Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BGBUXA

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Hey Guys, I tried upgrading my mac to High Sierra and I am getting this error. Any suggestions on what may be the cause? I am running Sierra right now.

2247e9c598c7618bc5dfd8052cf247e1.png

Jimmyone

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2017
i have the same exact problem from beta versions of high sierra since the official on a late 2009 iMac. Cannot install high sierra. First time all these years i face that

Reactions: Gangsterblast5

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
I have the exact same issue on my 2011 MBP. I had replaced my HDD years ago and I had cloned my original drive, someone suggested to me this may be the issue, does that sound likely?

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland
I got that for the GM candidate. The problem turned out to be a corrupted EFI partition. It's an MS-DOS formatted little slice that's needed when updating the computer firmware. If the update fails, the installer won't proceed.

I booted inoto rescue mode, checked the partitions with "diskutil list" and "verifydisk" (terminal), and fixed the EFI partition. "diskutil repairdisk <your EFI disk/partition>".

You can find more details of the error in the ia.log file, in the installation directory. Look for lines related to firmware, it might refer to inability to mount the MS-DOS EFI partition. That's what I had. But I don't have the logs anymore.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It's apparently related to some third-party drives. If you still have the original drive then you can install to that, then put your third-party one back in and install again (the firmware is already updated so it'll work the second time).

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland
Folks, you can try this even without rescue mode in terminal: "diskutil verifydisk disk0". Should work with those Macs with just one SSD inside. If you've got a more complex machine, check the location of the EFI partition with "diskutil list" first. Could be disk1 as well.

It's going to check your disk, where the EFI partition lies. Takes a few seconds. Like noted, I had this issue, and it was a problem with that little partition that's needed for firmware update. Macbook 12" 2017.

If you get this, then the partition is OK:

user@mac : diskutil verifydisk disk0
Started partition map verification on disk0
Checking prerequisites
Checking the partition list
Checking the partition map size
Checking for an EFI system partition
Checking the EFI system partition's size
Checking the EFI system partition's file system
Checking the EFI system partition's folder content
Checking all HFS data partition loader spaces
Checking booter partitions
Checking Core Storage Physical Volume partitions
The partition map appears to be OK
Finished partition map verification on disk0

If yours is not OK "diskutil repairdisk disk0" in Rescue Mode terminal (boot with CMD-R) fixes it. This shouldn't be too dangerous of a fix, but of course do have a backup first.

dontworry

Suspended
Mar 18, 2010
same error here. mid-2010 15" MBP with Crucial SSD
I "fixed" it somehow and got High Sierra working last night.
  • went to disk utility and ran first aid, got a message saying there was an error.
  • rebooted into recovery mode and ran first aid in disk utility.
  • the same error message did not pop-up
  • ok???
  • rebooted back into regular mode and ran first aid again.
  • no errors this time
  • reopened HS installer and after 30 minutes it was done and working.
I don't know what I did but it seems to have worked, maybe the first aid in recovery mode just fixed it without telling me.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Hey Guys, I tried upgrading my mac to High Sierra and I am getting this error. Any suggestions on what may be the cause? I am running Sierra right now.
If you can, try to unplug all external (USB) devices. That appears to have helped in my case.

Smallcastler

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
Hi there, what worked for me was to restart in Safe Mode (Hold Shift while restarting) and then run the app upgrade.

The OS was somewhat slow in Safe Boot but the upgrade went smooth (approx 40min) from the app store. Also AFPS file system was installed on the system disk, whereas Bootcamp partition (NTFS) on the same disk was kept intact as well as ExFAT file system on my other SSD.

Works fine so far (48hrs of testing), earlier installation of Windows10 is booting also flawlessly from Bootcamp.

MBP 15" mid-2010 Samsung SSD and Optibay (Kingston SSD)

hope it helped

Jimmyone

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2017
Not even in safe mode the installation finished, not errors with disk utility or via terminal (not SSD). All seem to work ok except verification of firmware during installation. I give up for now since my next shot is clean install

BGBUXA

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
So I took someone's advice and ran first aid in disk utility, once that was finished I received no errors, and then tried installing High Sierra with success. Good Stuff!

DudeLA

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2017
Solved :)
Had the same issue. Tried many times. I do have the latest firmware so I don't know why it would do that.

I fixed it by throwing away the High Sierra installer in the applications folder. I then reinstalled Sierra using a USB thumbdrive installer.
Then after it started up I opened the app store to update to the latest version of Sierra. Then I downloaded High Sierra from the app store. When it came up I quit the installer and then shut down the mac. Then restart the mac and immediately hold down the shift key to boot into safe boot keep holding down the shift key and let go when progress bar is near the end. After it restarts the computer will show safe boot on the screen somewhere. The screen may flicker a little when starting up. That's ok it's normal. Then go to the applications folder and find the high sierra installer and run it. It worked for me.

2247e9c598c7618bc5dfd8052cf247e1.png

Reactions: Ayuheart

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Not even in safe mode the installation finished, not errors with disk utility or via terminal (not SSD). All seem to work ok except verification of firmware during installation. I give up for now since my next shot is clean install

I am in the same situation. This is the only time I have ever had issue with Apple. 2 MacBooks upgraded fine, but this iMac 2017 is big trouble.

I really dont want to do a full clean install as is a work machine, and hopefully Apple will find a solution to this, so I will wait a bit.

Reactions: Jimmyone

dudemanla

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2009
Check out my post below DudeLA
I don’t know if it will work for you but it worked for me
i have the same exact problem from beta versions of high sierra since the official on a late 2009 iMac. Cannot install high sierra. First time all these years i face that

Reactions: Jimmyone

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
I ran into the same issue last night on my genuine MacBook 12" 2016. There was a problem that might have triggered this error. My guess is I had a firmware password set and didn't disable it prior to installation, thus EFI update couldn't work. High Sierra performs an EFI update to enable APFS

I did a clean install anyway so I formatted my SSD to HFS+ journaled. Then ran High Sierra installer from USB-drive. The first attempt failed and produced the same error the OP had above.

This was my approach.

1. Make sure you have firmware password disabled.
2. Use MacOS Sierra 10.12.x (or earlier?) recovery/install USB-drive.
3. Boot from Sierra Recovery (hold Option-Key after reboot)
4. Open Disk Utility, format entire SSD to HFS journaled, run first aid. Shutdown Mac.
5. Reset NVRAM and SMC
6. Install High Sierra from USB-drive again. If you get the error again (I did), abort and shutdown.
7. Boot from Recovery on your SSD. High Sierra should have installed it. (Hold Command-R after reboot)
8. Open Disk Utility and format entire SSD again to HFS+ journaled.
9. Reboot. Your Mac is bricked now.
10. Boot from Sierra 10.12.x Recovery USB drive
11. Open Disk Utility and NOW you should see an EFI partition which is unmounted (was in my case).
12. Mount the EFI partition. The EFI partition will disappear. Format SSD again to HFS journaled
13. Install High Sierra from USB-drive. This time it should work.

What a hilarious nightmare... Thanks Apple!

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I ran into the same issue last night on my genuine MacBook 12" 2016. There was a problem that might have triggered this error. My guess is I had a firmware password set and didn't disable it prior to installation, thus EFI update couldn't work. High Sierra performs an EFI update to enable APFS

I did a clean install anyway so I formatted my SSD to HFS+ journaled. Then ran High Sierra installer from USB-drive. The first attempt failed and produced the same error the OP had above.

This was my approach.

1. Make sure you have firmware password disabled.
2. Use MacOS Sierra 10.12.x (or earlier?) recovery/install USB-drive.
3. Boot from Sierra Recovery (hold Option-Key after reboot)
4. Open Disk Utility, format entire SSD to HFS journaled, run first aid. Shutdown Mac.
5. Reset NVRAM and SMC
6. Install High Sierra from USB-drive again. If you get the error again (I did), abort and shutdown.
7. Boot from Recovery on your SSD. High Sierra should have installed it. (Hold Command-R after reboot)
8. Open Disk Utility and format entire SSD again to HFS+ journaled.
9. Reboot. Your Mac is bricked now.
10. Boot from Sierra 10.12.x Recovery USB drive
11. Open Disk Utility and NOW you should see an EFI partition which is unmounted (was in my case).
12. Mount the EFI partition. The EFI partition will disappear. Format SSD again to HFS journaled
13. Install High Sierra from USB-drive. This time it should work.

What a hilarious nightmare... Thanks Apple!

nightmare indeed. I dont understand how Apple could have messed this up so much with all the Beta testers etc.
Anyway, I will wait as I am not doing what you did..... no time for that fun anymore.

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Texas
Count me in with this problem on a MacBook Air that boots off external usb thumb drive.

High Sierra installer hosed Sierra so I had to reformat and run internet recovery to...Mavericks! WTH!

Looks like El Cap is in my purchase history on the MAS, so will try to upgrade back up to that.

Why is Sierra not available in the MAS?

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
I can't seem to get firmware validated on my 2010 MBP with a samsung SSD boot drive as disk0 and the original old 500GB in the DVD bay as disk1....

'Partition map appears to be OK'...

Have tried disk util from the installer, have tried safe mode... no luck...

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Texas
Best I could do was get my Air back up to El Cap as that is the latest OS available on the MAS (other than High Sierra). I still don't understand the logic of pulling Sierra from the MAS.

alexios_ii_komnenos

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2017
I have the same problem and tried everything you guys recommended and still have nothing. I have a Mac Book Pro 9 from mid-2012, and an external 1TB WD Passport Hard Drive, and no original hard drive since it died a couple months ago. I tried fishing it out but the screws on the case were stripped to hell, hence the external hard drive. I'm running on Mountain Lion but before I got this external hard drive I was running Sierra via a thumbstick USB drive. That drive broke, after 2 weeks, since I got it from walmart.

Possibly related is I have two updates queued; one a security update to the EFI and another is Macbook Pro Firmware Update 2.9. Every time I install them and restart they show up in the app store as if I never even downloaded them. Anybody in a situation similar to mine find a solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.