn't just make it play over the in game music and have people manually turn down the soundtrack as a second option while waiting for patches?

The main reason Sony didn't just make it a feature from the start is because Microsoft has a patent on the idea of using custom soundtracks for music. I don't have a link, but I'm sure you can find it if you Google it.

The best thing Sony can do then is to just make it a feature where developers have to manually add it in for each game. Basically a loop-hole in the patent. But this means every developer will have their 'custom' way of doing in-game music which can lead to confusion for players in the end.

Oh well...the best Sony can do at the moment.

evan g

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
The main reason Sony didn't just make it a feature from the start is because Microsoft has a patent on the idea of using custom soundtracks for music. I don't have a link, but I'm sure you can find it if you Google it.

The best thing Sony can do then is to just make it a feature where developers have to manually add it in for each game. Basically a loop-hole in the patent. But this means every developer will have their 'custom' way of doing in-game music which can lead to confusion for players in the end.

Oh well...the best Sony can do at the moment.

Yeah, if you really can't wait for the patches, then buy PAIN. It already has music intergration (I hate spelling), and you just pick your own songs and playlists already on your PS3. Have fun AND listen to great music. :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah, if you really can't wait for the patches, then buy PAIN. It already has music intergration (I hate spelling), and you just pick your own songs and playlists already on your PS3. Have fun AND listen to great music. :)

Is Pain any good though ?

evan g

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Is Pain any good though ?

OH YES. What can't be more fun than shooting yourself out of a giant slingshot, nailing passerby and wreaking havoc? :D The whole game is full of trophies and ingame music and stuff that other people have been waiting on with 2.40. Me and my friends couldn't stop laughing.

And another thing I don't usually mention, but my uncle(funniest guy you'll ever meet) was the concept artist. And now that my brother and I have a PS3, he REALLY enjoys making games, so I at least know that I will like the game. :)

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Accessing the XMB ingame is much more smoother than before also they change the platinum trophy.

Sony also said that some administrative files of the HDD was the cause of the 2.4 hiccup...no reports of 2.41 bricking things yet;)

Bless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.