Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alleyoop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
A friend wants an iPhone for her 8 year old to play games and take pictures with. They don't plan on using it as a phone. We bought a 2G on eBay for $130. It said 2G in the listing and elsewhere on the ad, but then under model it First Generation. Turns out it is the First Generation. He offered to refund.

BUT, I was wondering if the first gen is ok for the purposes above. What would be the downfall of that generation? Is that a bad price for an iPhone that old?

Turkeywrap

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
South Florida
A friend wants an iPhone for her 8 year old to play games and take pictures with. They don't plan on using it as a phone. We bought a 2G on eBay for $130. It said 2G in the listing and elsewhere on the ad, but then under model it First Generation. Turns out it is the First Generation. He offered to refund.

BUT, I was wondering if the first gen is ok for the purposes above. What would be the downfall of that generation? Is that a bad price for an iPhone that old?

First Gen is the iPhone 2G, Second is the iPhone 3G, Third is iPhone 3GS and fouth is iPhone 4.

Alleyoop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Doh! Sorry, didn't have the time to do enough research because she has the cancel the auction soon if she wants too:eek:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
AT&T's Network:
EDGE - 2G
3G - 3G
LTE - 4G

So often the original iPhone is referred to as iPhone 2G (since it only uses the EDGE network), which people mistake it for it as a 2nd generation iPhone.

Back to your original question, I have an iPhone 3G that is not in use right now (no service), so I let my 3yr old nephew use it all the time as an iPod touch. So I loaded it with kid games and some pixar movies and let him use it when ever he wants. The only downfall from owning an original iPhone is that it is no longer supported by Apple (as far a future software updates), 3.1.3 is the last OS supported by the original iPhone, meaning that if you find a game in the App Store that was only supported by iOS 4 and higher, you will not be able to download it.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Considering i was 23 when I bought the 1st generation iPhone, and still believe it to be an awesome and revolutionary device.... I think it's more than adequate for an 8 year old to play with...

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Considering it is the most durable of all the iPhones, it should be perfect for an 8-year old.

But like mentioned, it may not play and download the latest apps and games. Always keep that mind. There is a great game out now called Cut the Rope. Not sure if it is compatible to non-4.0 software.

It should be more than aqeduate for an 8-year old with games, music, movies, and surfing the web. Just always remember you can't get the latest and greatest because of software if the child wants all that.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
i would just buy an ipod touch forth gen, the newest because it has cameras now too. the iphones are good but will soon be outdated and newer apps will start to need more power as apps become more advanced.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
It's a great device, built very well and everything. But if it's going to be for gaming, then possibly a newer iPod touch or iPhone 3GS would be better since they have faster hardware. But it's for an 8 year old, so I'd say that anything will suffice. But like other have said, some games might not be supported, and load times are going to be long on that device, not to mention games might crash with the small amounts of memory on the device.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
Games probably won't be ideal as most are now requiring os 4 which the first iPhone can't run:(
Completely wrong. I still my use a 2G iPhone as seen in my sig. I have run into ONE app I couldn't run, and it wasn't even a game - it was the latest NHL app. For an 8 year old, I doubt there are very many (if any) apps and games that a 2G wouldn't run, and run fairly well.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2010
Completely wrong. I still my use a 2G iPhone as seen in my sig. I have run into ONE app I couldn't run, and it wasn't even a game - it was the latest NHL app. For an 8 year old, I doubt there are very many (if any) apps and games that a 2G wouldn't run, and run fairly well.

Of course the 2g iPhone can run it, but because the software and processor is so damn old, it lags almost all the time and freezes/disconnects once in a while. If the OP's 8 year old doesn't mind that, then by all means the iPhone 2g is just fine. I recommend getting a regular 3g though. Looks cooler and it has a slightly better processor.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I think you should have bought the new iPod Touch 4 since it has warranty and will last longer. Its perfectly fine though.

I would recommend a refurbished iPod touch 8GB for $150 but you mentioned taking pictures ... which it cant do.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
Of course the 2g iPhone can run it, but because the software and processor is so damn old, it lags almost all the time and freezes/disconnects once in a while. If the OP's 8 year old doesn't mind that, then by all means the iPhone 2g is just fine. I recommend getting a regular 3g though. Looks cooler and it has a slightly better processor.
This simply isn't true. If your 2G has issues, I'm sorry. Mine, however, generally runs like a champ. I experience some slowdown on graphically intensive things because of the lesser hardware, but it is nowhere near as bad as you try to make it sound. And yes, I've run dozens and dozens and dozens of games and apps.

It's absolutely fine for an 8 year old.

Oh, just to correct some misinformation:
I recommend getting a regular 3g though. Looks cooler and it has a slightly better processor.
^ This is incorrect. The 3G is running the exact same processor as the 2G.

tincanman

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2010
i don't know
maybe the new itouch 4g would be better. it has a camera too

mainly because the iphone 2g supports only up to 3.1.3 and many games now(as far as the games i have) require at least 4.0 even though most of them don't even require the ios 4 functions.

i recommend a iphone 3g or itouch 4g
personally: itouch 4g, because it's easier to get and has the hardware of a iphone 4g

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

Completely wrong? As someone who has a first gen ipod touch and a iphone 4, I can say WITH CERTAINTY that not all apps/games run with the first gen device as developers simply are designing for these old devices anymore

Regardless, the os/app advancements over the last 3 years has made the older devices run much slower than the newer once

My ipod touch and my previous 3g lagged very bad in relation to the new iphone. Just the nature of sw development that is designed around the latest hardware

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space

The 3G/3GS was a step back in design from the 2G and definitely does not look "cooler." I will take the aluminum back even with a bit of plastic over the all plastic and curved back of the 3G/3GS. 2G reminds me of a MacBook Pro while the 3G/3GS reminds me of the black MacBook

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
The 3G/3GS was a step back in design from the 2G and definitely does not look "cooler." I will take the aluminum back even with a bit of plastic over the all plastic and curved back of the 3G/3GS. 2G reminds me of a MacBook Pro while the 3G/3GS reminds me of the black MacBook

Looks are a subjective criterion are they not? To each his own

oilers15

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Man, kids are getting damn lucky as time progresses. When I was 8, you were considered spoiled if you got the latest hotwheels battery powered ramp :D. Anyways sure a iphone 2G is good, but just a thought...why not get a Nintendo DSi it has cool games and 2 camera built in plus its more kid friendly.

SL4VE

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
why dont you buy a Nintendo DS its purpose built for kids and got a cam now too

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Remove the SIM and it should function as an iPod touch. Kids these days are lucky :p

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
Completely wrong? As someone who has a first gen ipod touch and a iphone 4, I can say WITH CERTAINTY that not all apps/games run with the first gen device as developers simply are designing for these old devices anymore
Nice play, Shakespeare - way to put words in my mouth!
If you'll take the time to read my post again thoroughly (which you apparently did not the first time), I never said ALL - I said very many. I'm not sure why you seem to be so put off.

My point still stands - a great number of apps and games still work with the 2G iPhone, and work very well. For the games that I can imagine an 8 year old liking, I can't forsee any problems. If a 2G is already available, there really isn't a point in spending over $200 on something else which will essentially be the same exact thing.

Dyspareunia

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Southern California
I let my eldest daughter use my old iPhone, when I upgraded to the 3G, back when she was only 2 years old. Remarkably, she knew how to scroll through all the photos and knew how to get to YouTube. Her two favorite games at that time were Bubbles (bubble popping game) and BubbleFREE (bubblewrap emulator). She's now 4 and still uses it, but now she's got pre-school games like Monkey Preschool Lunchbox, Dora and Spongebob. I loaded Disney movies and some songs that she likes into the iPod app. I put family photos in the Photos app. She still loves YouTube, but knows it can only work in the house, under Wi-Fi. She knows how to use the camera to take pictures.
My other daughter who just turned two years old, will fight with her sister for use of said iPhone. So I threw on a case on my wife's old iPhone which had been resting peacefully all this time in its box in storage and let my youngest one use it as her own. I bought Griffin Woogies as well recently for them, since my youngest has a horrible habit of just leaving the iPhone and forgetting where it was abandoned. Now, you can't miss it, cuz it's embedded inside a huge stuffed, green sextapus case.

The one thing that has impressed me about iOS, even tho Android users keep saying how it's too easy and only dumb people use it, is that the OS is so simple and easy to use that even toddlers and pre-schoolers can use it! That is a good thing! I've never encountered a gadget where a baby can pick it up and start using it intuitively without instructions, yet be so powerful and all-encompassing with regards to its capabilities. This ease of use, alone is what got me hooked on the iPhone all four generations and can honestly say, I highly doubt I'd switch for anything out on the market. I love the iPhone and my kids love it!

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
Nice play, Shakespeare - way to put words in my mouth!
If you'll take the time to read my post again thoroughly (which you apparently did not the first time), I never said ALL - I said very many. I'm not sure why you seem to be so put off.

My point still stands - a great number of apps and games still work with the 2G iPhone, and work very well. For the games that I can imagine an 8 year old liking, I can't forsee any problems. If a 2G is already available, there really isn't a point in spending over $200 on something else which will essentially be the same exact thing.

And back to your first reply.....all I mentioned was that there may be app compatibility with a 2g, and there is. To that you replied, completely wrong, when in fact, it is a very relevant issue to consider. I am not sure why you replied in the manner you did.

Not to mention that the older devices with the latest os they can support run very sluggishly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.