Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEugene

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2006
AZ
ddrueckhammer said:
Ha! You might as well carry around a 20" iMac in a suitcase.
That's what I was thinking.

It's good to hear that the reviews have been favoring more positive towards the larger MBP.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Brad Raple said:
When I was complaining about the heat of my MBP15, the Apple Tech about snorted coffee from his nose when I had the audacity to refer to it as a "laptop." He told me Apple hasn't made a computer that was designed to be used on your lap since the first Titanium Powerbooks. :mad:

Whatever. I've had at least 6 Apple "Portables" and didn't have any problems putting THEM on my lap.

The 1ghz G4 would burn your freakin legs off!

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
19" Battery Life

Did anyone else notice the fact that the 19" laptops were lasting anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes on a full charge? I would think most people are turned off by that.

And I love it how after a year the charge will probably last 15 minutes and you'll have to spend more $$ for a new battery.

After two years my 12" Powerbook original battery still gets 2:30. Fo shizzle.

KaiMac

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2004
Va
midwestshooter said:
No! They will NOT work on airplanes - they blow the fuse.

Why go from 12 volts to 120 volts wih an inverter - and then back to low voltage DC with the Apple power brick? The second law of thermodynamics will win every time!

Apple dropped the ball here!

Dick

http://www.naturephotostudio.com

Wow, this is the first I have heard of this important problem. Thanks for pointing it out to another photographer who needs to travel with the laptop in the car quite a bit.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
bretm said:
The 1ghz G4 would burn your freakin legs off!

MY 17" 1.33 Ghz G4 doesn't burn my legs off. Does it get warm? Yes. Hot? No.

Altough I love my 17" and would replace it, a 19" is just way too big.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
midwestshooter said:
I would love to get the new 17" MacBook Pro - or even the 15" version - but I will NOT order one until Apple lets 3rd parties (like iGo) make a power adapter for the MacBook Pro series. The MagSafe can NOT be used from a 12 volt source at present.

What makes you think Apple isn't letting third parties do this?

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
sunfast said:
Would anybody here seriously buy a 19" MBP if one existed? I wouldn't even buy a 17" :eek:

Well I think people are crazy for buying a 15". You either need portability or power. But everyone saying 15" is 'just right' is probably the same reason silver is the most popular car color. People can't make up their minds so they go with an average.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
midwestshooter said:
Can you find one?

It so, I'll buy it.

Dick

there's a big difference between apple not letting them do it, and the 3rd parties having not gotten around to doing it yet. the mbp is still a pretty new machine.

philbeeney

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Vankleek Hill
sunfast said:
Would anybody here seriously buy a 19" MBP if one existed? I wouldn't even buy a 17" :eek:

Absolutely.!!! In fact the bigger the better.

I have a 17" G4 PowerBook with all the trimmings and for 95% of the time it sits at home as a desktop. I've got a Brenthaven back pack to carry it around in when I need to go somewhere with it, so there's no inconvenience whatsoever. It's a case of what suits your needs. A desktop doesn't suit my needs, as I need the occasional portability.

I'd love to see Apple produce a Quad Core 20" (or bigger) MacBook Pro maxed out with all the options. Yes, it may be more expensive than a normal laptop, but I'm willing to pony up the extra cash for it. Now that you can dual boot Windows XP, imagine how many gamers would prefer to show up at a LAN party sporting a cool looking MacBook Pro.

Antares

macrumors 68000
Macrumors said:
While a 17" screen on a laptop may still seem luxurious, Maccentral reports from E3 that 19" laptops are a growing trend.

Yep, I'll be in the market for a MacBook Pro in the future...but can't wait to see the eventual 30" models. Anyway, I wonder when Apple will start producing 19inchers. Hmm, I remember when when everybody was awed by the screen size of my now lowly 14" PowerBook G3.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
midwestshooter said:
Can you find one?

It so, I'll buy it.

Dick

Give it time. There were adaptors for the old custom Apple plugs, so it is safe to assume there will be for the current generation.

But you are correct that it is inconvenient today.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
19" is too big for me, but isn't it obvious that everyone has different needs?

A 19" MacBook would not surprise me. Call it a portable desktop if you want--it doesn't serve the SAME purpose as a 13" or 15" or even 17".... it serves a DIFFERENT purpose.

And if you think you can't carry a 19" laptop, just try carrying a 15" Dell :p I could NOT believe how thick and massive my uncle's was--and it's a recent model. It was not portable by MY standards! Then I saw the massive power brick and my jaw dropped.

We take thin and light computing for granted as Mac users, maybe. Even with Core, somehow PC companies find it hard to cram as many features into something as thin as a MacBook. But Core will certainly help them.

Point is, you CAN transport even a 15" Dell if you use both hands--same goes for 19".

imikem

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2005
Frozen tundra of MN
Thinking different

It seems to me that a more effective long term approach to this would be to create some sort of dockable/detachable display. Then you could buy a little box with the guts in it, e.g., CPU, HD, keyboard, etc. To go along with it, you'd have your choice of a small/light display ~12 inches, and larger/heavier 17/19/whatever inches. You could buy one of each and be equally happy at home/office or on road/tight quarters. Maybe you could use both at the same time with AC power at hand.

Apple then need only develop a single mobile case, and monitors would be interchangeable and upgradeable when the next generation came along, or the number of stuck pixels got too annoying. Or the CPU unit could be upgraded separately.

Go ahead now and flame away at my stupid idea... :rolleyes:

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
nagromme said:
A 19" MacBook would not surprise me. Call it a portable desktop if you want--.

A portable? Haven't we seen this before?

portable.jpg

PowerPointSamur

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2006
Got Mine Yesterday!

I got mine yesterday and started setting it up last night. It's awesome! My only complaint so far is that it is not a sit-in-your-underwear computer...it burned my legs.

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
Check out this comparison to a 2.7GHz dual G5 PM

from xlr8yourmac.com

" Hi Mike, Just an update on my new 17" MBP 2GB 7200 100GB that came via FedEx this morning. First things first. Mac OS X performance and apps. Oh boy is this thing fast. My main computer is a G5 Dual 2.7GHz with 8GB ram and will be used as the comparison to the 17MBP.
Boot time to desktop:
Dual 2.7GHz G5: 36 sec
MacBook Pro 17inch: 8-11 sec (not a typo)

iDVD 30 min DV to DVD and burn:
Dual 2.7GHz G5: 36 min
MacBook Pro 17inch: 39 min

1080P trailer playback 3 movies simultaneous 24 FPS:
Dual 2.7GHz G5: 18 FPS
MacBook Pro 17inch: 10.4 FPS (QT crashed twice, but ran the 3rd time).

MS Word load 4000 pg document with photos 170MB: Dual 2.7GHz G5: 19.4 sec
MacBook Pro 17inch: 32 sec

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
ImAlwaysRight said:
from xlr8yourmac.com

Okay, this sold me. I just placed the order for the exact same specs. I'm trying not to let the sticker shock kill me (over $3000). But damn... that's an awesome report. Please someone do tell me though, it will at least be top of the line for, oh, 5 months won't it? Because it would really suck if they replaced it in August or something.

Anyhow, I'm not sure how it could get much better then the report above.

Mine is supposed to arrive on April 25th.

And the waiting begins! :)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
get ready to be sucked

okwhatev said:
Because it would really suck if they replaced it in August or something.!
The faster 64-bit Merom chips will be out in August, so get ready to be sucked.

okwhatev said:
Mine is supposed to arrive on April 25th.
So, how's it been the last two weeks?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.