Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
WebKit is used by other companies as well, and now adopted by KDE - Konq ( which used KHTML).

Yup, I believe Nokia is one of the other (major) companies. But the point is, it's just one more way that Google have leveraged off Apple here. And at what point do all the little bits of leveraging add up to outright copying? I would say they crossed some sort of line when they used a coverflow effect for the web-history. Also having a dock for the main interface is a bit on the nose.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I agree. I'm excited about this not because I want to get my hands on an android phone, but rather because I don't want to see Apple get too comfortable with the iPhone in its current state. This news, to me, is more exciting simply because it will be interesting to see what Apple will do to differentiate from the Android platform....and being Apple, you know they'll do it.

yep, competition = good...

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
(watches "android" videos - snoozes)

Sorry, guys, just like the Wright Brothers and Thomas Edison - if you're not the first, you're just one of many....

Windows Mobile, Prada, HTC Touch - join the iPhone copy crowd....

ironically of course, almost none of thomas edison's inventions were "firsts" nor were the wright brothers first at what they are so often credited with. history, like the iphone is a series of progressions; someone or something wins the history book lottery and gets labeled with "first X" or the "inventor of Y".

the iphone is an amazing amalgamation of pre-existing technology, wrapped up in a fantastic user interface, but it's hardly the first of its kind. i say that as someone who was in line on day one and has subsequently bought 2 more.

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Well... it's great that Google released this phone OS, I guess, but I don't know if it will really take off. Open source OSes on computers are probably very fun for hackers to mess with and they're cool ideologically but they haven't produced the level of elegance in GUIs that Apple has. Just being open source doesn't make it superior by default, you need talented people to design things and a lot of those people work at Apple. I don't see why the same won't hold true for phones. When it comes down to it, I think Apple will continue to lead the way with interface design on their iPhones.

As for apps, hopefully Apple will let developers do 95% of what they want with their SDK release, and I don't see why they wouldn't. The main thing they will want to prevent will be theft of iTunes-purchased files (e.g. stopping people from transferring purchased songs and videos to unauthorized computers, or from streaming their music via WiFi to unauthorized computers or other iPhones/iPods). And unlocking the phone. And hacking into AT&T's network. Most apps that people want have nothing to do with any of these things and shouldn't have any problems. I think the SDK will probably be fine for most of our wants and we can look forward to some very cool apps from 3d parties.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Yup, I believe Nokia is one of the other (major) companies. But the point is, it's just one more way that Google have leveraged off Apple here. And at what point do all the little bits of leveraging add up to outright copying? I would say they crossed some sort of line when they used a coverflow effect for the web-history. Also having a dock for the main interface is a bit on the nose.

You could easily come up with examples of Apple where they have blatantly copied other products. But, whats the point? All companies copy each other.

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Although we all know Android is greatly inspired by Apple iPhone, this would definitely push Apple to open its platform.

Sad, Google already have kit for developers and Apple is still only expected to release SDK next Feb....

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
You could easily come up with examples of Apple where they have blatantly copied other products. But, whats the point? All companies copy each other.

I guess they do, and then they all sue each other afterwards. So I am predicting some iminent sue-age here!

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
death of WinMobile and Palm OS

I agree. I'm excited about this not because I want to get my hands on an android phone, but rather because I don't want to see Apple get too comfortable with the iPhone in its current state. This news, to me, is more exciting simply because it will be interesting to see what Apple will do to differentiate from the Android platform....and being Apple, you know they'll do it.
Agreed.

The best news about Android is not about using it at all but the effect it will have on Apple and the Industry as a whole.

This development almost certainly means the death of both Windows Mobile and Palm OS, the two biggest Mobile OS competitors (at least in the smartphone market), prior to the arrival of iPhone.

Palm as a company, will likely be absorbed or die soon anyway, but the death of Windows Mobile is going to cause a lot of ripples if it does indeed occur. Already stalled on the desktop and hardly used in the server space, exiting the mobile space would make Windows almost inconsequential if not for the existing installed base (and that is already dropping as well.)

Adios Steve Balmer! :D

Daeve

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
You could easily come up with examples of Apple where they have blatantly copied other products. But, what's the point? All companies copy each other.

Indeed - Even coverflow was not Apples idea... http://www.steelskies.com/coverflow/

Google is not stupid enough to "copy" too closely and break copyright against Apple (considering the board connections) against Apples will - they have more clever lawyers I'm sure than Apple do.

But if Apple don't complain then how is it a bad thing? More choice and better user interfaces for all.

AppleiMac

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2007
Two things..

(1) I wanted to point that you (yes you) can play with this right now. They are calling it an SDK but it is more. It's the whole darn thing right on down the kernel level drivers. The whole system is downloadable from Google and it runs on most computers inside an emulator. You don't need any special phone hardware. So go get it and see for yourself, no need to look at these videos.

(2) For all those who would complain about the way it looks or the way it works. You have ALL of the code and the development system on your computer. You can fix it. No need to wait for "someone to please..." Just do it. OK maaybe most readers lask the technical skills but you could in theory make any change you can think of. And not just writting your own app like Apple will et yu do next year. With Andrios even the core features and the drivers that talk to the chips is all open

Wait, not just anyonecan download the SDK, right? You have to be a developer I thought.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Attachments

• Picture 17.png
    Picture 17.png
    145.5 KB · Views: 128

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Agreed.

The best news about Android is not about using it at all but the effect it will have on Apple and the Industry as a whole.

This development almost certainly means the death of both Windows Mobile and Palm OS, the two biggest Mobile OS competitors (at least in the smartphone market), prior to the arrival of iPhone.

Palm as a company, will likely be absorbed or die soon anyway, but the death of Windows Mobile is going to cause a lot of ripples if it does indeed occur. Already stalled on the desktop and hardly used in the server space, exiting the mobile space would make Windows almost inconsequential if not for the existing installed base (and that is already dropping as well.)

Don't forget that Symbian is the leading smartphone OS worldwide.

Palm is still working on their new Linux-based OS, but it could very well be too late for them. Their only hope is to ship earlier in 2008 before Android-based products get out the door.

The level of competition is pretty weak, and the iPhone -- lovely as it is -- will probably always be a niche player (albeit a profitable and influential one), so Google has a pretty good opportunity here if they can deliver. One major stumbling block will be not only if Google can deliver, but if their partners can deliver, as well. HTC is a good bet on the hardware side, as they make some interesting devices that should be even more intriguing once divorced from Windows Mobile.

One thing's for sure: Sergey Brin is no Steve Jobs when it comes to giving presentations. :D

cthorp

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2002
Western North Carolina
rip-off

I would be ashamed to show a product that is such a rip-off. From the look-a-like dock to the poorly implemented cover-flow to the square icons, there is a huge lack of creativity. Of course I would not say design is not one of Googles strong suits.

Apples strength is the high level of integration. Open source, which sounds "cool" on the surface really means there will be a hodge-podge of applications without a unified design strategy. Why do you think Linux is not a mainstream OS?

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Yup, I believe Nokia is one of the other (major) companies. But the point is, it's just one more way that Google have leveraged off Apple here. And at what point do all the little bits of leveraging add up to outright copying?

What are you guys talking about? jeeez.

Android is a platform including the kernel, the middleware, and some basic apps. A Java byte code translator, an OpenGL 3D accelerated Lib, and some other really sick libraries in the SDK. How is developing an open mobile platform copying Apple?. Sure some of the Apps looked somehow like some of the iPhone apps, but that is not the point. The point is that there is now an extremely solid platform that both developers and manufacturers can you use. Not only use but they can all fix, improve and add to.

Windows Mobile.....rest in peace.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I would be ashamed to show a product that is such a rip-off. From the look-a-like dock to the poorly implemented cover-flow to the square icons, there is a huge lack of creativity. Of course I would not say design is not one of Googles strong suits.

Apples strength is the high level of integration. Open source, which sounds "cool" on the surface really means there will be a hodge-podge of applications without a unified design strategy. Why do you think Linux is not a mainstream OS?

You do understand that the open handset alliance include Intel, Qualcomm, NTT DoCoMo, Motorola, Samsung, LG, HTC, T-mobile, eBay, KDDI. These are not some little companies coming together to joke around, these are multibillion companies that are standing behind Andriod.

Regarding the "not so cool looking icons", these are just some demo apps that show what you CAN do with the platform.

cthorp

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2002
Western North Carolina
Rip off

Yes it is a platform, but it was demoed with a rip off look and feel. That is copying. Even the guy saying he wanted to "share something he was very excited about" was ripping off a Steve Jobs line! Don't make excuses for bad presentation and shoddy creativity.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I hope that this OS finds its way into a Treo or Motorola phone. Windows Mobile sucks just like the Palm OS sucks. And there is no iPhone in my future that doesn't work on the Sprint network so I am stuck. I have been looking at the HTC Touch, but I don't want to be "That Guy" who has the iPhone knock off that in no way works as good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.