Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

093618-rick_astley_worm_background.jpg

iPhone Background Image Used in Worm

Article Link: First iPhone Worm Affects Jailbroken iPhones in Australia

Cleve

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
IF this is an internet worm, why is it only affecting Aussies? It should be able to make the leap pretty easily, it is just port scanning IP addresses

Garrod

Suspended
Nov 13, 2008
UK
I hope this doesn't start a whole 'in your pocket' generation of Astley *****.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
It's a shame that the rest of the media are leaving the word Jailbroken out of their headline :(

Something funny about this quote. It's like you're obsessed with Apple and would get heartbroken if anything negative makes it to the mainstream.

On a side note, I don't think the average viewer, maybe even the average iphone owner would even know what jailbroken is.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Something funny about this quote. It's like you're obsessed with Apple and would get heartbroken if anything negative makes it to the mainstream.

When its false, yes, its a problem.
My phone will never get this issue because I am not JBed.
However, this spreads negative crap to non-iPhone users, and because of this false story, Im sure many people on the fence between the iPhone and another phone may sway the other way because "OMG, iPhone get virus! :eek:"

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Oh course they are. Gotta spread that FUD! :rolleyes:

FFFFUUUUU-------
I have that god**** song stuck in my head!
"Never gunna give you up........."

Don't worry. I remember when ipods 1st were able to play video, despite many products with beautiful screen having been out for years, before it, it was breaking news all day on Fox, Cnn, etc. Corporations helping each other out.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I cannot honestly give this either a positive or a negative, because it's an equal mix of both. On the one hand, this event creates publicity for the iPhone, and the picture the worm installs made me laugh. On the other, this should serve as a stark reminder of what NOT to do if you choose to jailbreak your device... and is a wake up call to everyone to be vigilant about security.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
That photo is too much and got the darn song stuck in my head again :(

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
haha, suck it jailbreakers!

I posted this on AppleInsider as well, but I already feel the need to post it again.

If you don't want to jailbreak and are happy with your phone, that is fine. I am glad you are happy. I'll never understand the vigilant anti-jailbreakers who come to message boards like this one and denigrate people who jailbreak their phones, spread mis-information, and in this case basically gloat that they get what they deserve. What do you get out of this? Is it that oh so smug feeling that you are somehow better or smarter than others? You know better? Well, nobody really wants to hear it. Unless you have something useful to add, why don't you just take your smug somewhere else?

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
However, this spreads negative crap to non-iPhone users, and because of this false story, Im sure many people on the fence between the iPhone and another phone may sway the other way because "OMG, iPhone get virus! :eek:"

It's not false, people don't know what jailbroken is. Now if it wasn't mentioned in the story that would be a different story, but it's silly to be this outraged just because it wasn't mentioned in the headline tittle.

cgtyoder

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Fresno
Apple users can now feel important - someone cared enough to write a worm for one of their devices, instead of being ignored for a Windows box.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo

Well, my jalibroken phone will never get this issue because I changed my default root and mobile passwords.

So in reality, the for the headline to be accurate it would have to state that only "jailbroken iPhones, with SSH installed, where the user did not change the default passwords" are vulnerable.

I don't think that is going to generate as many page views.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple users can now feel important - someone cared enough to write a worm for one of their devices, instead of being ignored for a Windows box.

Except that people who don't deliberately hack their own phones aren't affected. And only certain networks are vulnerable.

Sensationalist headlines.

This is NOT an iPhone worm. It's a jailbreak worm.

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
It's not false, people don't know what jailbroken is. Now if it wasn't mentioned in the story that would be a different story, but it's silly to be this outraged just because it wasn't mentioned in the headline tittle.

They could choose a word people know, though, like "hacked"

It IS misleading to make it sound like all iPhones instead of only hacked ones.

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I wonder?

JB iPhone + Astley = Evil plan devised by SJ to scare the hell out ppl who JB there iPhones. BAHAHAHA!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.