Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Those photos aren't bed per se, but something seems off to me. Not sure about the control you have but I think the depth of field on the left had dog is too shallow.

You can get similar effect with larger aperture lens from DSLR cameras with the focus shift, often is an undesired effect.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
It'll probably stop at 100mm focal equivalent, since bigger telephoto lenses need thicker cases.

Multiple lenses are a perfectly viable design option with its own set of benefits compared to single lenses.

But it is a smartphone with a camera on it and not a camera with a smartphone functions build in it. It will never replace professional cameras, even if you put hundreds of lens on it. They will always be mediocre quality compare to professional ones. As surprise as it may be for some people, physics do apply here too.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I still have to laugh at the way iOS 7+ makes certain things almost unreadable even using the default wallpaper...

iphonexsmax-1-800x531-1.jpg

vs.

ios6.png

Reactions: Gudi and 2499723

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Those photos aren't bed per se, but something seems off to me. Not sure about the control you have but I think the depth of field on the left had dog is too shallow. And there is something weird about the depth in the image with that thing in the photo top right. it looks to me like it is behind the dog but has about the same sharpness as the dog.

It does not look like it's behind the dog, but beside the dog and creeping into the frame at the same distance from the camera lens as the dog.

shooter03

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2013
Pakenham, Victoria,Australia
Those photos aren't bed per se, but something seems off to me. Not sure about the control you have but I think the depth of field on the left had dog is too shallow. And there is something weird about the depth in the image with that thing in the photo top right. it looks to me like it is behind the dog but has about the same sharpness as the dog.

they were some pretty quick snaps of the boys within minutes of it being set up, the thing right near Styxs head ( the white dog ) was a hanging toy and it was right next to his head thats why it looks clearer.

benji4benji

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
israel
$1000 phone and no fast charger in the box? I feel Apple is being cheap in nor adding a complete package in the box. Phones a quarter the price have a quick charger and not that slow charger from 5(¿) years ago?

Reactions: theshiver

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
All this talk of the richness of the OLED screen has me rethinking my possible XR order. I’m really hoping dark mode comes to iOS. On an LCD, the ‘black’ pixels are still quite obviously lit, which kind of defeats/devalues the purpose of dark mode.* But then again, the price difference between a base XR and XS Max is significant to say the least. Glad these people are enjoying their devices. They’re effectively marketing Apple’s products for free.

*On a side note, I really don’t understand why inverting colours in accessibility settings forces the deactivation of ‘night shift’. Why can’t both coexist?

Last edited:

AgentAnonymous

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
I think i might get the Xr, not really enough of a difference between X and XS imo.

I thought apple would blow us away, but sadly, looks like next year will be it.
The XS is superior to the X in literally every way. The A12 also might be the most significant chip upgrade in iPhone history.

Reactions: jbizzybeetle

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
Just tried the max in a store, and for the first time ever I'll skip the new iPhone. I cannot justify the price. I'll keep my x for another year and see what comes next

For those of us on, say, an iPhone 6, the XS and XS Max are incredibly enticing. The X was such a step forward that it’s unsurprising that X owners won’t feel the pull to upgrade in the same way.

That said, since iOS 12 considerably improved my experience using the 6, I’m finding it harder to justify the purchase of my planned XR.

Reactions: urbanleopard

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
So skipped last year. X just didn’t feel like going forward after a 6S+. Compared but screen was larger but not. Narrower.

Was going to wait for Xr. Then read specs. Lower res. :(

So walked into Vodafone to look at a Max. Gold color improved over last year but back still seems incipient.

Anyway a case over it ... I ended up walking out with a Space Grey which will get a cover soon.

Decided to treat as a new phone and install apps fresh. Amazing how many you never use but get installed each upgrade ;)

Had issues with Watch. Needed to un-pair then re-pair. All good now. Needed to set up credit cards again and accounts.

All going smooth now.

Notch not annoying me as much with the bigger screen. Even loaded some movies and finding it great. Volume is much louder than on 6.

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
....what? How do you justify that response? Quite the opposite has been said about this cpu upgrade

Kind of agree. The CPU is just a mild upgrade, even though the 7nm process is a big step forward. Most of the gains are going to be seen in the GPU, that's where the A12 SOC really outclasses the A11 by a large margin.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
I think the quality is pretty amazing for a P&S that's effectively free and fits in your pocket.
We can talk about pro cameras and lenses, but even a really good L or VR lens will have a part of its range that's ragged, they have to be huge to collect light and be heavy and have lots of elements to reduce chromatic and spherical abberation.
Look at a detailed analysis of a DSLR lens and you'll see how much better the centre performs than the edge and these tiny phone lenses have incredible resolution because they are effectlvely like the centre of pro lenses (although they could still be better).
Plus, we throw away a huge amount of definition from a pro camera we will never use. A screen uses, what, about 3mp.
And the colour gamut of printers is minute. They make decisions about how to interpret the wider colour gamut approximate it and throw away the rest. That's for the tiny proportion or images that are printed anyway.
As for the bokeh, well that varies with focal length and from lens to lens too. Some people switch off stabilisation because that messes it up. You can't really judge from one shot but it looks pretty good to me.
A grab shot in really good light with an image viewed on screen, I doubt you'd see any difference -although the iPhone does seem to add a polarizing filter as standard by the look of it and you might not like that.
In really low light the iPhone wins hands down as you'd have real trouble seeing let alone focusing (I've got about $4000 of DSLR and lenses and I can't beat the iPhone in low light with that). I have an app that takes about 30 seconds to process in low light and the results are frankly astonishing. I'd need a tripod and have to nail the exposure or shoot in RAW and post process to get the same result.
I reckon I could still get better results with the DSLR with a portrait lighting set-up and and a good 1.4 prime, but not by much and probably not with a grab shot, and probably not without a bit of post processing.
And let's not forget Cartier-Bresson didn't use a pro camera.
Have you ever seen the camera Ansel Adams used?
I think they would have got amazing results with this iPhone.

And in any case, the best camera is always going to be the one you have with you.

Last edited:

AppleUser2

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
$1000 phone and no fast charger in the box? I feel Apple is being cheap in nor adding a complete package in the box. Phones a quarter the price have a quick charger and not that slow charger from 5(¿) years ago?

Yeah. Really looking forward to my Max (arriving today), but this feels a bit cheap by Apple. I’ve been searching for low cost solutions as 50% charge in 30 minutes is tempting!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Ya,, you feel the same with going to a Retina screen too.. The oldies just never look at good anymore.

(said the person using a MBA)

Reactions: Kaibelf

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK

We've seen dozens of iPhone XS and XS Max reviews from media sites that Apple invited to test the new smartphones ahead of their release, but now that the new iPhones have officially launched in the United States and other countries around the world, iPhone XS and XS Max first impressions from regular Apple customers are now available.

New iPhone XS and XS Max users on reddit, Twitter, and the MacRumors forums have been sharing their opinions on the two new devices, and for those awaiting their own new iPhone or considering a purchase, the impressions from average consumers provide interesting insight.

MacRumors reader shooter03 said that the larger display of the iPhone XS Max is "amazing" and exactly what he's after. "I'm like WOW!!" he wrote.

iphonexsmax-1-800x531.jpg

Image via shooter03
shooter03 shared some iPhone XS Max photos he took of his dogs using Portrait Mode and the new Depth Control feature that lets you adjust the depth of field after taking a photo, which came out great.

iphonexsmaxphotos-800x531.jpg

Image via shooter03

Reddit user jtx660 who upgraded from an iPhone 7 said the display of the new iPhone is incomparable to the display of the iPhone 7, with vibrant, bright colors.

iphonexrgoldreddit-800x600.jpg

Image via reddit user jtx660
jtx660 also put together a video of his iPhone and shared a photo gallery to show it off.

MacRumors reader sjperformance said he didn't notice a huge weight difference between the iPhone X and the iPhone XS Max, and that it didn't seem much bigger either. He also shared a photo of the iPhone XS Max next to the iPhone X.

iphonexsmaxandx-800x532.jpg

Image via MacRumors reader sjperformance
Have an iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max? Feel free to share your first impressions and your photos in the comments below. We'll be sharing a hands-on video later today when the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max launch in the United States, so stay tuned to MacRumors.com.

Article Link: First Impressions From New iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max Users

Looks good.
Just watched the video, but at around 2:23, the video goes black and doesn't come back on. Up to that point the XS Max looks amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.