Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Apple is a big bubble... no one in there cares about anything any more. They just want to suck the money out of Steve Jobs legacy. Tim Cook is a huge fraud.

You are seriously uninformed.

[doublepost=1482657280][/doublepost]
they probably don't do much other than Facebook with it. you certainly don't need 5k for Facebook.

Really. How about text and page elements.
[doublepost=1482657374][/doublepost]
Can't believe people are whining about how it looks. Geez people, it seems like a fantastic display, for a decent price, and it features an adjustable stand, something Apple's products usually lack.

I have mine on order and it looks fine to me.
[doublepost=1482657518][/doublepost]
So it is not unreasonable to expect from Apple a high end display that looks good.

I run a design business and don't want average looking hardware on the desks thank you. you cannot lump 'professionals' in one basket and state all is well.

I may as well buy Dell laptops too by your comment - does the job and looks ok. Why do you buy Apple ? Win 10 is very good so if it is not the great hardware then what is it, as emoji driven macOS isn't going in the pro direction, and this monitor for me is a clear indication of their direction.
the technical aspect of this monitor is great, but it still looks like an '80s clunky black crappy plastic unrefined lump of ****

I'm not sure what sort of 'pro' you believe you are but your writing is incoherent.
[doublepost=1482657604][/doublepost]
Meh, I'll wait for the Dell Infinity Edge 4K monitors that are rumored to come out in the Spring. 27" IPS 4K at HALF the price, and looks way better aesthetically. This 30" OLED was premiered in January 2016 for a high price, but hope to have all this tech in an affordable package soon. This puts that LG design to shame.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3018...sharp-display-and-declares-war-on-bezels.html

I'm sure those rumored monitors with their rumored price and rumored aesthetics are worth waiting for and will be so much better than this real actual product.
[doublepost=1482657688][/doublepost]
That's what is really surprising about this -- the display is the part of a desktop setup that's most visible. For years, Apple tried to get their displays into every TV show they could because of the advertising benefit. Now, they are strangely content with having people not even know what computer is being used. And that will be true everywhere this display is used. It's like they simply gave up on a giant part of their overall product marketing.
That said, from a technical/functional standpoint, this looks great, and the (discounted) price is attractive. The lack of cable management is rather astonishing, but I would consider this since there is no Apple-branded product that does what this does. I guess that's where we are.

Well put on all accounts.
[doublepost=1482657848][/doublepost]
Picture looks like a typical Dell laptop and its all plastic black monitor

That space gray MBP looks nothing at all like a Dell laptop.
[doublepost=1482657891][/doublepost]
I couldn't see much extra value in the new 2016 MBP 15" since I use my laptop 90% of the time closed with an external monitor, keyboard and mouse. Maybe I'm not Apples MBP professional target but I was hoping this year for a reason to upgrade my setup. Maybe next year... :-(

Most MBP buyers are not 'pros'.
[doublepost=1482658004][/doublepost]
What an ugly beast.

The only reason Apple is involved is because they wanna push the thunderbolt ports.

Apple doesn't want to be in the monitor business any more. That's why they are involved. USB-C is coming in very strong and Apple doesn't need to push it.
[doublepost=1482658039][/doublepost]
Apple seems to be very pessimistic with their estimates. By the time I saw the AirPods were available for ordering, I reserved a pair and the expected delivery date was already up to January 12th. But yesterday I received an Apple tracking number showing the arrival as next Tuesday, December 27th.

They always have been.
[doublepost=1482658082][/doublepost]
What a bunch of spoilt brats who complain about every apple product. ten years ago a 5k monitor for under $1k would be unimaginable. now people are complaining about the bezel and how Apple's moves "effects me professionally".

if you can't get work done with this level of gear you are like a carpenter who blames his tools.

Freakin a right!

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I guess some people would prefer to sit in their rooms and admire the bezels in the ancient 2011 thunderbolt cinema displays and work with limited gamut (76.1% of argb gamut) at lower 2560x1440 resolution than deal with a 5k surrounded by non-apple bezel.

How about both Displays are crap in 2016?

Reactions: canonical

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
To each their own, but it's sad to hear someone say they bought a portable machine only to use in clamshell mode 90% of the time.

Its sadder to hear what is effectively the old "you're holding it wrong" line.

As someone who mainly uses my MBP on a desktop with external display and keyboard:

(a) I don't use my laptop in clamshell mode - I have it on an elevator stand so I effectively get a dual-display setup. The external screen is primary, but the laptop screen is very useful for parking control palettes, online documentation, previewing a website you're working on etc.

(b) My laptop "commutes", almost daily between home desk and work desk. So it may spend 90% of the time on a desktop, but the portability is still important.

(c) I'm often working on website development, with test servers running on the laptop, so although moving files back and forth between a desktop isn't rocket science, its not as trivial as syncing a few documents. Being able to grab the laptop and know you've got everything with you is a huge convenience.

(d) Not everybody has an unchanging daily workflow. Much of my work doesn't need a super-powerful desktop. Then, sometimes, I need to transcode a bunch of videos or something, or do a spot of video editing. MacBook Pros have always offered a good balance between portability and power as a "desktop replacement".

Frankly, there's no doubt that a 2016 MBP would still do everything I wanted - but at a significantly higher price than before (esp. with a decent amount of internal storage so I could take everything with you), and the power is being sacrificed for the sake of ultra-portability. The TB3/USBC-only design demands some sort of docking facility and I'd have to pay for that twice (home desk & work desk) or sacrifice convenience.

As for the display - looks like its perfectly good technically, and the stand is probably more ergonomic than the old TB display. I'm pretty sure that if Apple had decided to produce their own display we'd be getting exactly the same innards in a beautiful (but maybe less practical) box for 50% more money. Deal-breaker for me would be the lack of any alternative input to let me use my expensive new screen with older/non-Mac equipment (even if its at lower res): you wouldn't expect that on an Apple-branded screen, but its unusual for mid/high end third party displays.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Isn't it shocking?

Especially since LG does have some models that are much better looking.
How Apple agreed to partner on this particular model is simply beyond me.

Steve Jobs would have hucked that POS right out a 4th floor window.
Just absolutely hideous (by Apple standards)

I take it you don't recall when Steve Jobs was up on stage promoting the iTunes Phone.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I guess some people would prefer to sit in their rooms and admire the bezels in the ancient 2011 thunderbolt cinema displays and work with limited gamut (76.1% of argb gamut) at lower 2560x1440 resolution than deal with a 5k surrounded by non-apple bezel.

Yeah, weird...

The LG has a wider P3 color gamut, like the 5K iMac. The combination of 5K resolution and wider gamut results in a breathtaking display - a huge difference. My 5K iMac puts a smile on my face every time I use it. I imagine the 5K LG display uses the same panel. For less than a grand it's a steal, especially with all the other features.

As an aside, it's nice that Apple is expanding the gamut on all devices. Started with the 12" iPad Pro 12", the 10" iPad Pro, the iPhone 7, the MBP, and now in collaboration with LG the 5K external monitor.

Reactions: ex0dus1985

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Everything moves into place on the smaller, single screen.

Thank you. I'm getting one of these monitors, but I had some horrible memories of bygone days when I used Windows, and sometimes programs would be invisible due to them being somewhere off-screen!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Not sure why you need to care what others opinion on your monitor. It's 5K P3 color and no cables to mess around.

My office has plenty of ACD/TB display. They do look nicer than other professional monitors we have but certainly nobody in the office cares. If you look at the professional monitor market, they are all black bezel plastic cheap looking Dell's. Because professionals need monitor that performs not for looks when they are off.

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy it. But if you own the '16 MBP there is no better 5K option around.

In the end of the day, I do care the look of a lot of the stuff but monitor is not one of them.
[doublepost=1482644059][/doublepost]

just buy a TV?
I'm sure you have another 5 years to wait for 8k to go mainstream.

[doublepost=1482644352][/doublepost]

I agree they can lose the camera to slim to top bezel so they work well when stacked.
The issue is no machine can run more than 2 of these now. Unless you want to stack just 2 monitors but that's weird setup.
I don't care about another's opinion. It's my opinion. About how the monitor looks...

jalo07

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2016
Texas
Yes, now sure how this passes by management. Do we Apple users live in a different perceptual universe with unrealistic standards?
They didn't use to be unrealistic, they were Apples standards, but the reality is, even Apple has let the bottom fall out. So yes now you live with unrealistic standards.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
I'm about to buy one but I have a question...

Can I plug it into my Windows PC? My GPU has 3 mini Display ports, 1 HDMI and 1 DVI-D port.

Also can I get HDMI adapters for the USB-C ports and use them to plug in a console or something?

Thanx.

Reactions: hollandog

high3r

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2015
Hungary
As an aside, it's nice that Apple is expanding the gamut on all devices. Started with the 12" iPad Pro 12", the 10" iPad Pro, the iPhone 7, the MBP, and now in collaboration with LG the 5K external monitor.

The current 12.9 inch iPad Pro is srgb only but I'm sure it will be updated to dci-p3 in 2017 along with the 12 inch Macbook.

Reactions: citysnaps

hollandog

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
I'm about to buy one but I have a question...

Can I plug it into my Windows PC? My GPU has 3 mini Display ports, 1 HDMI and 1 DVI-D port.

Also can I get HDMI adapters for the USB-C ports and use them to plug in a console or something?

Thanx.
no it won't work properly. it needs macos.

TazmoStarkana

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2016
Mine shipped and will arrive Dec 28!

eHD0OtK.png

hollandog

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
It's only a Monitor.... surely you can just use the USB-c for video in and sorted.
it's tb3 and it has no physical controls. all setting controlled from macos. Mac is the only supported os now. you can try with a Windows tb3 machine it might work but you probably can't can't control anything.

MTW

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2015
it's tb3 and it has no physical controls. all setting controlled from macos. Mac is the only supported os now. you can try with a Windows tb3 machine it might work but you probably can't can't control anything.

Install the Boot Camp drivers. Assuming Apple didn't go completely crazy and opt not to support the monitor under Windows, the Boot Camp drivers should get it going.

The Windows machine will need TB3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.