Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philip_S

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2020
I was going to attempt to rename the old sound files to match the new ones, then replace them, but then realized that the system folders are locked and the contents probably cannot be changed (or would be restored on a restart). It would be great if someone more technical and in-the-know can confirm this!
It has been mentioned on another thread that you can put sounds in ~/Library/Sounds, though I haven't tried it myself.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
I think sounds placed in that folder can only be used as the system notification sound (the only sound we are able to change in macOS). Not system sounds, like trash, etc.

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
So I wiped my drive, erased everything. Did a fresh install of Catalina from a thumb drive, to get rid of Big Sur. After few minutes of using Catalina, I no longer like the outdated look.

Formatted the drive again, installed Big Sur from Thumb drive. Its running well, no issue so far and fixed few visual issues on top bar. Text/font is still small. But I like the fresher look that is similar to iOS vs Catalina.

Running it on 2014 MacAir.
Hi, can you tell me how is it that you wiped your drive? Mine is "locked", so I can't erase it.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I am liking the new OS thus far, even with the ugly login screen. The new icons, with their Art Deco look, really don’t bother me like they do some here. I haven’t had any reboots, freezing or BT problems thus far.

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
Hi, can you tell me how is it that you wiped your drive? Mine is "locked", so I can't erase it.
In Disk Utility, select View => Show All Devices. If you erase the top level entry, that erases the disk drive. Obviously, you have to have booted from another disk or Internet recovery.

DS

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
In Disk Utility, select View => Show All Devices. If you erase the top level entry, that erases the disk drive. Obviously, you have to have booted from another disk or Internet recovery.

DS
I have view all devices and still can't erase or partition.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Snappier than Catalina on my Macbook Pro 2015.
Unable to install on my friends iMac 2018 with fusion drive.

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2018
After reading so many derogatory comments about BS on here, I decided to install it on an SSD external drive to try it out. I quite like it. It seems quite customisable. So far my only issue is it won't scan from my Samsung M2070W. Only solution so far is to purchase Vuescan. Or buy a new scanner! But I only recently replaced the toner cartridge.
Update: Spoke too soon - can't redirect airplay sound to another speaker. This worked on Catalina.

Last edited:

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
Generally it's fine. Snappy, smooth etc. However with several things opened all at once and especially if you have facebook running on Safari it does tend to slow down. Battery though lasts the whole day so that's good.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
the thing most commenters don't seem to realize is that this new interface is designed for touch. That is why round and spaced out is the direction. Fingers are larger than mouse pointers. It's the direction they are going. With the new M1 we will finally see processors powerful enough to run a full blown touch computer that doesn't suck and is appropriate for pros.

blackkidmarley

Suspended
Nov 7, 2020
lookz cool!

Screen_Shot_2020_11_13_at_4.47.38_PM.png

rainbow killaz

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
the thing most commenters don't seem to realize is that this new interface is designed for touch. That is why round and spaced out is the direction. Fingers are larger than mouse pointers. It's the direction they are going. With the new M1 we will finally see processors powerful enough to run a full blown touch computer that doesn't suck and is appropriate for pros.
I get touch is the direction they're going. At some point they'll fuse the Mac with the iPad and everything will be done "in the air" with transparent platforms like it happens in that Tom Cruise movie. But there are so many of us who do regular professional work on machines with actual keyboards, who don't need to be touching anything, who don't NEED this type of transition of platforms. They're fixing unbroken problems. They're thinking of future consumers, not of actual ones and their needs.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
That's no excuse. MS tried that route already and it just simply didn't work. It's not that hard to auto-change interface settings depending on which device you're using. Think of it like user agent on web browser. When you open the same page, like facebook on smartphone it looks entirely different to desktop. That should be the case with OS itself as well as you can't do "one size fits all". Mouse requires different UI than your fingers and it allows for more things to be displayed in the same space.

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
Right? Also see what FB, Twitter and others are doing to their interfaces for desktop. Exactly the same as what you see on mobile. I don't think I use 80% of those sites like I used to when the sites were clear, all the options easily at reach. And as I understand it's a nightmare for people who do marketing on FB.

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
Main wallpaper and user picture are gone from the welcome screen. The fix should be easier. But this thing shouldn't have to happen at all. WTF is going on with Apple? Who's in charge of these incredibly dumb changes?

nebojsak

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
And just to mention that BS looks really well on a non-retina display, better than previous systems. Didn't expect that, based on initial reports.

63W

macrumors regular
May 10, 2020

Booted in to recovery mode and wiped all the partitions. Recovery partition can't be wiped but the rest of the drive can be erased.
Perhaps there is a password lock on your drive? Not sure what the issue might be.

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
Booted in to recovery mode and wiped all the partitions. Recovery partition can't be wiped but the rest of the drive can be erased.
Perhaps there is a password lock on your drive? Not sure what the issue might be.
No, I unencrypted and disabled all passwords. The problem comes with the installation .dmg which has an expiry date. I couldn't install Catalina at all.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
At first, I didn't have much of a problem with BS, BUT yesterday it started throwing kernel panics (3 in 1 hour!). I did a clean reinstall and something was causing Finder to freeze and it wouldn't relaunch, along with some random process I couldn't find causing my Air's fan to run a full speed and no webpages would load on either Safari or Chrome. I finally had to do an internet recovery (which I've never done before) and went back to Catalina. My Air is running beautifully now, so I guess I'm not upgrading for a while—if ever.

Reactions: haddy

mikegc

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
This is a very small thing but I don't care for the "wallpaper" of the Log In screen:
IMG_0015.jpg

Is there a way to replace the background with a photo. I did that on my old 2014 MacBook Pro but cannot figure it out on this new 2020 Pro.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.