First LG TVs That Will Support AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Coming in April

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

LG today announced that its first 2019 OLED TVs with AI ThinQ will be debuting in April. These models, like other TVs in the 2019 lineup, will support AirPlay 2 and HomeKit later this year.

The 65-inch E9 and C9 models will be the first to launch, with additional models and screen sizes coming in May or June. Other LG OLED models will be announced later in the year.

[​IMG]

LG's 2019 lineup, first revealed at CES, will be available in screen sizes ranging from 55 inches to 77 inches.

Along with TVs from Samsung, Sony, and Vizio, LG's newest TVs will include AirPlay 2 support. With AirPlay 2 support, LG TV users will be able to beam photos, videos, and music from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to the LG TV, similar to how the Apple TV works today.

HomeKit support will let users control their television sets using Siri voice commands or the Home app on the iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Siri will be able to be used to do things like play a specific TV show or movie to be AirPlayed to your smart TV.

All of the LG OLED, NanoCell SM9X, NanoCell SM8X, and UHD UM7X television sets from 2019 will work with Apple's services according to Apple's HomeKit website.

Neither TV manufacturers nor Apple have provided a specific timeline for when AirPlay 2 and HomeKit will be made available on smart television sets, but LG recently said that it expects to enable the features through a mid-year upgrade.

Article Link: First LG TVs That Will Support AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Coming in April

2. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

3. yakapo macrumors regular

I think these will be the first with hdmi 2.1.

4. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

So the app (‘iTunes Movies & TV Shows’ - surely a placeholder name?) will be mentioned and demoed at the March 25 event.

5. sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

what i want to know is, will airplay 2 compatible tvs be able to output their audio to homepods? could one therefore use say a gaming console and through a tv’s airplay 2 support carry that audio to homepods?

6. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

Last time I bought a TV was a Samsung flatscreen LCD in 2005 (the floor model from a Circuit City no less, and STILL going strong today). Can't believe how much the costs on these things has dropped. While I would love to buy a new TV, we just don't watch enough of it in our house to justify the spend. The picture quality is pretty amazing though.

7. nutmac macrumors 68040

• C9: 55" $2500, 65" $3500, $7000 77"
    • E9: 55" $3300, 65" $4300
    • W9: 65" $7000, 77" $13000
    B9 and R9 series are still TBA, as well as 8K Z9.

If the past is any indication, TVs are typically released on April and sell close to the retail price until mid-June. Then in November, they are generally discounted to their lowest level.

From Rtings:

[​IMG]

8. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Sounds like you're the perfect candidate for a TCL 4K panel. Inexpensive as all get out (<$250 for some models). Decent picture, and for your limited amount of use... right tool for the right job.

9. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

Yes they will be, and they'll be "full spec" HDMI 2.1 with all the goodies. Glad LG is pushing the envelope in terms of connectivity.

As someone who owns a 55" C7 OLED, these TVs are amazing. I use an Apple TV4K with it, and the streaming experience is second to none. Glad Apple is opening up Airplay 2. One of the best things is to flick YT vids from my iPhone to my ATV4K, since the YT app for Apple TV sucks.

LG has deep discounts in the fall time, starting from October and going through Christmas. Take off about $700 and you can figure that'll be the fall time price.

10. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

That’s what i’m thinking. With all the show announcements and these tv announcements I feel like ‘show time’ is going to be the new Apple Media or whatever it’s called. And maybe a mention of the magazine thing if it’s connected, a la the DC universe service.

11. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

No thanks. A 2019 LG TV will be obsolete before the end of 2019. LG has demonstrated through their actions that they won’t support their customers once they have your money.

Once my existing LG tv needs to be replaced, I’ll be looking at a Vizio. I’ll never be buying from this brand again.

12. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

Can you elaborate on this? What do you mean.

13. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

The service, like the app, will be called Apple TV:

FEB2B8F1-1432-40B2-A108-258420316351.jpeg

Just like Apple Music, the service is the name of the app.

It’s been in plain sight all along. I don’t get why so many people — even tech journalists — have kept missing it.

That leaves the question as to what happens with Apple TV, the TV box. Does it get renamed? Does it get relaunched as an App that works on all TVs and Apple just sells an HDMI stick for TVs without it?

14. Unity451 macrumors regular

Unity451

Similar story...
    Bought my Samsung super thin LED about 2-3 months before 3D tvs took off and people were paying out the noses for the tvs and glasses. That ship has since sailed, and we're now in the world of 4K. While that would be awesome, turns out you can still watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on only 1080p. Who knew?!

15. nutmac macrumors 68040

I am guessing firmware update with new features like HomeKit and AirPlay 2. Vizio is providing HomeKit and AirPlay 2 update to models as old as 2016. Samsung is providing AirPlay 2 update to 2018 models.

While older LG models not getting HomeKit and AirPlay 2 is regrettable since it is technically possible, LG is pretty decent at providing firmware updates to older TV models, or roughly 2.5 years.

16. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

I see. Yeah that's always a concern. One thing I'll say is TV processors are lot more powerful than they were just 3-4 years ago. I hear LG's alpha processors are no slouch (found in last year's 8 series and newer). Unless LG has said otherwise -- I haven't followed their statements -- I wouldn't preclude the 2018 models from gaining Airplay 2.

I bought my C7 in October 2017 and it still gets regular updates 1 1/2 years later.

17. ipedro, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019

ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

LG customers who purchased a 2018 LG TV had their new TVs obsoleted within months (or even weeks!) for no reason other than for LG to withhold a feature advantage for future TVs. That’s a d*ck move.

It’s not even personal for me. My LG tv is almost 4 years old and I don’t expect it to be updated but I’ll be in the market for one next year and seeing what LG did to new customers, gives me every reason to switch brands and buy from a company that supports their customers.

18. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

You may be out of luck. https://www.macrumors.com/2019/03/05/lg-airplay-2-smart-tvs-mid-2019/
    Relevant excerpt: "New LG TVs will receive an upgrade mid-year to support Apple AirPlay 2 and Apple HomeKit for easy streaming of video and audio content and connectivity to Apple's smart home products. 2019 LG TV owners can also expect to receive a firmware update that will add Amazon Alexa support to complement Google Assistant which is included out of the box…"

I say you may be out of luck because LG could change their mind if the online petitions gain enough groundswell.

19. ssspinball macrumors 6502

Why no firmware updates for your 2018 TVs, LG? Surely they can handle this with their supposedly cutting elge "Alpha 9" processor.

20. canadianreader macrumors 6502a

canadianreader

That’s why i like dumb TVs with boxes attached to it. Keep the TV replace the box

21. pearvsapple macrumors 6502

Samsung still sells their LCD TVs at the same price as OLED TVs and sometimes even higher. LOL
    They even have the nerve to diss OLED while their phones still uses it instead of "QLED." LOL

22. AAtte macrumors newbie

Samsung updates their 2018 models to support Airplay 2. ;) And I'm very happy for that, as I own Q6fn 55" from 2018.

23. DogHouseDub macrumors 6502

DogHouseDub

Is Airplay video streaming of an online source smooth for anyone? It's super-laggy in my house (atv4, airport AE 802.11c, iPad pro or iPhone 8) while chrome cast is smooth from any device. Just me?

24. Chaos215bar2 macrumors member

For one, it's unlikely there's any technical reason LG couldn't update 2018 or earlier models with support for the features being added here. And we're not talking about low to mid-level TVs here. LG has a history of consistently failing to bring new features to even their top of the line previous-generation TVs, which makes it clear LG thinks of these TVs as disposable appliances meant to be replaced every few years rather than the sophisticated media computers they are (with all that entails). This means that realistically, unless you like having unpatched, massively out of date systems on your home network, you'll really want to just treat any LG TV as a dumb TV anyway.

There's also the fact that I'm aware of at least one fairly major (depending on what you watch) video bug LG has failed to fix in their 2016 OLED TVs. (Specifically, that the brightness limiter meant to prevent burn-in ignores anything going on on-screen with less than a certain brightness and will slowly but surely dim the screen down to almost nothing during dark scenes. As a feature meant to protect the screen, this can't be disabled.) After spending multiple hours on the phone with LG's support, it's clear that LG doesn't even have a mechanism in place to forward reports of software issues on out-of-warranty TVs to an appropriate team for investigation. Literally all they'll do is send a repair tech out (at your expense) to diagnose and fix hardware issues.

25. Pipper99 macrumors 68020

Pipper99

I hope that my 2011 Samsung plasma holds out for a while: the thought of researching a new tv purchase is a bit daunting.