Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
perhaps simply a tag line in his signature?

anyhow...

rocket - are you going to buy asap or wait?

I agree with the sig disclaimer.

I just bought a MacBook and will "initiate it" when 10.5.1 becomes available. My favorite computer is still the OS 9.2 PB G4 Ti 400 Rev A. Steve's fav too. It has a reset button in the back and IR capability!!

Once the MB SR with 10.5.x is proven stable I will be buying 2 (or more) for employees. I posted that fact to MR and several folks said, "I'll work for you if only you'll buy me a MB too." I informed those folks of the job description in public and I had no takers. Rocket geeks are freaks.

I do not intend to buy a MP. However after X-serve is updated to Octo we may buy a "small" cluster of perhaps 8-12 U.

Rocketman

maxpower13

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
Can't Wait

Well, I just canceled an order I had for a macbook pro. I will wait until whatever is coming is announced. I hope it's soon as I would love to have my new for Christmas break... but I can't justify buying a 3k computer with all these rumors floating around. Hope I'm doing the right thing...?

babboxy

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
Dear Roy,

I presumed due to this being a MacPro thread, that people would be able assume that I was talking about the MacPro. Funnily enough I actually thought people here were able to think for themselves, not needing to be told every single detail.

Just for you lets start again from the beginning.

Yesterday afternoon, I was browsing on the Apple online store, I added a standard configuration MacPro to the basket and saved this order for future reference. I then logged off, made dinner, watched some TV and went to bed.

Now on to today, I went for a walk took the dog for a walk. I get back in the door and 10 minutes later a member of staff from Apple in Ireland asked me about the order for a MacPro saved in my basket. He asked what I was waiting for I told him about the possible Penryn update to the MacPro next week. He said fine. To give him a call towards the end of next week and see what can be done about a possible discount.

Is that condescending enough for you?

Kindest regards.

you forgot to mention what sort of dog you have :D

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Apple press conference???

I want it NOW!!

I don't think Apple would just release this quietly like they did the Macbooks so do we have any Apple events coming up between now and NWSF? Unfortunately I would have to put my money on MWSF :mad:

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
you forgot to mention what sort of dog you have :D

For future reference the dog is a German Shepherd.

Lotngone, jut becaue we don't know about Apple having any media events doesn't mean they don't have them planned. With the iPhone coming out in Europe tomorrow they are more than likely jut getting that out of the way first.

Well hopefully anyway.

Corozive

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2004
Essex. UK
Apple Phoned me as well

I just had the same thing happen to me, an apple rep just called regarding a saved order for a mac pro i had sitting in my basket that i put there last night.

Maybe apple care about their pro users? if i just shelled out over 3 grand for a new system and a better one was released days after i would be obviously jealous and sad.

maybe they want to keep us all happy by warning us about a possible update. it make me wonder if the reason that hp and lenovo are releasing there in 2008 is due to apple having grabbed all the processors first and will announce a ship date very soon, why else phone people, if they are also not out until 2008

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I just had the same thing happen to me, an apple rep just called regarding a saved order for a mac pro i had sitting in my basket that i put there last night.

Maybe apple care about their pro users? if i just shelled out over 3 grand for a new system and a better one was released days after i would be obviously jealous and sad.

maybe they want to keep us all happy by warning us about a possible update. it make me wonder if the reason that hp and lenovo are releasing there in 2008 is due to apple having grabbed all the processors first and will announce a ship date very soon, why else phone people, if they are also not out until 2008

What did they specifically want to know? If they are just assuring new features align with your stated needs, the questions they ask would be revealing.

Rocketman

Roy

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006

And what warning did they give you?

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Well, I just canceled an order I had for a macbook pro. I will wait until whatever is coming is announced. I hope it's soon as I would love to have my new for Christmas break... but I can't justify buying a 3k computer with all these rumors floating around. Hope I'm doing the right thing...?

Macbook pro was just updated last week with a faster chip. I do not see anything happening to it until after the MWSF. I think it is pretty safe for you to buy now.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Macbook pro was just updated last week with a faster chip. I do not see anything happening to it until after the MWSF. I think it is pretty safe for you to buy now.

I think he might have been referring to cancelling a MBP order because of the impending (hopefully) Mac Pro refresh. Kinda hard to tell in his post, but when he mentions the $3k price tag I assume he meant Mac Pro.

Tuesday will be either very interesting or very vexing.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
We're an all HP shop and we constantly eval their new goodies, so chances are I'll be playing with an xw6600 and xw8600 shortly after they are made available, but alas I'm not much of a Photoshop user...

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
TUESDAY COME FAST!!!!!!!

I need a new Mac Pro for my business. My Quad G5 is done. Still a fast computer but it has been a lemon with so many issues. time to go G5!

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
TUESDAY COME FAST!!!!!!!

I need a new Mac Pro for my business. My Quad G5 is done. Still a fast computer but it has been a lemon with so many issues. time to go G5!

Guess you need to take the long way to the Apple Store with that gaping hole in the road from the landslide, eh??? :p:p

XIpenek

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Do you guys think than it will come on 12 ? and will the price go up or?
would be great if someone could answer me that since i am thinking to buy a macbook pro of 2,2 on monday or should i go and buy it

TripleCore

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
Do you guys think than it will come on 12 ? and will the price go up or?
would be great if someone could answer me that since i am thinking to buy a macbook pro of 2,2 on monday or should i go and buy it

The release date is a "rumor". Make purchasing decisions based on rumors at your own risk.

If it is a really urgent project you need it for, then buy a computer for that and don't wait. Otherwise, why not just wait another week or two?

If you buy Monday and something new appears Tuesday, would you be happy with that?

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
I will buy a mac pro on friday i am tierd to wait anyway the guess the price will be expensive as soon they put the news one and also i dont think than the macbook pro of 1.999 have more than 2,4 GHz :p or what do you guys recomend me to do? since if i buy on friday i will buy a macbook pro else i will only be able to buy after a macbook

If you buy on Friday we will probably get new ones on Tuesday, Apple is waiting for you to put the money down.
LOL

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
...answer me that since i am thinking to buy a macbook pro of 2,2 on monday or should i go and buy it

There won't be new internals in a MacBook or MacBook Pro before mid-January at the earliest - and then it will probably just be the MBP that's updated with the new Penryn mobile CPU.

The 12th is the date for the Xeon CPUs used in the Mac Pro maxi-tower to be announced.

Therefore, no new laptop news next week.

For the Mac Pro, several possible scenarios:

• announcement next week, shipping within a month (like the HP systems)
  • announcement mid December, shipping right away
  • announcement at MacWorld SF in mid January, shipping right away

Apple probably won't lose any Mac Pro sales if they announce on Tuesday and ship in mid December - anyone who does the slightest research will know that the Woodcrest/Clovertown has had its 15 months of fame, and all the rags are full of stories about Penryn.

XIpenek

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
agree thanx for your opinion guys

btw do you think than the price will go up or will be same?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
agree thanx for your opinion guys

btw do you think than the price will go up or will be same?

Intel's mode of operation for the last several hundred (computer) years is that new parts come in at about the same price as the old stuff, and the old stuff becomes much cheaper.

Apple's mode of operation has been for the new stuff to stay the same price, but not to lower the price of the older stuff that's using the much cheaper parts.

So, for the Mac Pro, expect more power/features for about the same price points.

For the MacBook Pro (in January), expect more power/features at about the same price points. For the MacBook (in January), do not expect a price drop even though Intel drops the prices of the MacBook components by 50% when Penryn comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.