Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Somehow, I've managed to accumulate the first three generations of Shuffle over the years. This is how I've thought of them:
  • First gen – Most iconic and could plug directly into your computer.
  • Second gen – Best form factor (area to left of navigation for your finger to open clip).
  • Third gen – Confusing as hell, but at least it had song information, I guess?
  • Fourth gen – Smallest design, buttons integrated again, plus song info. Bonza.
I always wished they made some combination of the first and fourth generations with an internal speaker too. The idea of being able to play music directly from an SD-card-sized device that needs no cables to plug into your computer still seems cool.

Low-res mockup of advertisement of said iPod that I made in 2009:

View attachment 815292

That's bonkers there is no way to fit a decent sounding speaker into a shuffle (which is still smaller in volume than an Apple Watch) and keep the battery life up.

NAStarr

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2016
After watching the advertisement in the post above I felt a nostalgia for the “old apple”.. the apple that was passionate, driven, curios and inventive. And I’m not saying apple isn’t all of those things now, I’m just saying they’ve lost their spark. They’re not driven by reaction, by love for music or by their desire to make something new. Everything they make is driven by a desire to be the “first” or the “best”... they don’t do thing “just cuz they can” anymore. Think of the shuffle. Was it practice? Not really. Was it functional? Barely. I mean, you couldn’t see your songs, you couldn’t pick a song, you couldn’t even tell what song was being played. Literally all it did was serve up one song after the next in whatever order it chose, then gave you the option to replay or skip. It wasn’t made to be the best music player, or the best media device. It was made out of pure love of music and the desire to make it available for everyone to share that love of music.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I still have my original iPod shuffle in my desk. I usually bring it when I go backpacking to listen to music instead of draining my phones battery. I love that it has the USB port built in, so slick and straight forward. After that they got complicated and required docks and adapters.

Reactions: zapmymac

gbc204

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2011
I just found two of my old shuffles. Have the first gen somewhere...
Oh, how I miss the days when you could use your iPod as USB storage.
[doublepost=1547230637][/doublepost]
I still have my original iPod shuffle in my desk. I usually bring it when I go backpacking to listen to music instead of draining my phones battery. I love that it has the USB port built in, so slick and straight forward. After that they got complicated and required docks and adapters.
The UBS was so simple. I had this one, and I also have the last one and the screen less one that clipped on which was the worst, because it had its own unique adapter cable. And no way in hell I'll ever find that thing now,

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
I use mine almost daily as well. My lanyard is yellowed but still functional as well :apple::)

My favorite is the 3rd gen though, I have two ( one died )

Last edited:

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I loved my first gen iPod Shuffle which replaced an iPod I had lost. It doubled as a USB stick for my school documents. The headphone jack eventually stopped working.

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
Somehow, I've managed to accumulate the first three generations of Shuffle over the years. This is how I've thought of them:
  • Second gen – Best form factor (area to left of navigation for your finger to open clip).
  • Fourth gen – Smallest design, buttons integrated again, plus song info. Bonza.
I always wished they made some combination of the first and fourth generations with an internal speaker too. The idea of being able to play music directly from an SD-card-sized device that needs no cables to plug into your computer still seems cool.

View attachment 815292

I like the 2nd over the 4th for the area for your thumb as well ✅

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I was gifted a 3rd generation shuffle but never really used it as I found it confusing and I had a 4th generation nano that I loved and used all the time (and going just a bit smaller didn't seem to be much benefit). I'd say 2nd & 4th generation shuffles were probably the best designs though.

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
8B3F8328-6C45-4B78-98B6-D5583042ECE9.jpeg
Ok, so I dug them out properly

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
The fourth gen was my favorite. I mostly listen to music while running, so clipped that tiny thing to my hat with my sport headphone cable mostly tied up next to it. So convenient. Now I use my Apple Watch and the Aftershokz wireless headphones. Ideal combo for running! IMO of course. :)

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
The 2nd and 4th gen were probably the best workout music devices I've ever owned. They were light and nearly indestructible. I could do bball shooting drills while wearing one. Bluetooth AirPods have replaced it in some scenarios.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I forgot that this even existed. The 2nd and 4th gens is what I always picture a shuffle being.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I always liked the fourth gen's. It would have been perfect if memory was not a limitation back then, just as a standard audio player It wasan't without it's problems, but so is everthing they came out after it... Now, you have a display, weather you wanna use it, or not.

AAC/MP3 only players are a dying breed. :( I

ashapiro

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2018
Man, it's remarkable to think that only the iPod touch remains, I'll bet it's not long for retirement either. End of an era I suppose.

Reactions: zapmymac

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006

View attachment 815292

I'm pretty sure the Sansa devices that SanDisk makes include a tinny speaker.

enkidoodler

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2018
I still have my first gen! Works great. My pre-teen lashed it up with a pair of headphones a while back. Now he just uses it when we won't let him use his phone. =P I'm looking at a fourth generation Shuffle right here! Needs a charging cable I think.

obiwan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
My son also turns 14 today. I'm not sure what's more difficult to comprehend - having a 14 year old son, or a 14 year old iPod shuffle that still works!!

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
The first gen shuffle was my first Apple device. Someone had gave it to me and I was in love with it’s simplicity immediately. After that a PowerBook and the rest is history.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
The first generation iPod shuffle was my very first iPod. I used it for years until the headphone jack stopped working 100% of the time, and the charger port started to come loose! Still works otherwise, as far as I know, but I took it out of regular use at that time because it was so fragile.

Now, I've got all of the different shuffles. I think I like the 4th generation the best from a usability standpoint, but I do miss using my 1st generation shuffle a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.