First 1000 days of my Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by flynz4, Jan 18, 2018.

1. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The Apple Watch was first introduced to the public on April 24, 2015. I picked mine up that day, and set-up the watch that evening. Beginning the next morning, on April 25, 2015, I have closed all three of my circles every day.

Today I received my 1000 day move goal reward. Of course, my "Longest Move Streak" is also 1000 days.

Who else has hit the 1000 day move goal?

/Jim

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

3. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

That's really quite wicked!

Since you're clearly an experienced user of the Watch though, I've got a question. You see, a part of my brain is saying I want an Apple Watch because it's cool... But I've never liked wearing watches and I can't really see any use case for me with the Watch. I don't plan on doing any extra exercise, and aside from perhaps following the stand up recommendation, all the fitness stuff isn't something I give a rat about. So is there anything left that'd be of any use?

4. KrisLord macrumors 68000

Want to say “meh who cares!” but in reality that’s me being jealous!

Congrats that’s some serious commitment!

5. vespagirl macrumors regular

vespagirl

Congratulations on that achievement! Impressive, sir!

Casperes1996 - I thought the same thing, what else would I use it for, until I got one. It's the first thing I put on in the morning and the last thing I take off at night. It's not just about the fitness features. The overall convenience of not having to look at my phone in a multitude of situations is worth the price, IMO.

6. Julien, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018

Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I have also, although beta testing iOS9 had an iTunes backup bug and I had to do a restore and lost about 37 days so I have a few more days before I actually get it. Here is my info Apple lost.

IMG_4106.jpg

EDIT: 38 days. Just noticed it says how many.

IMG_4107.jpg

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Holy crap dude! Nice work! I personally just hit the 365 mark.

8. Jayne Doe macrumors member

Got my 1K trophy this morning. Got a new band to celebrate. But it wasn't easy. I had my SO replaced FOUR times. Each time, Apple worked to get it back to me ASAP. My problem was the glued on back for three of the returns and a battery swelling for the fourth. Thanks to express returns, a trip to the Apple store and the techs determined not to give me a day off, it's done. Go us! Now what?

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

They should include 2k challenges (yes, that stands for ~5.5 years). That should make a difference in several people's active lifestyle.

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I am impressed. Congratulations to all of you who have achieved or are close to it.

11. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Interesting. But if it's just for seeing your notifications and such, I still don't think I see the appeal. My phone is in my front pocket, I don't have FOMO and it doesn't take that long to look. And if I actually want to read a text or whatever, surely it'd get a bit annpoying on that small a screen?

12. McScooby macrumors 6502a

Notifications, ie do u need to get the iphone out the pocket to answer the call you wouldn't anyway & :apple:Pay.

13. MickeyVee macrumors member

MickeyVee

Congrats!!!
    I was hoping to get to my 1000 in a row but had to go into surgery at day 921 which killed my streak. I should get there soon.

14. flynz4, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018

flynz4 thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks you for all of the congratulations... and my congratulations to Jayne Doe as well.

Regarding the usefulness of the Apple Watch... I have found it much more useful than I anticipated. I think Apple nailed the UI... it compliments the phone very well.

Regarding reaching the 1000 day streak since day 1... One word... Fear! Extreme fear of Siri. She can see my exercise, and she can control my calendar. I'm afraid if I miss a single circle, she will start cancelling important biz meetings and scheduling me in at the gym instead. ;)

Here are my awards for 1000 moves... and for a 1000 streak:

IMG_3325.PNG IMG_3328.PNG

/Jim

15. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Sadly, I don't have access to Pay. It has come to Denmark alright, but only to a single bank, and I'm not switching bank just for that. And we already have pretty decent mobile payment services, like Mobile Pay. Of course not quite as quick an experience, but it's pretty good nonetheless. Scan a QR-code, touchID, done. Or if you want to send to someone else, phone number (or name if you have them in your contacts), slide, done. I don't know if it's got an Apple Watch app though.

With respect to notifications, I just can't really see which notifications I'd simultaneously care enough about to wawnt to see, and care little enough about that I wouldn't want to interact with on a larger display. A call, sure, but then you're standing there in the middle of the room shouting at your wrist like a tosser. That doesn't seem that good.

16. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

For me, I only have the watch give notifications that I really want to see -- text messages (which aren't frequent in my circle of family and friends), phone calls, emails from my VIP list, and a couple other things (favorite teams' sports scores, etc). I can still go to my phone for more stuff, and the watch is reserved for the items that I want to know right away.

Shouting at the watch while standing in the middle of the room? Nah. I admit that I've taken calls while walking a few times and talked to my wrist, but they were brief. But I've taken more calls via the watch at home while I'm sitting at the computer or working in the kitchen (and a couple times while in the shower!), plus a number of times while driving in my pre-bluetooth car. It's pretty handy to be able to carry on a conversation without also carrying around a phone (and I don't have to wear an earpiece all day, either).

When I bought my AW in late 2015, I wasn't yet totally sold on it -- it was more of a "maybe". When I got around to using it, though, I stopped trying to use it as if it were a smartphone (you don't try using a smartphone as if it were a desktop, do you?) and started letting it do its thing as a smartwatch. That's when I started to understand its role better, and I became satisfied with what it actually does instead of being disappointed about what I thought it should do.

17. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

I get the appeal of all this, but I think the conclusion really is that it would be a bit of a waste of money for me.

18. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

That's fine.

19. McScooby macrumors 6502a

Fair enough on :apple:Pay, if one bank has it the others will follow, 12mths max, but as for the call - you miss the point! I don't answer on the watch, only ever done that once or twice in its lifetime, it's whether it's worth the hassle of getting the phone out the pocket, stopping what you're doing if you're busy, or just terminating the call on the watch. If in a meeting / at the cinema / theatre & a message comes in rather than digging out the phone & lighting up the place / make it obvious what you're doing, who's the tosser in that scenario?:p

20. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Don't think it'll be as quick as 12 months, but yeah, eventually the others probably will get Apple Pay too. Then again, MobilePay is quite good and integrated in all shops already, so Mobile Pay might fail here, since it came so late to the game in Denmark. And with CoreNFC, Mobile Pay will be able to use the NFC chip Apple Pay does as well.

With respect to the ringer, yeah, you're right. I did in fact misunderstand. It does seem a bit more useful when put in that light, but a circumstance I very rarely find myself in regardless :)

21. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

I will hit my 1,000 goal in 5 days. I am excited!

22. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I'm curious if you ever crossed the International Date Line during your streak. If so, how did you configure your watch to keep the streak alive. I cross the IDL about four times a year, and each time it puts an end to my current streak due to the watch being confused as to what day it is.

23. dadiy macrumors member

dadiy

24. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Well that's ******. If you manually changed the date, do you think you could also trick it in such a way that you could (in theory) get the 1000 days reward in just 42 hours?

25. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I’ve got a ways to go (since Aug 2015). My current desk job isn’t helping much, but that’s not really an excuse, either — I always meet my Move goal if I work out.

[​IMG]