Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Im excited about this update, This will allow me to finally download watch faces for my Huawai watch from 3rd party like its allowed to do when paired with a Android phone.

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
Oh, I know. Far to long I have watched it and not just from him but a few others as well. I have ignored them all at this point. Makes life much more nice.
I actually think it's hilarious mate, it's obviously a spoof account, let's call it an anti troll lol, no one and I mean no one can be that passionate about an anonymous company unless you are on the board earning millions from them.

kdarling

macrumors P6
You happy sacrificing screen space just to have it round? No thanks.

It works the other way too. If you're displaying something round, then the square screen wastes space. SO WHAT.

apple-contacts.jpg

Also, it's already been pointed out that the smaller Apple Watch sacrifices screen space compared to its larger brother. Yet millions of people bought them anyway. The amount of visible text is NOT A FACTOR IN REAL LIFE.

apple-moto-bezels.png

Moreover, the size of the bezel is just as important as the shape. And the front of the Apple Watch is over 50% bezel. It's just hidden by all that strategically placed black.

display-body-ratio2.jpg

Last edited:

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
These posts are hilarious. If a forum could be diagnosed with bi-polar disorder, this would be the one. On one hand you have the "fire timmy" crowd (fired up by new reports of absolutely pathetic battery life on brand new multi-thousand dollar computers, stale design [except for retail storefronts of course], a mac pro which hasn't been updated in >1000 days [lololol], a thick square overpriced iwatch which barely justifies the upgrade, and old overpriced desktop imacs still up for sale) and on the other hand you have these zealots, frothing at the mouth to empty their wallets at the hint of the next lackluster refresh. It truly is fun to come here for the comments. It's like watching children fight over old toys. :p

Or a load of old chat bots targeting certain words.....

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I've had the Moto360 and Samsung Gear S2 and must say, round smartwatches are awful

I just looked at the current SamsungS3 offerings, and I have to say I much prefer them to the Apple Watch design. The display is bigger and brighter, and the rotating digital bezel is much more practical and useable for me than the Digital Crown. It's the OS that's a letdown. I was also surprised how nice it looked on my wrist. Given I had a hard time choosing between the 38 & 42mm Apple Watch because the 42mm looked so large on my wrist, I thought the S3 would look ridiculous. Instead it actually looks normal compared to the 42mm Apple Watch. It's a dunce piece of hardware. Apple could do much worse than to introduce a round variant.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Nobody wants a round Apple Watch. The current design is pure perfection.

Speak for yourself. I have an Apple Watch and a S2 Classic, the S2 Classic is much more enjoyable to wear. I've tried out Samsung's Gear Manager Beta on my iPhone, it's not ready for everyday usage yet, but once Samsung pushes out the final software, I'll be wearing the S2 or S3(if I upgrade) more than the Apple Watch when using the iPhone.
[doublepost=1482546965][/doublepost]
I just looked at the current SamsungS3 offerings, and I have to say I much prefer them to the Apple Watch design. The display is bigger and brighter, and the rotating digital bezel is much more practical and useable for me than the Digital Crown. It's the OS that's a letdown. I was also surprised how nice it looked on my wrist. Given I had a hard time choosing between the 38 & 42mm Apple Watch because the 42mm looked so large on my wrist, I thought the S3 would look ridiculous. Instead it actually looks normal compared to the 42mm Apple Watch. It's a dunce piece of hardware. Apple could do much worse than to introduce a round variant.

The OS itself isn't bad on the S3, it's the app integration that's bad. But even on my Apple Watch, I rarely use most of the integrated apps on it. Plus Apple really needs to open up 3rd party watch faces.

TechGeek76

Suspended
Jul 18, 2016
I actually think it's hilarious mate, it's obviously a spoof account, let's call it an anti troll lol, no one and I mean no one can be that passionate about an anonymous company unless you are on the board earning millions from them.
I'm not so sure it's a spoof account, I have come across many people across many forums like this. Some might be trolling but I honestly believe that a majority of them actually believe the crap they type daily.

kdarling

macrumors P6
In the quote above there is no confirmation of this:

Oh, I thought you meant we didn't know why Ive went with square instead of round.

Instead, you meant why do I call it a "safe" design. Well, reverse the question: tell us what about the design was NOT safe :)

People were expecting anything from round to amulet to fantastical shapes. What we got was the same old boring shape that Ive sticks to. I call that being safe.

Yeah but the article referred to something else, which you left out:

"The shape of the body, meanwhile, barely changed: a rectangle with rounded corners. “When a huge part of the function is lists”—of names, or appointments—“a circle doesn’t make any sense,” Ive said. Its final form resembles one of Newson’s watches, and the Cartier Santos, from 1904."

That last sentence was not said by Ive. It was the reporter repeating what he'd read on fansites. It doesn't look like a Santos, except for being rectangular.

However, yes , the back, the bands, and even the Sports box and band slip holders, are all Marc Newson designs dating from his Ikepod days.

Ikepod-strap-Comparison.jpg

ikepod_watchcase2.png

The Digital Crown and even the dot on the Edition are Braun items.

crown-dot.jpg

But the upper shape is clearly Ive, as shown in this previous photo comparison .

Apple-Watch-original-iPhone.jpg

Everything about a rounded silver rectangle with a black front seems like a "safe" (and repetitive for Apple) decision. It sure doesn't show Ive taking a chance on a radically new design. To be charitable, we can say that it's following the same Apple design language of the past decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alch3mist

scm6079

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
You do know that Samsung has iOS software for these and that at least Gear 3 works perfectly fine with the iPhone? Not that anyone would care as nobody cares about smart watches in general. Just saying.

Actually, I didn't... their website still shows iOS as not compatible, and even most android as not supporting calls, email, wifi sync, and messaging. I thought it would only operate as a dumb notification system like the $19 junk watches on iOS. http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/gear-s3/

I've seen rumors of iOS support coming, but never saw it out. I searched the App Store for an app just now, but didn't find one. Where can I find this software?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Actually, I didn't... their website still shows iOS as not compatible, and even most android as not supporting calls, email, wifi sync, and messaging. I thought it would only operate as a dumb notification system like the $19 junk watches on iOS. http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/gear-s3/

I've seen rumors of iOS support coming, but never saw it out. I searched the App Store for an app just now, but didn't find one. Where can I find this software?

The Samsung Gear app is still in Beta.

Reactions: scm6079

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Speak for yourself. I have an Apple Watch and a S2 Classic, the S2 Classic is much more enjoyable to wear. I've tried out Samsung's Gear Manager Beta on my iPhone, it's not ready for everyday usage yet, but once Samsung pushes out the final software, I'll be wearing the S2 or S3(if I upgrade) more than the Apple Watch when using the iPhone.
[doublepost=1482546965][/doublepost]

The OS itself isn't bad on the S3, it's the app integration that's bad. But even on my Apple Watch, I rarely use most of the integrated apps on it. Plus Apple really needs to open up 3rd party watch faces.

Speaking of watch faces, I did like many of the ones one the S3. I was particualrly impressed with one of the skuomorphic faces with a brushed metal background that appeared to reflect light differently as the watch was tilted. I'm not really into that style, and though the rest of the render could have looked better, that effect alone added quite a bit of realism to it. From a distance in good light, someone might not realize it wasn't the real deal.

It's frustrating Apple hasn't opened it up more. Perhaps they hoped to capitalize on more specialized editions like the Hermes and make it a unique feature. Whatever the case, I really don't get the criticism by others who often bring up some of these poorly implemented skuomorphic designs, which are somebody's personal choice, as a reason for Apple not to make round watches.

I must say I didn't really care for the Samsung reps snarky attitude toward Apple when he found out I had an iPhone, and that would have cost him a sale had I been in the market for a smart watch, as I otherwise liked the S3.

The Apple Watch for me is purely functional. I do not wear it in work environments or social functions. I use it specifically for surfing, and fitness. I love that it has Apple Pay and connects in areas where I've previously established wifi, so I don't have to carry my phone. The Samsung has a long way to go to compete with that, but it's also phone independent in the US. I would seriously consider wearing it at work, or at social functions, where I wouldn't even consider wearing the Apple Watch. I'm still not sold on wearing watches again, but the S3 would get me to do it a lot more than the Apple Watch, especially if it had the same tight Apple ecosystem integration.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Nobody wants a round Apple Watch. The current design is pure perfection.

By nobody you mean you right? And the current design being pure perfection you mean to you right?

Galaxy gear s3 in my opinion looks way better than the Apple Watch. That said I do use an Apple Watch since looks aside I think it currently provides the best overall experience.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Absolutely, android wearables have failed due to round design.

Not really. I quite like how my Huawei Watch looks and I also like how it can always show the time, but still I prefer my Apple Watch for the overall functionality.

EDIT: In addition, there are also square Android Wear devices, but round ones have been much more popular.

lucascampelo

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2011
OTOH, Apple tightly controls the faces you can put on there, and they all have to be black because of that thick black dead area around the screen.

They are not black because of the bezel. They are black because black consumes less power on OLED screens, and they need to save any power they can on such a small device.

The bezel is black BECAUSE of the interface, not the other way around.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The only time when I want a watch is when I can't have a phone on me such as going to the beach with shorts and no pockets or dance studio. Therefore, it needs to operate untethered from phone with built in cellular for calls and messaging. Also, electronic payment makes more sense on a watch since it's secured to wrist versus fumbling around with phone that's more awkward and easier to drop and MST is more likely to work everywhere than just MFC. The only device that fits the bill is Gear S3 Frontier and it doesn't look like a geek Casio calculator watch from the 1980s.

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
Whys the OS a let down, tizen works brilliantly on the s2, does all you need. Don't be caught up in thinking u need 20k apps, outside of the 20 regular ones, I can't think of anything I'm missing out on.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
These posts are hilarious. If a forum could be diagnosed with bi-polar disorder, this would be the one. On one hand you have the "fire timmy" crowd (fired up by new reports of absolutely pathetic battery life on brand new multi-thousand dollar computers, stale design [except for retail storefronts of course], a mac pro which hasn't been updated in >1000 days [lololol], a thick square overpriced iwatch which barely justifies the upgrade, and old overpriced desktop imacs still up for sale) and on the other hand you have these zealots, frothing at the mouth to empty their wallets at the hint of the next lackluster refresh. It truly is fun to come here for the comments. It's like watching children fight over old toys. :p

Notice that my signature states I am still running on a 2015 box of cheezit crackers? I'm several models behind without any plans to upgrade any time soon...

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
Have Android watches fixed the flat tire issue yet? Serious question.

The "flat tire" is not a function of Android watches. it is a function of wanting a bezel-less round watch. There needs to be space for the sensors. Some Android Wear round watches have fixed it with a thicker bezel. Square watches fix it by not making an edge-to-edge display.

The reason the Apple watch looks the way it does is because the sensor is behind the angled part of the display. A flat face would leave a non-display edge. Either all around, to center the display, or at least at the top or bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.