Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattkilla420

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
san diego
I'll see how ios8 is on my ipad before I make any decision to see if I'd be interested in going back to the iphone. The 4.7inch works best for me, it's the same size as my htc one which I'm still very happy with save the camera and irritations with google navigation every now and then. But sapphire on the iphone does impress me a lot since phones have gotten to the point for me that I care more about the strength of the devices glass and durability. I haven't read anything about it being waterproof or even resistant which would be very welcome attributes. The continuation of iPhones not being able to get insurance is something people should consider if they currently have insurance on android, but again the sapphire would potentially eliminate the need.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
…..All that being said, Apple should cater to the wishes of folks like myself and release an iPad Mini that can make phone calls. …..

I personally would also love it, if Apple added LTE capability to the rMini, but that's probably not gonna happen in the foreseeable future. I suspect for now at least, Apple wants to keep the iPhones and iPads as distinct product categories, without blurring the line. Which does make sense.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
No, he doesn't. His preference in phone size has nothing to do with your inabilities. Deal with it, life is hard.

Geez, you are a total maroon and a$$hat making that comment w/o reading the context of my prior posts in this thread. You must like to shoot first then hold the trial.

In my original post I was responding to a Android fan asking to what happened to Apple's "philosophy" that phones should be able to be one handed.

I told him that Apple realized that there is iPhone sales growth in the upsized market as well because hands are not one-size-fits-all (example: gloves). Making multiple sizes is good business. I then stated that I would personally stick to a smaller phone.

That is when another poster ignored the bulk of my comment and glomed onto my personal preference of smaller phone and told me a 5.5" is a good size for everyone, including myself, and that I must be a kid wearing skinny pants.

Cue your misplaced comment. You see, I, not the posters I was responding to, do support multiple phone sizes because I get that everybody is different both physically and with personal needs in a device. So go bark up another tree.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
But I'm fascinated to see how Apple addresses the size problem in a human way.
What do you mean by this? So far I haven't heard of any particular strategies by them to make the large screen format work. Did I miss something?

Godzirra

macrumors 6502
I never understood the "one hand" argument. I've never, not one time, used my phone with a single hand. People act like they have so much to do with their other hand while on their iPhone. I mean, I see it soooo often. Playing with an iPhone with one hand and using their other hand to.. oh wait, I never see that. Literally, never.

Some of us, have no choice but to use the phone one handed, unless i'm sitting down, then my walking aids aren't needed, But if i'm moving around, then i only have one hand free to use the phone, on a good day, and i'm not the only one who uses their phone with one hand.

I understand that there are plenty of people that want larger phones, and there are plenty that don't so please have a thought of others, who might not have the same build as yourself, wear the same clothes, and have the same lifestyle ;)

I myself would like a slightly larger iPhone, but with what i have held and tested so far, i'm probably limited to the 5s or something slightly larger, but no way a 5.5inch phone.

Have a good day, and no offence meant.

kdarling

macrumors P6
What do you mean by this? So far I haven't heard of any particular strategies by them to make the large screen format work. Did I miss something?

He's probably talking about hints like Apple's patent application for using the fingerprint sensor as sort of a trackpad (which has been done before).

Having such a bottom located (and optional) method of scrolling, selecting, etc, helps with dealing with larger screens. It's a solution that was worked out long ago, before touchscreens became popular.

Other aids include what Samsung does with their Note: have an optional smaller keyboard that moves from side to side as needed, the ability to make windows smaller temporarily so you can easily click anywhere on them, etc.

Apple has already taken one major step by pushing the idea of a back-swipe taking the place of the rather short-sighted upper-left Back button design.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
He's probably talking about hints like Apple's patent application for using the fingerprint sensor as sort of a trackpad (which has been done before).

Having such a bottom located (and optional) method of scrolling, selecting, etc, helps with dealing with larger screens. It's a solution that was worked out long ago, before touchscreens became popular.

Other aids include what Samsung does with their Note: have an optional smaller keyboard that moves from side to side as needed, the ability to make windows smaller temporarily so you can easily click anywhere on them, etc.

Apple has already taken one major step by pushing the idea of a back-swipe taking the place of the rather short-sighted upper-left Back button design.

Oh sure there are tons of good approaches in theory, it just sounded like he had some solid info already ;) While I kind of trust Apple to come up with some truly slick ideas for this, I can't quite let my shoulders down until I see some hard facts.

I mean, all this talk of one-handed use that is directed against the Note series for instance - the Note 3 is arguably easier to use one handed than a 5s, because of the all-intuitive back button + stuff like Nova gestures which let you pull down the notifications shade without even reaching to the top of the phone, and Samsung's mini windows and moveable/resizeable keyboards that you mention. The back-swipe is far from universally adopted for iOS apps and still doesn't feel very intuitive IMO, and the reach to the top left corner of a 5s isn't a very comfy manoeuvre even for my relatively large hands.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I used a Samsung Galaxy s5 Active this weekend, which has a 5.1 inch screen. The top of the screen was somewhat hard to reach, and the the left corner was practically impossible with one hand. I have pretty big hands. I'm not firmly opposed to having that size of a screen, but I just hope Apple finds a way to make the dimensions doable with one hand. 5.5 seems way to large for me personally, but I would give it a try if Apple can work some magic. If not though, I'll probably go for the 4.7. I just hope Apple doesn't do anything like give the 5.5 some exclusive features.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I used a Samsung Galaxy s5 Active this weekend, which has a 5.1 inch screen. The top of the screen was somewhat hard to reach, and the the left corner was practically impossible with one hand. I have pretty big hands. I'm not firmly opposed to having that size of a screen, but I just hope Apple finds a way to make the dimensions doable with one hand. 5.5 seems way to large for me personally, but I would give it a try if Apple can work some magic. If not though, I'll probably go for the 4.7. I just hope Apple doesn't do anything like give the 5.5 some exclusive features.

Why should Apple NOT put exclusive features in the 5.5" iPhone? No one on the Macbook Pro side of the fence is saying Apple shouldn't put exclusive features in the 13" and 15" rMBP over the MBA.

Personally, I think they should, maybe even give users the option of running iPad apps in it.

Also, no one really expects to use a 5.5" phone with one hand. That's just not that important to everyone.

----------

the Note 3 is arguably easier to use one handed than a 5s, because of the all-intuitive back button + stuff like Nova gestures which let you pull down the notifications shade without even reaching to the top of the phone, and Samsung's mini windows and moveable/resizeable keyboards that you mention. The back-swipe is far from universally adopted for iOS apps and still doesn't feel very intuitive IMO, and the reach to the top left corner of a 5s isn't a very comfy manoeuvre even for my relatively large hands.

This i would agree with most definitely. The small, moveable keyboard on the Note 2 and 3 is larger than the keyboard on any 4" iOS device. Add to that the GUI has larger icons and is much easier to see with the added space between them.

I agree with kdarling as well. Putting the back button at the top left of the screen is a rather archaic approach to app design. iOS works nicely with tiny screens because much of the UI elements are designed for simple tasks and poking gestures where one has to hit four or five buttons to do a simple task.

That's the kind of thing I don't want to see in the 5.5" iPhone after it's first introduced. It just won't work vey well, and will make it feel like a giant iPhone, instead of a small tablet.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011

you have to take into consideration that the s5 active is thicker and larger than the regular s5. the corners are also quite blunt. a 4.7 phone is a bit smaller than a s5 and the iphone 6 is going to be much thinner.

I currently have an s4 . I have small hands and have almost no problems using it with one hand. Sometimes getting to that left corner can take a little effort i have to tilt the phone a bit. But someone with regular sized hands shouldn't have any problems. And again the s4 is 5.0 so it is slighty bigger than the 4.7 iphone 6 model.

People have to trust that apple isn't going to make a phone that you cannot use with one hand.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Here is a question. People are saying with it being 4.7" it will be the same size as the HTC One (M7). My question is though, will it? I mean the iPhone 5/5S is 4", but it isn't any wider than the old 3.5" iPhones, just longer. The HTC One (M7) is wider than as well as taller than the current iPhones. We know the new 4.7" iPhones are going to be both taller and wider but what exactly are the screen dimensions (we know what the device dimensions are) and what is that compared to the HTC One (M7), and the S3?

Edit: This is what I mean by screen dimensions.

iphone-5-screen.jpeg

galaxy-note-3-vs-htc-one-6.jpg

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
but what exactly are the screen dimensions

The screen dimensions for 4.7" and a 5.7" screens are right there in the picture that you posted. Just subtract 0.15" from the 5.7" measurements and you'll have it roughly correct for the 5.5".

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
The screen dimensions for 4.7" and a 5.7" screens are right there in the picture that you posted. Just subtract 0.15" from the 5.7" measurements and you'll have it roughly correct for the 5.5".
That's screen size, not dimensions. For example the iPhone 5's screen size is the same width as the 4s despite it being 0.5 inches bigger. By dimensions I mean how tall and how wide?

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
That's screen size, not dimensions. For example the iPhone 5's screen size is the same width as the 4s despite it being 0.5 inches bigger. By dimensions I mean how tall and how wide?

As stated in the image you posted, a 5.7" screen with 16:9 aspect ratio is 71 mm wide and 126 mm tall. The 4.7" screen is 59 mm wide and 104 mm tall with the same aspect ratio.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
you have to take into consideration that the s5 active is thicker and larger than the regular s5. the corners are also quite blunt. a 4.7 phone is a bit smaller than a s5 and the iphone 6 is going to be much thinner.

I currently have an s4 . I have small hands and have almost no problems using it with one hand. Sometimes getting to that left corner can take a little effort i have to tilt the phone a bit. But someone with regular sized hands shouldn't have any problems. And again the s4 is 5.0 so it is slighty bigger than the 4.7 iphone 6 model.

People have to trust that apple isn't going to make a phone that you cannot use with one hand.
That's reassuring. I guess we will see in September.

Why should Apple NOT put exclusive features in the 5.5" iPhone? No one on the Macbook Pro side of the fence is saying Apple shouldn't put exclusive features in the 13" and 15" rMBP over the MBA.
Well, first, your example lists two different product lines. Since I wasn't complaining that the iPhone gets features that the iPod touch doesn't, your analogy fails. It's fixable though. The 15 inch Retina Macbook Pro is more powerful than the 13 inch, and no one complains. This is true, but a laptop computer is fundamentally different than an iOS device. Historically there has been only one iPhone to choose from, and you just tell Apple how much storage you want. This has been a selling point for them, and they've explicitly stated that they didn't want to release multiple models of the iphone for simplicity. So I would find it odd, and annoying if Apple went down the Samsung path of releasing multiple models that all have pros and cons and make the choice of product to buy a choice of the lesser of evils.[/QUOTE]

Also, no one really expects to use a 5.5" phone with one hand. That's just not that important to everyone.
I didn't ask to use the 5.5inch device with one hand. I want the 4.7, without sacrificing features.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Well, first, your example lists two different product lines. Since I wasn't complaining that the iPhone gets features that the iPod touch doesn't, your analogy fails. It's fixable though. The 15 inch Retina Macbook Pro is more powerful than the 13 inch, and no one complains. This is true, but a laptop computer is fundamentally different than an iOS device. Historically there has been only one iPhone to choose from, and you just tell Apple how much storage you want. This has been a selling point for them, and they've explicitly stated that they didn't want to release multiple models of the iphone for simplicity. So I would find it odd, and annoying if Apple went down the Samsung path of releasing multiple models that all have pros and cons and make the choice of product to buy a choice of the lesser of evils.

It doesn't. I never mentioned the iPod Touch, and the product lines names are moot, they are all still laptops.

Either way, you never answered the question

Why would you want a 5.5" iPhone to NOT have exclusive features?

Sure one can say that it's best to make all the phones do the same thing, but that's a very shallow way of looking at things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.