Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Competitors of Apple are shipping in Jan, I think this is because Apple got Intel to reserve the bulk of the chips for Apple and everyone elase has to wait. I read something about that not long ago, here I think.
It may be true, but anything you read was pure speculation...

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
Seeing that Nvidia can't write Mac OS X drivers worth even a tenth of a s**t, I'd like to see Apple kick Nvidia to the curb and stick with ATI, which has much more stable drivers on the OS X platform.

There have been NO END of problems with the Nvidia 8600 mobile chipsets in the Macbook Pros due to driver problems. People playing Second Life, WoW, and other games have had crashes, glitching, and so on, and none of these problems have been fully fixed yet.

Please, oh please let Apple stick with ATI cards. My X1900XT in my Mac Pro is *ROCK SOLID*, as is the X1600 chipset in my rev 1 Macbook Pro. There have been minor instability issues in the aluminum iMacs, but they have been fixed as far as I know. Nvidia has yet to fix their drivers.

-Z

As of now the freezing issues in the the Aluminum iMacs has not been fixed for many people, from what I've read in a thread.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Here:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2114747,00.asp

At the April 17 conference in Beijing, company officials went a step further and disclosed new performance specifications. For example, a Penryn processor with a 1600MHz FSB (front side bus) in a workstation or Penryn processor with a 1300MHz FSB in a server will offer 45 percent better performance for bandwidth-intensive applications and 25 percent greater performance for a server using Java. In this scenario, Intel compared the two pre-production processors with a quad-core Xeon 5355 processor.

Intel also compared a Penryn processor with a clock speed of 3.3GHz, a 1333MHz FSB and 12MB of Level 2 cache with its quad-core Core 2 Extreme QX6800, which the company just released on April 9. The results showed a 25 percent greater performance with three-dimensional rendering, a 40 percent increase in gaming performance and a 40 percent increase in video encoding.

[I think that the massive 12 MB cache and whatever access sharing scheme Intel has implemented is contributing to this performance as it doesn't seem to be *so* dependant on the FSB speed.]

Thanks for the link. I guess we have to wait and see if the Mac Pro takes this big a leap in performance. If it does Apple will have to provide chains to keep this beast from lifting off.

thedudeAbides

macrumors member
May 3, 2007
Here:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2114747,00.asp

At the April 17 conference in Beijing, company officials went a step further and disclosed new performance specifications. For example, a Penryn processor with a 1600MHz FSB (front side bus) in a workstation or Penryn processor with a 1300MHz FSB in a server will offer 45 percent better performance for bandwidth-intensive applications and 25 percent greater performance for a server using Java. In this scenario, Intel compared the two pre-production processors with a quad-core Xeon 5355 processor.

Intel also compared a Penryn processor with a clock speed of 3.3GHz, a 1333MHz FSB and 12MB of Level 2 cache with its quad-core Core 2 Extreme QX6800, which the company just released on April 9. The results showed a 25 percent greater performance with three-dimensional rendering, a 40 percent increase in gaming performance and a 40 percent increase in video encoding.

[I think that the massive 12 MB cache and whatever access sharing scheme Intel has implemented is contributing to this performance as it doesn't seem to be *so* dependant on the FSB speed.]

thanks for the link. that is quite an impressive bump. i believe that the 45 nm cpu's are also implementing improved instruction sets (SSE4) which may also improve performance.

thedudeabides

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Uh, wouldn't Intel have to release the mobile Penryns in order for that to happen? Everything I've heard says 2008, I don't see how December would even be a possibility.

Has Intel published anywhere release dates for the remaining Penryn processors? Is there a site you can go to for this stuff? (I always wonder where the Guides get their info on upcoming processors..)
I usually use wiki and beyond3d for my info. Dunno about anyone else.

Seriously, why is everyone so concerned with a new CPU? there is no way that practically anyone should be CPU limited with 8 cores processing at 3.0 GHz. i will guaruntee that most people are GPU limited though. come on, how old are these graphics cards? maybe everyone is excited because they think the new CPU's will force apple to update their GPU's. that's my call anyways.

thedudeabides
Hey some people fold and would be happy with a 16+ core processor.

Seeing that Nvidia can't write Mac OS X drivers worth even a tenth of a s**t, I'd like to see Apple kick Nvidia to the curb and stick with ATI, which has much more stable drivers on the OS X platform.

There have been NO END of problems with the Nvidia 8600 mobile chipsets in the Macbook Pros due to driver problems. People playing Second Life, WoW, and other games have had crashes, glitching, and so on, and none of these problems have been fully fixed yet.

Please, oh please let Apple stick with ATI cards. My X1900XT in my Mac Pro is *ROCK SOLID*, as is the X1600 chipset in my rev 1 Macbook Pro. There have been minor instability issues in the aluminum iMacs, but they have been fixed as far as I know. Nvidia has yet to fix their drivers.

-Z

I think Nvidia has the edge right now on 3D, but then there are really no benchmarks for DirectX10. Crysis will be released next week. My understanding is that when true DirectX10 gaming begins, ATI's stream processor architecture will kick in and kick butt. Also, OpenGL is still out there. John Carmack, for one, will only use that API. Any shader coolness that is invented for DirectX10 will be represented in OpenGL. It's "open" after all.

I have always been an ATI brand loyalist (sounds better than fanboy) because I think ATI also excells in multimedia playback. I think ATI has way more features for advanced HD everything. I actually do watch DVD movies on my computer, so it's an issue for me.

On the other hand, today's news is that AMD / ATI is in pretty bad shape with 3 quarters in a row of massive financial losses ever since the merger. The CEO of ATI has bailed out. I was afraid of that. So if I have to become an Nvidia loyalist, so be it.

Yeah, pretty sure nvidia's linux drivers are fine. I am not sure why Apple just doens't use those. Most people that I know have not had issues with nvidia's drivers ATI's on the other hand... Of course when you use a part that is 2-3 years old I would hope that the drivers have became stable. ATI does include lots of functionality with their cards but Apple has yet to tap into any of it. Choosing to rely on CPU power instead.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
It's about friggin' time! I was originally going to get a Mac Pro in Jan '07 thinking an upgrade as imminent. Outside of Configuration To Order (CTO) options, the Mac Pro has had ZERO price reductions or feature enhancements for 15 months! The Mac Pro is woefully uncompetitive right now.

In saying that, my wallet is ready when the Mac Pro comes out.

Not sure about uncompetitive ..... Are there other computer manufactorers able to run OSX and all your OSX applications?

Not sure what competitor you are talking about. Yes you can switch to a PEE CE but you also need to get all new software and in some cases, learn new applications.

Apple will come thru.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
... Apple got Intel to reserve the bulk of the chips for Apple and everyone else has to wait ...

That would be the best thing that could happen to AMD.

In other words, it's ludicrous to think that Intel would shaft the rest of their customers (and by far larger) customers to give Apple an exclusive.

It's possible that Intel has priced the 3.2 so high that only Apple wants it :D - but all this "preferential treatment" stuff is crazy talk.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
To give him a call towards the end of next week and see what can be done about a possible discount.

I bet the Mac Pro update will happen in January or February. They probably are going to give a price break to people that are on the fence about purchasing a Mac Pro. They are just getting approval and an exact discount. Just my guess.

I personally would wait until they are updated.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
This seems to be the most convincing evidence that we won't see updates until MWSF in January. I hope you're wrong, but it makes sense.

If all it is is a speed bump of the cpu and bus, this will likely roll out in a week or two.

If there is a major redesign, then January.

DrGruv1

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2002
Chicago - West 'Burbs
It seems Apple is so focused now on "immediate delivery" they are willing to delay release dates just to assure "sufficient quantities" of chips, whatever that really means. This rather than just releasing the device when chips start to flow and keeping an eye on how lead times vary with time as the flow adjusts over time until initial saturation is achieved.

Which side of that fence are you early adopters on? :D

Rocketman

Not sure - wait a month and see if there's issues... OR
Buy in the first 2 minutes! :D

TripleCore

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
I bet the Mac Pro update will happen in January or February. They probably are going to give a price break to people that are on the fence about purchasing a Mac Pro. They are just getting approval and an exact discount. Just my guess.

I personally would wait until they are updated.

While my tendency would not to be too optimistic where Apple updates are concerned, let's not forget one clue: Amazon is offering price rebates on the current towers. These are set to expire on the 12th. Coincidence? You decide.

tivoli2

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
My own little world...
Report ;) ?

There was a rumour from one source that was copied on several Mac sites - nothing confirmed or even second-sourced.

OK - Wild Bill is right - I did see that rumor and it gave me hope, but even if this rumor had more weight, I still feel like there has been a real black hole as far as info on what is a real possibility for the new machines. I say "feels like" especially in relation to the deluge we had with the iPhone & iPod madness.

And, like most others, I hope for a better choice of graphics cards. That being said, I'd ask what are the chances/hurdles/impossibilities of Apple enabling the Mac Pro to accept the many aftermarket cards I see at the local Big Blue? (Aiden?) I like to play games, but my main task is animation and After Effects - (my machine still does well with standard def in short segments, but grinds to a halt at the mere mention of working in HD) maybe the graphics cards that are already available are good enough... but they're OLD. Granted, not as old as the one I'm using now... Is what limits Apple's card usage something very specific outside of the slot type? What is "reasonable" to hope for from Apple? Maybe that's not even a question best suited to this thread, and if not, I apologize. Sorry for rambling as well - I have many questions and worries, it seems.

sabbath999

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2003
rural Missouri
Sad to see that Lenovo and HP are ahead of Apple when it comes to knew product announcement.

Those that announce first are the ones that get to eat the most in backstock of old computers.

Business wise, it is FAR better to sell down current inventory to as low as possible before you announce... announcing does nothing but kill sales of your current hardware.

Announce when you can SHIP it. What matters is getting the hardware out ASAP with the lowest levels of previous-edition inventory, not who issues which press release when.

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Not sure about uncompetitive ..... Are there other computer manufactorers able to run OSX and all your OSX applications?

Not sure what competitor you are talking about. Yes you can switch to a PEE CE but you also need to get all new software and in some cases, learn new applications.

Apple will come thru.

Those of us who only consider Macs just get miffed that Apple's specs lag behind other companies (eg. graphics cards in particular), and are more inclined to hang on for the new models.

Those who aren't purely Mac users but are just looking at spec lists will certainly consider the current Mac Pro to be uncompetitive - it's the same price as when it came out 15 months ago without any improvement in spec. Comparing the Mac Pro today with the Mac Pro in August 2006 it's way over priced or under spec depending on how you want to look at it. Prices are (or should be) falling all the time for any given spec.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
You don't know business, Jack.

Those that announce first are the ones that get to eat the most in backstock of old computers.

Business wise, it is FAR better to sell down current inventory to as low as possible before you announce... announcing does nothing but kill sales of your current hardware.

Announce when you can SHIP it. What matters is getting the hardware out ASAP with the lowest levels of previous-edition inventory, not who issues which press release when.

If I were to decide to buy a bunch of the HPs - it would probably be mid-December before I could get the config info, get quotes, get approval from finance, and issue a Purchase Order to HP.

Your comment might make sense for the consumer systems sitting on Best Buy shelves, but HP is doing the right thing for my planning and purchasing process.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Those of us who only consider Macs just get miffed that Apple's specs lag behind other companies (eg. graphics cards in particular), and are more inclined to hang on for the new models.

Those who aren't purely Mac users but are just looking at spec lists will certainly consider the current Mac Pro to be uncompetitive - it's the same price as when it came out 15 months ago without any improvement in spec. Comparing the Mac Pro today with the Mac Pro in August 2006 it's way over priced or under spec depending on how you want to look at it. Prices are (or should be) falling all the time for any given spec.

Not on workstations, they have remained stable from the big vendors, with additions of the newer quadro FX and firegl cards, even the clvoertown price drop didn't alter prices.

liv4Mac

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
NYC
Seriously, why is everyone so concerned with a new CPU? there is no way that practically anyone should be CPU limited with 8 cores processing at 3.0 GHz.

thedudeabides

Are you serious? You should never make such and assumption when CPU is concerned. :rolleyes:

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
So basically both companies jump the gun to market an up and coming product with this processor?

Big deal.

Friends at Intel tell me that Apple is buying up the chip in large quantities and making it difficult for anyone else to get them.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
About time! The MacPros are over a year old and ridiculously expensive. $2000 for 2 Ghz? No thanks! Even many of Apple's own apps don't use all 4 cores and this has not improved in Leopard. For most things, their 2.0 Xeon is no faster than an almost 5 year old 2.0 G5!

Setmose

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Jerusalem, Israel
While my tendency would not to be too optimistic where Apple updates are concerned, let's not forget one clue: Amazon is offering price rebates on the current towers. These are set to expire on the 12th. Coincidence? You decide.

Good eye!

Cut straight from Amazon:

Purchase by: Postmarked by: Rebate amount:

11/12/07 12/12/07 $150.00

Total Rebate Savings: $150.00

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
November 13, that's the date and it is a Tuesday!

New Mac Pro and displays. I still think the enclosure for both will still be the same. with addition to BTO iSight for ACDs and a larger than 30" new display.

Apple will not wait for MWSF if they have the chips available now. It doesn't make sense. Many business have yearly budgets and taking advantage of end of this year tax deductions is a big incentive.

MWSF has been consumer centric in the last few years. i would expect them to announce other things there. So Bring MacPro NOW!!!!:eek:

liv4Mac

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
NYC
Will penryn Mac Pros be ready to ship by nov 13?

Ok, Penryn chips will be available on nov 11th. Motherboards and memory chips I assume are also ready. what about the unit as a whole?

The clovertown 8 core Mac Pros were out early because Apple just slipped it into their existing Mac Pros.

Since they have to build from ground up, do you guys really think that these Penryn based Mac Pros will be ready by Nov 13 just a couple of days after the release of these Penryn chips?

nitrokev

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2007
We've got two new designers starting at the Beginning of December, I need the Mac Pro to be released next week, but I'm betting on January :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.