First-Generation iPod Shuffle Turns 14 Today

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2019.

1. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

From the watch? You want a headphone cable going to your wrist?

I had the first and last. I used the last until about a year ago, with Bluetooth headphones it made more sense to just use my watch in the gym.

2. imikem macrumors member

imikem

Already available. That's called an, "Android phone".

<ducks>

3. iTuna macrumors newbie

iTuna

The first one was the best of all of them, especially with the lanyard case. Ran 13 marathons with that shuffle.

4. audiophilosophy macrumors member

The 1st generation iPod shuffle is well known to be at the top of the list-- as far as sound quality is concerned-- amongst all of the devices Apple has ever put out that can play audio. It has superior sound quality to iPods, iPads, and iPhones. I know from experience. It sounds amazing. That said, it's not nearly as convenient.

5. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

These were simpler times when we were all so excited to get a new redesigned iPod and updates to iLife and iWork once a year a MacWorld.

6. brofkand macrumors 6502

That makes no sense, it's not even a good joke.

7. Mars56 Suspended

I liked mine, it was my first apple product. I quickly upgraded to the first Nano though. And liked that even more.

8. kentsydney macrumors regular

This was the Apple who I fell in love with . That love affair is rapidly coming to an end now

Steve Jobs influence and vision is sadly lacking

Thank goodness for Elon Musk

9. chublet macrumors member

It is a shame that the only way to listen to music on an Apple portable device now is either on an oversized phone or an iPod touch, both of which are too large physically for what you need, and also don't hold a big music library unless you go for an extremely expensive option where you pay FAR too much for the extra space.

Despite what tech companies seem to think, streaming is not an option on-the-go here in the UK, it may be fine when sitting at home but 3/4G coverage is so spotty I couldn't even drive from home to work, a journey of 6 miles in the South East of the UK, and listen to a track without it losing connection.

The iPod line, particularly the Classic and Nono, were great devices, it is a shame that have all gone...

10. pokeeto2 macrumors newbie

I still have my original 1GB iPod Shuffle. Haven’t used it since 09-2010 but it still works perfect. Played around with it 2 years ago for a bit and it still held a decent charge and worked perfectly

Attached Files:

11. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Back when Apple always made sure to have an affordable but still innovative low-end model in every lineup. Like the white MacBook, the iPhone SE or 5C, etc...

12. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

Streaming services allow you to download music though.

13. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

I remember when TiVo would offer them up as bonuses - you could redeem points for things like the Shuffle. I still have a couple TiVo-provided Shuffles around here somewhere (as well as a cheap TiVo-branded messenger bag :D).

I've got nothing against progress; but I do miss those days when tech companies seemed to have more personality (perhaps "quirkiness" would be a better term).

14. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Never owned an iPod shuffle but my first Apple device was an iPod mini. That’s where it all started for me.

It’s amazing how far we’ve come. I saw this picture the other day and even in this setup is somewhat outdated.

B705B1F9-C9E7-4A9A-B4F7-3164E65541C2.jpeg

15. Harlowgold1 macrumors regular

Harlowgold1

--- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2019 ---
    Laugh if you must, but they cut the life-cycle on this product too soon. I still miss having something lite on me when working out. This was a great product to dive into the Apple ecosystem.

16. nylonsteel macrumors 6502a

nylonsteel

4th gen shuffle - my best running companion for years
    small
    light weight
    easy user controls
    easy downloads
    Current setup: bluetooth earbuds with android phone - heavier and clunky

17. timidpimpin macrumors regular

I had two different first gen shuffles, and loved them a lot, but the headphone jack went bad on both within a year. The 2nd gen. shuffle was the best by far.

18. SSDGUY macrumors 6502

In many ways, for navigating playlists, still prefer the tactile connection of the old click-wheel iPod.

19. timidpimpin macrumors regular

Agreed. I had the iPod mini and loved the click wheel.

20. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

The 7th gen nano eventually supported AirPods with a firmware update, but there was an issue with low volume. I don't remember whether this was ever fixed before Apple discontinued the product line.

As for myself, I still occasionally use my 5th gen nanos. That gen gets my vote for best non-iOS iPod, with its nice bigger screen (than 4th gen), video camera and built-in speaker. Yeah, okay, the speaker has virtually no bass, but it's there for what it's worth. I've never had a shuffle, though. A member of my family has a pink 4th gen shuffle, but it's that person's least favorite choice. The rest of the family's music devices are iOS-based now.

21. Candykane75 macrumors member

Candykane75

A time Apple still Made great products. I really miss the Keynotes with Steve

22. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

I did not know that - it's a shame they never marketed it. I would love a nano for snowboarding.. since I have a LTE Watch I could just use that..to afraid to use wireless headphones when snowboarding as if I take a spill they will totally fall out... so a Nano w/ Wired headphones would be perfect and i would not have to worry about losing my X.

23. Candykane75 macrumors member

Candykane75

You be amased how many sporters still Use iPods . This is a market Apple forgot about . Big storage iPods i dont meen the touch screen ones . There is such a big market for them . Classic iPod remove the fragil hard disk and replace with huge flash.
    If you don’t want a Apple.
    The Sandisk clip jam might be for you. You will have to copy you files manually but it supports acc

24. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

I mean, the way we consumed music has changed. I don't think that Apple really killed the iPod because it was a bad product - the way that people just started to consume/listen to media changed.. its happens all the time in music with records, tapes, flash, sony mini discs, etc...

I do wish they kept the nano around that could connect to wifi or make a cellular version that could stream music.. but hey, i understand that there probably isn't much demand for something like that.

25. Hockey_Gym macrumors newbie

I wish Apple would consider making one that can sync with Apple Music. My 4gen shuffle is my go-to at the gym, its nice to be able to unplug and get in a good workout without any distractions.

Hell, even if they made you sync the thing once a month to authenticate your Apple Music subscription it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.