First Photos of Apple's New Covent Garden Retail Store in London

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Electric Pig has managed to snap some of the first photos of Apple's Covent Garden retail store in London. The new store was announced last week and is Apple's largest store by total square footage.
Spread over two floors, the Apple Store Covent Garden features beautifully restored masonry, with stone arches inside and out. It’s a masterful blend of old and new, which suits the environs of Covent Garden perfectly.
The Londen Evening Standard reports that customers will enter through an eight-bay arcade marked by 20-foot stone arches and lit with restored gas lamps. The company has said to have taken pains to preserve the architecture while restoring the building.

Photos from Electric Pig
The store will be open to the press tomorrow with the public opening on Saturday. Electric Pig has a gallery of 10 shots of the exterior of the new store.

Article Link: First Photos of Apple's New Covent Garden Retail Store in London in London

NightFox

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Ahhh, so nice to see it the way it was meant to be before it gets swamped by tourists and foreign school kids hogging the computers to check their email and update their social networking pages.

Was killing time in the Regent Street store last week and couldn't believe a middle-aged bloke having a work conference call on one the the MacBooks in the training area with his work papers spread all over the desk - he must have been in there for the best part of an hour, can't believe he wasn't shown the door - it was like he was just treating the store as his personal office! :rolleyes:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
That looks really good. At least Apple take care of the surrounding area and make sure it fits in. Although they were probably forced to by the council.
haha, yeah the laws are pretty strict in this country for that. Still they didn't have to build a store there so it's very nice to see a big corporation take the risk and then do a very decent job. Well done Apple, the black looks really nice as well.

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
Just down the way from where I work on the Strand, and one of my mates is transferring there.

Looks like I'll have to book that Genius appointment in the Covent Garden Store...

cleggster83

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Bolton, UK
Ahhh, so nice to see it the way it was meant to be before it gets swamped by tourists and foreign school kids hogging the computers to check their email and update their social networking pages.

Was killing time in the Regent Street store last week and couldn't believe a middle-aged bloke having a work conference call on one the the MacBooks in the training area with his work papers spread all over the desk - he must have been in there for the best part of an hour, can't believe he wasn't shown the door - it was like he was just treating the store as his personal office! :rolleyes:
I know I've seen similar things in Manchester arndale store. The thing i hate the most is the kids just messing with iPhones and iPads. (they should ban kids without there parents)

Beardy man

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007

Yup. last time I was in the Regent Street store (trying to evaluate the glossy monitors) some woman was setting up a video conference across 2 continents for later that afternoon, another person was standing at an iMac audio/copy typing from an iPod to iMac. Looked like a full time job from the stuff she was typing.

I suppose there are people out there who still use Starbucks/Nero's/Costa as their "office" but let's face it, Apple stores are just so much better equipped ;-)

Imagine if they had seats and coffee?

Redeeming feature? Mention to an assistant that you want to look at something with an intention to buy and they'll free-up whatever you want immediately!

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Never had the need to visit an Apple store, but from the pics, with row upon row of the same machine, what else can they expect? Surely not for customers to walk along each aisle admiring iMac after iMac?

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I appreciate the time and effort Apple takes with the design of their stores. The thought put into them reflects the thought put into the design of their products. The only things that seemed out of place were the ceiling lights in the store. From the photos they look awfully harsh and industrial and don't really fit the look in the rest of the store.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Probably my favorite apple store. I like this look better than the all glass look.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
Why else do you think they build 'em so big? Not for paying customers, surely? :rolleyes:

I predominantly buy my stuff online from third party companies, it's cheaper.

arcite

macrumors 6502a
Yup. last time I was in the Regent Street store (trying to evaluate the glossy monitors) some woman was setting up a video conference across 2 continents for later that afternoon, another person was standing at an iMac audio/copy typing from an iPod to iMac. Looked like a full time job from the stuff she was typing.

I suppose there are people out there who still use Starbucks/Nero's/Costa as their "office" but let's face it, Apple stores are just so much better equipped ;-)

Imagine if they had seats and coffee?

Redeeming feature? Mention to an assistant that you want to look at something with an intention to buy and they'll free-up whatever you want immediately!
Do you think you would have people doing this stuff in Sony stores? How about Dell stores? They just aren't cool enough ;)

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
From those photos it's not as nice as the new Paris Opéra store which just opened (and set a pretty high bar), but still nice all the same.

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Can I buy a black turtleneck sweater there or do I have to go the Apple Outlet store for one?

NightFox

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Doesn't the Apple logo look so very wrong when it's reversed? (in the linked pictures)

I'm almost surprised Apple didn't invent some sort of Light Beam Distortion iDevice to ensure that the silhouetted Apple profile on the signs always faced the right way, whichever side you viewed it from.

:apple:

Edit: now I think about it, an iPad stuck behind each side of the logo cut-out, each with a rear-facing camera, errr.... something like that anyway...

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Hmm I wonder if they'll have any iPads and iPhone4s in stock? No but it does look like a nice building and design.
The way things are going people will be traveling around the world just to visit the various Apple Stores :rolleyes: Just to say they have been there. Maybe the stores should sell exclusive t-shirts with the store's name on so customers could collect them as well.

Anybody know if and when the proposed store at the Oracle Centre in Reading is going to open?

It would be nice if they opened a store here in Oslo. It would fit really well with the way the city is developing.