Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It's officially MacBook Pro launch day, and customers around the world who pre-ordered after last Monday's event are receiving their devices today. We've already seen reviews of the new MacBook Pro models from media sites, but now first impressions from everyday users are available.

macbook-pro-sizes-space-gray.jpg

New 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro owners are sharing their opinions on the MacRumors forums and Reddit, and their insights are useful for those awaiting their own MacBook Pros and for those who are still considering a purchase.

MacRumors reader James C received a 16-inch M1 Pro model with 16GB of memory, which is likely to be a popular configuration. He ran several benchmarks comparing it to a M1 MacBook Air, a 2014 iMac, and a 2016 MacBook Pro. His results are useful for those who are upgrading from an older machine and want to see the possible gains.

macrumors-forums-james-c-benchmarks-1.jpg

macrumors-forums-james-c-benchmarks-2.jpg

MacRumors reader Rkuda highlighted how the Menu Bar works with full screen apps on the new models. On older Macs, the Menu Bar would always pop up when you moused up toward it, but on the new MacBook Pro models, that doesn't happen.

For those curious about the weight of the new machines compared to older models, MacRumors forum members are discussing the differences. GrindedDown gave a good overview and said that the weight is more manageable than you might think.
For as big as it is, I was actually shocked at the weight picking it up just now. It's way more manageable than a lot of people seem to be making it out to be. If portability is a high, high priority for you, the 14 is great. The 16 is still plenty portable and because my highest priority is having an optimized workstation laptop for video production, the 16 fits the bill. I'll take the added weight and slightly less portability, for bigger screen, better battery, high power mode and more.
Some readers have been discussing the ProMotion feature of the mini-LED displays on the new MacBook Pro models. Kylo83 said that the ProMotion feature is "really bad" and scrolling in Safari is more choppy than it was on his older 16-inch machine.
Just got the 16 M1 max model and the pro motion is really bad, it's good on the ui like swiping pages but on safari it's actually more choppy than my old 16" i9 also the speakers are not as loud as the older MacBook Pro and it doesn't sound better if anything the highs are better on the last model, also the display is the exact same brightness than the 2019 MacBook and using 4k hdr on YouTube it's only slightly better, so to be honest everything apple said about it is minor I expected a big change with the display but it's just not there; anyone have any views on this
Other readers have also said that there are issues with lag in Safari, so this could be a bug that will be addressed in the future. Still other MacBook Pro owners have had no complaints about the display and the ProMotion.

MacRumors reader LFC2020, who was one of the first to get the new machines in Australia, said that ProMotion is not as noticeable on the MacBook Pro as it is on the iPhone and the iPad, and that the mini-LED screen is "not as good" as the display from the iPad Pro. He also said that the battery life is "awesome" and that overall, it's a great machine.

MacRumors reader Prism, who upgraded from a 2020 MacBook Air with an Intel Core i5 chip, said that the new 14-inch model is "simply night and day" when it comes to responsiveness, display, look, and feel.
I am coming from a 2020 MBA intel i5 and I have to say that responsiveness, display, look and feel are simply day and night.

I am so impressed by the build quality of this "tank" and I am so happy to have chosen silver as it contrasts beautifully with the black keyboard and apple logo! I am also glad of not having purchased the M1 MBA or MBP of last year, I would have felt terrible right about now! All this to say that I am in my element, a happy camper, this machine has pretty much everything I was dreaming of which is why I say good riddance to Jonny Ive, you certainly won't be missed
Over on Reddit, the-cats-pajamas said that the biggest standout on the new MacBook Pro is the display.
The biggest standout so far is the display, I have an LG C8 OLED TV and this easily tops it when it comes to colours and contrast. Using the mouse on the 2012 60hz display almost feels laggy now. Most of my usage has been installing software at this point so I don't have much to talk about performance wise yet, but with regards to the basic user experience it's been nothing but smooth, responsive sailing so far.
Do you have a new MacBook Pro? Let us know your thoughts and first impressions in the comments below.

Article Link: First Impressions From New MacBook Pro Owners: Benchmarks, Weight, ProMotion

Reactions: u+ive

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
Too bad pixel response time of these new screens is awful. It's similar to iPad Pro 11, response times are in the range of 28-52ms. There's so much trailing/ghosting going on it's crazy. AnandTech reviewer posted a video of it in action.

EDIT: forgot to add video:
It's shot in slow mo because it's much harder to capture it on camera than when looking with your own eyes.

Last edited:

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
Too bad pixel response time of these new screens is awful. It's similar to iPad Pro 11, response times are in the range of 28-52ms. There's so much trailing/ghosting going on it's crazy. AnandTech reviewer posted a video of it in action.
This. Trailing/ghosting is the first thing I noticed and ProMotion also not as good as expected. Screen is such a letdown for me. I think maybe ProMotion is not as good due to the high response time.

Macisperfect

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2015
Really just missing the Touch Bar. Came in handy in lots of situations, plus can no longer see the line of emojis for texts... no predictive texts showing up.

Unsure how to make the keyboard brightness turn on or higher / lower.

Not too happy with the sides being cut on the bottom again. M1 design was nicer that way.

It feels like they re-did 2015 for no reason other than because they can.

Glad to have MagSafe back though.

thadoggfather

macrumors G5
Oct 1, 2007
I checked out the 14 and 16 on my way to picking up AirPods 3

the 16" is HEAVY

the 14" is a bit heavier than I'd like too but not too bad. The thickness feels nice/almost too thick but not, I like the rounded retro sides its more comfortable vs. sharpness against ones wrist/hand,

The screen seemed nice contrast wise but both sizes they seemed a bit dim turned up all the way.

Didnt check if auto brightness was on or not though, only played with them for 2 min.

The keyboard feels a bit different and tighter than 13 M1 Air and Pro's and the recent 'new keyboards' on other Macs.

--

Software wise its silly they dont offer a perfect black dark menu just a dark mode transparent menu.

Have ot engage Full Screen to hide the notch, without 3rd party tweaks. eh.

But I dont mind the notch as much as I thought, the thinner bezels do look great

Last edited:

contacos

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
The moment I unpacked mine I was like omg it is just like my 2012 retina MacBook Pro 13 inch. Just in space grey instead of silver. It is pretty much the same size and weight. Of course the display is what stands out but yeah, it’s pretty much an updated 2012 MBP (not saying it’s a bad thing).

I do not really notice the ProMotion but I never noticed it on my iPad Pro either

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68030
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California

Where would you notice that specifically, just with scrolling and such? Not doubting you, but I'm going to look at them in the store later today and want to know what to look for.

Link to the video?

DeadeyeM

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Where is the video can you post a link?

Reactions: ThisBougieLife

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
Where would you notice that specifically, just with scrolling and such? Not doubting you, but I'm going to look at them in the store later today and want to know what to look for.
I've been asked that question so often. You should notice it everywhere there's movement involved, having said that, some people can't even notice the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz refresh rate.

thadoggfather

macrumors G5
Oct 1, 2007
I've been asked that question so often. You should notice it everywhere there's movement involved, having said that, some people can't even notice the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz refresh rate.

Wasn't feeling ProMotion on the display units like I do my iPad Pro imo. wasn't as noticeable.

I think the regular 13 pro showed PromOtion more easily than 13 PM too.

Could be ALL in my head, idk.

Reactions: LFC2020

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68030
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California

I can definitely notice the difference in refresh rate. Very aware of it in the iPhone 13 Pro and iPad Pro. So I'll see what I notice.

VeryVito

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
The moment I unpacked mine I was like omg it is just like my 2012 retina MacBook Pro 13 inch. Just in space grey instead of silver. It is pretty much the same size and weight. Of course the display is what stands out but yeah, it’s pretty much an updated 2012 MBP (not saying it’s a bad thing).

I do not really notice the ProMotion but I never noticed it on my iPad Pro either
This makes me happy, as the 2012 is still my favorite MBP ever. Can't wait for my 2021 to arrive... next week?

Kylo83

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2020
Honestly sticking with my i9 MacBook, I can’t understand how this is promotion and it’s worse than the older one, only the macOS ui is smooth but safari is horrible and the mini led isn’t brighter or much better the iPad Pro is much better screen

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
I can definitely notice the difference in refresh rate. Very aware of it in the iPhone 13 Pro and iPad Pro. So I'll see what I notice.
Do you notice the amount of ghosting on your iPad compared to your iPhone? I have 13 Pro and 11 iPad Pro myself and the difference is huge. iPhone screen is so nice in comparison, there's almost 0 ghosting.

Reactions: iLLUMI and SFjohn

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Had Apple released this design in 2016, it would have been well received. I have just finished setting up my base 14” MacBook Pro, and have the following observations:
  • The screen is very nice, particularly with some of the new wallpaper in Monterey.
  • It looks much better in person than the marketing photographs suggest.
  • I have yet to hear the fans even after running benchmarks.
  • The black keyboard well goes well with the Space Gray case.
  • It is noticeably heavier than the previous 13” Pro but is still comfortable to hold.

DeadeyeM

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Oops my bad, forgot to edit my post:
It's shot in slow mo because it's much harder to capture it on camera than when looking with your own eyes.
I know i had issues with MBP 16 i've ordered and returned because of that. But i'm still curious what camera settings was he using, if it's slow shutter speed then then it make sense will need to get to Apple store and test, thanks

davidako

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021

EDIT: forgot to add video:

FFS Apple. Again with the cheap screens?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.