First Bioshock 2 Reviews are coming in

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

And they are mainly positive. Seems like a solid, albeit uninspired, sequel. Nothing radically new, but what is there is still great.

Seeing how I just finished Bioshock an hour ago (finally!) , I can wait a little while before I go back to Rapture. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but a break from Rapture will be good. I'll probably pick it up later this year in the bargain bin.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Did you play it both ways?

3. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, only the "good" way, saved all the little sisters.

I have to say, the ending was a little....short.

Is it worth it to replay and harvest them? If it's just a different 30 second ending sequence, I may not bother. :confused:

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I liked the first one but I think I had enough of Rapture, there doesnt seem to be much else to experience, its not that big of a world.

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'll wait too. Wasn't keen on the first one and had to drag my way to my current location. I'll get it when it hits £3 in the Steam sale though.
    A side note - I don't get how all these new mini-sequels are all okay to people, but when L4D2 did it people screamed that it should be DLC! People!

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm glad they didn't change much of the formula and just tweaked it a bit. They can keep the multiplayer though...I'm not looking forward to it at all.

I really wish these reviewers would stay on course though...if this wasn't a hyped up game it would of gotten a lower score because theres nothing new. Too much flip flopping for me with these "professional reviewers"

Bless

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'll probably end up getting it.....

Nice to see they have brought the ps3 version up to par with the 360 this time. 2KMarlin deserve a mention of that seeing as though the original port wasn't so great.

(Bioshock port ran at 640p, had poorer frame rate, worse textures on the big daddies and had the blur/vaseline filter applied to 'improve' things).

I got the good ending on the original, and remember the last couple of hours of the original - heck the second half of the original began to grate on my nerves a bit. Repetition kicked in a lot, Plasmids were ineffective and you ended up only using the same couple over and over again.

Also Rapture as great as a venue to be in - after the first hour or two, it's just repetitious area's that lacked anything new to see the further you got.

The story and twists were good though and that's what I ended up finishing for, and that's probably why I'll buy the sequel.

Multi-player seems like a pointless waste.

10. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I will try to pick it up at the end of the week when I get paid. I really loved Bioshock; the atmosphere and setting really pulled me in. Hoping for a good sequel for the second one!

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My confession: I never finished the original. The reason was although I view the level design and overall atmosphere brilliant, it was too oppressive for me to finish. The first chance some other game grabbed my attention, I was outta there. :)

12. pcypert macrumors 6502

That's a short attention span man... this game is in the single digits hour-wise for a playthrough. I don't have much time for gaming and Bioshock was a breeze to blast through.

I found the first one really well done. The atmosphere, story, etc. Lots of games for me are kind of guilty vices... I'm embarrassed if peers are in the room and I'm playing as the acting is cheesy, dialogue bad, etc (Bayonetta comes to mind :D ) but not so with Bioshock... can't wait for the sequel.

Paul

13. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I didn't finish it ether, but primarily because I had prior expectations of the game's name sake, which BioShuck didn't remotely live up to. So compared to what I had expected and what I got, I found the game overly repetitive and really just another FPS, when it should have been much MUCH more than just that. :mad: :eek:

I need to find a review written by a curmudgeon like me, that didn't like the first either. I don't trust any reviewer that A) uses only on gamepad, B) gave BioShock a rating higher than a B.

14. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I loved Bioshock, and will be picking this up at midnight tonight for PC. I have it on 360 (it hit NewsBin around 4 PM Saturday, had it burned by the end of the night), and I'm impressed thus far.

With my new XFX ATI Radeon HD 5750, this game should look great on my 32"er.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Saw my local games shop has it on special for the first week. Reduced from usual €55 to €40. Also 10% off for loyalty = €36...... Thats cheaper than I can buy it online, so I will end up buying this tomorrow.

16. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

Isn't it amazing how inexpensive games get if you just wait a bit?

I find (at least on PS3) that if you wait about 3 months, the game becomes $10 cheaper, then crossing 6 months it's half-price. During that time, the developer usually issues about 3 patches for stability/features, so generally you're getting a good finished project. Granted, I am not into any multiplayer games, so I guess popularity can wane, but I don't think I'll ever pay $60 for a brand new title!

17. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

The challenge rooms were fun (DLC).

18. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I'm getting this game today. I'm so excited. If I really like the single-player, I might renew my gold membership to Xbox Live to play some multi-player. :D

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Me too...yayy?

I haven't open it as yet but I'll get to it later today.

Bless

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Actually I think I was pretty close to the end. :)

22. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

LOL. I'm buying this game for one reason. It's a GFWL game that does not support the gamepad. :D

Maybe this will be like Shrek 2. I was disappointed by the first Shrek based on what I had seen from the previews, but I liked the second one, because I lowered my expectations so much and waited for it to come to HBO.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Really are you sure ? Strange the first did and the sequel would not?

First impressions....... its much like Bioshock ;)

Interestingly it runs at 1080p on the PS3 without having to de-select 720p ? Does that mean it's native ? Framerate is very good so far, however some textures look weak (like posters) until you get very close to them. Obviously a LOD balance.

24. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yep. Not in a million years would I have ever thought that this would've been the case, especially since it's GFWL. :eek: