Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Yes, it's the same speed. Not sure it it's the same interface yet. I do know the interface between the prior Air and the new Air are slightly different. I was hoping they'd have standardized by now.

=(

That's good to know, thanks. I used to have a 2010 air and it always felt really fast because of the really fast drive, even with a c2d processor. I'm sure the newer drives blow that put of the water though. Should be an impressive machine (and, side note, the new airs are super tempting too with the better graphics, 8 gb ram, and new ssd's).

paulsquyres

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
Screenshot of Photoshop CS6 on new MacBook Pro Retina

Just got my MacBook Pro Retina (15.4/2.7ghz/16gb/512gb) and installed Photoshop CS6.

The current version of Photoshop's UI is very pixelated as seen in the screenshot. The computer is very responsive as applying filters, etc. is super fast! Can't wait until Adobe updates the UI to accommodate the retina display across the CS6 Suite.

Attachments

• 2012MacBookProRetinaPhotoshop.jpg
    2012MacBookProRetinaPhotoshop.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 974

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Got mine in under 48 hours

I ordered my MBP retina 2.7/3.7 16GB 512GB right when the store came back on Monday. I got it Wednesday morning 9:15a PST, less than 48 hours after I ordered it and 24 hours sooner than FedEx said it would be delivered. Love it.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
I feel like i'm the only one getting a 2.6, starting to feel pier pressure, hand is reaching for phone, mind is thinking update order to 2.7, but I can't let myself do it, I need support, whose with me.:eek:

Nope, I ordered a 2.6 too. Can't justify $250 for an extra 2MB cache and 100MHz in processor speeds. I doubt I'd ever see any performance difference in my uses apart from a few points in some random benchmark.

The only upgrade was the RAM so 2999 out the door plus tax same price as the old 17". Not that big of a deal

The one in the OP is the high spec Retina Pro, with the 16GB RAM option and 2.7GHz processor option added on. Total price before tax is $3249. Not sure where you got the $2999 figure.

The old 17 started at $2499 btw.

My question is, why are people in the US already getting theirs?? I ordered within minutes of the store coming back up and mine is still 'processing', and I live less than a 100 kilos from the Shenzhen factory in which it's built! All I have to keep me company is the Magsafe2 adapter... :p

bj3949

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
anyone else wish new MacBook pro's retina display were brighter?

anyone else wish new MacBook pro's retina display were brighter?
it's stunning but at maximum brightness it doesn't look as bright as new iPad

wmouazzen

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
Got the 2.6 with 16gb ram and 512gig HD.

Surprised so many people went with the 2.7. Didn't think it was worth $250 for a .1 Ghz bump in processing speed.

2 to 3 Week wait when I ordered it though.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Just got my MacBook Pro Retina (15.4/2.7ghz/16gb/512gb) and installed Photoshop CS6.

The current version of Photoshop's UI is very pixelated as seen in the screenshot. The computer is very responsive as applying filters, etc. is super fast! Can't wait until Adobe updates the UI to accommodate the retina display across the CS6 Suite.

Can't wait for that update, that looks terrible

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Something about purchasing a new gadget like this that just makes every part of you feel happy. I would love to unbox one of those beauties for myself. Better scrape some cash together...

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Got the 2.6 with 16gb ram and 512gig HD.

Surprised so many people went with the 2.7. Didn't think it was worth $250 for a .1 Ghz bump in processing speed.

2 to 3 Week wait when I ordered it though.

To some people having the top of the line means something, but when it comes to computers, I chose logic over price, and I agree with you, its not worth it or needed, the SSD combined with the RAM will overshadow .1 all day

wmouazzen

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
I feel like i'm the only one getting a 2.6, starting to feel pier pressure, hand is reaching for phone, mind is thinking update order to 2.7, but I can't let myself do it, I need support, whose with me.:eek:

Heh, im with you man. Smarter buy for 2.6 I doubt there will be a noticeable different between the 2.6 and 2.7.

LaNina

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
Anyone know what the model identifier is on the retina MBP? I've seen early benchmarks of the MacBook Pro 9,1 but I'm not sure which one that is. They can't all be 9,1... can they?

I guess if they all have the same processor, RAM speed, and GPU that they could all be the same identifier.

Retina MBPs are 10,1

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Is this going to be the new iPad all over again? I see pink and yellow on that screen. I ultimately returned 12 new iPads and ended up without one because of its screen issues. According to that screenshot, this looks to be the same. If so, it'll be a huge disappointment and I'll probably hold on to my 17" MBP.

MEgaMacMan

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
That's great to know guys, I feel better now. I suppose regardless of what kind you got, they are great machines.

I'm glad people are starting to settle down about the superdrive being removed, that fact did not bother me in the slightest. I've had DVD drive in my iMac all year long and haven't used it yet. I'm all in favour for a more powerful yet compact machine. I really love the new design, people are saying it's not a pro machine because of it's slim form factor. I don't understand their beef, Power in a smaller form is always better IMO.:)

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
nice BUT way over priced. for $3k plus laptop.

Yeah, you get:

Retina Display
Latest Ivy Bridge i7 processors
Up to 16GB DDR3L RAM
Nvidia Geforce GT 650M Kepler graphics with 1GB with GDDR5 ram
Up to 768GB Flash storage
Thin design
Best part... Bragging rights :p

wmouazzen

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
Didn't realize the 2.7 had 2MB extra cache over the 2.6

How much of a difference does that make?

Mac365

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
Can we get an idea on boot up time? Haven't readily seen anything, but haven't really searched either. Also, based on what Apple has said about 'Component Integration', will anything be upgradable on these? Memory is cheaper outside of the Apple Store.

Don't buy the base model thinking you can upgrade later... :mad:

"the new MacBook Pro uses RAM soldered directly onto the logic board, as well as custom solid-state drives that include a new connector incompatible with existing third-party drives on the market."

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/1...nds-low-repairability-with-custom-components/

mastreck

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2007
My BTO MBP Retina 2.7 16gb 512gb Arrived Yesterday

Here are my Geekbench Results:

I was hoping for a 17" version. Been using a 17" MacBook Pro/Powerbook since they came out. This thing is fast. Only took about 40 minutes to transfer 400 gb from 2011 17" with SSD. In the past it took hours. The size and weight are amazing. Very happy with it so far.

Attachments

• MBP Retina.jpg
    MBP Retina.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 209

Drew n macs

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Why all the hate to people buying the new 15 mb rd, heck even go buy a refurb 15 mbp for $1359 and put a 256 ssd drive upgrade it to 8gb of memory (very cheap now but still) pay the measly 19.99 for mountain lion when it comes out and you are approaching the cost of 15 mb rd without usb 3 and without the retina screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.