Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmexGG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
That's an interesting definition of "Pretty fair..." :rolleyes:
I wouldn't touch these south Carolina iPhones with a 10 foot pole. I also wouldn't pay a penny over MSRP if I was even interested in owning one. I was just wrongly assuming people would go crazy online to have one before everyone else.

AmexGG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
I don't mean to sound rude but: Why do you care? The seller sold at a price they found fair and the buyer purchased an item for a price they found fair. Who are you to pass judgement?
I'm not passing judgement I'm watching and enjoying the comments

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1509654248529.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1509654248529.png
    291.9 KB · Views: 428

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
Round 2 is a 64gb Verizon version out of South Carolina starting at $1585. Any guesses what it sells for and how long it lasts? I'll say $1380 and sold before 3PT.

I would probably agree with you. I think that 25%-30% over retail is what they're going to be selling for.

I feel ya. If I really wanted the phone and I could not get a launch day through Apple... I'd also have gone this route. Certainly LONG before I would have lined up. My time is valuable to me, and is much better spent on other things than lining up.

As for your "business expense..." I also come from entrepreneurial background ... I always chuckle when my friends told me... "what do you care, you can just expense it."
So I'm sure you'll appreciate the following.

LOL! I feel you on that one. My time is worth an awful lot more than just waiting in line. I can make more than enough money to cover the price difference in the time that I would have spent waiting in line and it gets delivered to me...even better.

I've seen 256gb X on Craigslist for as low as $1500. I've even seen some sold on eBay for as low as $1K. Not sure how that works as they obviously sold for a lost.

I doubt that those are being paid out...no way someone is selling for a loss.

Someone from Verizon in South Carolina is getting fired for sure. 3rd listing today for a Verizon iPhone x just popped up.

Probably lol.

I wouldn't touch these south Carolina iPhones with a 10 foot pole. I also wouldn't pay a penny over MSRP if I was even interested in owning one. I was just wrongly assuming people would go crazy online to have one before everyone else.

Why not touch them?

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
This first guy is getting hosed, $1700 minus PayPal, swappa, and overnight shipping is like $1500. I have local cash buyers for my T-Mobile over $1500.

PayPal fee is only 3%, so that's like $51 plus the $10 Swappa fee.

AmexGG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
I would probably agree with you. I think that 25%-30% over retail is what they're going to be selling for.

LOL! I feel you on that one. My time is worth an awful lot more than just waiting in line. I can make more than enough money to cover the price difference in the time that I would have spent waiting in line and it gets delivered to me...even better.

I doubt that those are being paid out...no way someone is selling for a loss.

Probably lol.

Why not touch them?
You think you will get an invoice matching the numbers on the phone he sends you?

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
You think you will get an invoice matching the numbers on the phone he sends you?

It has already shipped and guaranteed delivery before 3PM. He is a Verizon employee and will be providing me with a POS receipt with matching information for the phone and my Verizon account like I purchased in store.

Swappa fees are more now, depending on price. It'd be $35 for $1000-$1999.

https://swappa.com/fees

That is correct; Swappa has increased their fee structure.

AmexGG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
It has already shipped and guaranteed delivery before 3PM. He is a Verizon employee and will be providing me with a POS receipt with matching information for the phone and my Verizon account like I purchased in store.

That is correct; Swappa has increased their fee structure.
Awesome

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
Do they get employee discounts?
So you have to wait until he gets to work tomorrow and pays for the phone to get the invoice?

My understanding is that he purchased it full price through his employee portal. Regardless, I get it tomorrow and he will be generating a receipt for it...so long as I get the receipt and a working phone I am happy and quite frankly am not too worried how things on his side play out.

AmexGG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
My understanding is that he purchased it full price through his employee portal. Regardless, I get it tomorrow and he will be generating a receipt for it...so long as I get the receipt and a working phone I am happy and quite frankly am not too worried how things on his side play out.
So technically he sold the phone before paying for it?
Let us know what the discount is, I'm guessing 20%-30% as a reason he caved so fast for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: blairian89

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
So technically he sold the phone before paying for it?
Let us know what the discount is, I'm guessing 20%-30% as a reason he caved so fast for you.

I imagine that is correct. I will see if I can pull that information out of him.

firststate

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how flooded Swappa will be tomorrow. Trying to decide if it makes sense to return during the 14 day window or hold out for the Holiday season.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I wonder how flooded Swappa will be tomorrow. Trying to decide if it makes sense to return during the 14 day window or hold out for the Holiday season.

Swappa will be busy, but but that means there will be more competition to sell devices against other sellers. And being that shipping dates are not drastic for the iPhone X, prices will drop as well. Shipping times for the iPhone X went from 5 to 6 weeks yesterday to 3 to 4 weeks today.

AmexGG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Prices have tanked. Glad I got mine sold fast for cash.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171103-122700.png
    Screenshot_20171103-122700.png
    230.1 KB · Views: 317

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
Prices have tanked. Glad I got mine sold fast for cash.

Not by much. If you look at the SG 256GB prices are from $1,500 to $2,100. They’re just about where they were for the phone I bought off of there yesterday.

By the way, I got it at 1030AM CST and it works wonderfully. Super happy with my purchase.

AmexGG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Not by much. If you look at the SG 256GB prices are from $1,500 to $2,100. They’re just about where they were for the phone I bought off of there yesterday.

By the way, I got it at 1030AM CST and it works wonderfully.
There are 100s listed and prices (sold not asking) are $200 less than you paid. But we all know you care more about time than money. Enjoy the phone. I'll add a screenshot soon for you if you need proof.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171103-123724.png
    Screenshot_20171103-123724.png
    279.9 KB · Views: 87

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
There are 100s listed and prices (sold not asking) are $200 less than you paid. But we all know you care more about time than money. Enjoy the phone. I'll add a screenshot soon for you if you need proof.

Those are Silver; not SG. The SG is commanding a higher price for resale at the moment - go look.

I might have spent $150 more than I could have, but I wouldn’t have had the phone on launch day and I wouldn’t have had it for family wedding I am attending tonight.

AmexGG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Those are Silver; not SG. The SG is commanding a higher price for resale at the moment - go look.

I might have spent $150 more than I could have, but I wouldn’t have had the phone on launch day and I wouldn’t have had it for family wedding I am attending tonight.
Swappa is a train wreck! I feel bad for the GSM guys. 140 listings and 2 have sold! What's the point when the CDMA ones are so much more versatile and the same price. I don't even know if the guy who purchased my GSM even knew the difference, I definitely didn't ask who his provider was. I just put GSM unlocked in the title.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.