Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
The iPad Mini would have been pointless then.

People need to have choice.

Apple just can't shove one thing down there throat and expect them to like it.

The mini's been selling well, so it already isn't pointless.

I agree that people need to have choice, and they do. They can choose to buy Apple products or not.

Unfortunately, Apple can and does shove things down our throat and expect us to like them. This is they way they've been operating since, like, forever. So far, it's been working pretty well for them, so don't hold your breath. I'm with you on this; I think they could offer more (4.8 iPhone, Retina MBP/Air 17, 13" iPad, are a few I'd buy immediately).

However, given this new iPad, and how I've seen Apple handle their product lineup in the past, I think the mini will skip retina for one more cycle to keep their products differentiated (and profit margins up).

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Black cases tend to show finger prints...

Looks thinner too, but hopefully Apple kept the battery capacity.

But it'll take more than a sleek case to maintain the iPad's dominance... hopefully there are software improvements too.

Native split-screen type capabilities would be great. Being able to FaceTime and read/type/etc would be great. No need for full-screen FaceTime at all times.

Last edited:

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Let me guess: It'll have a screen, a rear, some cameras, probably better than the last generations, a faster processor, possibly more ram, and larger memory options. In other words: nothing different than previous updates, and certainly nothing revolutionary as the original iPad.

iMichael!

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
Black cases tend to show finger prints...

Looks thinner too, but hopefully Apple kept the battery capacity.

But it'll take more than a sleek case to maintain the iPad's dominance... hopefully there are software improvements too.

Black does leave a lot of fingerprints. When the iPMR comes out i'll buy White.

Battery capacity is key to every tablet. Hope its the same or even better.

Agreed. iPad 5 needs to improve more things then just the look. Software Updates are a sure-in. However not to iOS 6.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Let me guess: It'll have a screen, a rear, some cameras, probably better than the last generations, a faster processor, possibly more ram, and larger memory options. In other words: nothing different than previous updates, and certainly nothing revolutionary as the original iPad.

I heard new-new-new-iPad screen will be new tech and 15% more flat.

I'm curious to see at what weight iPads will become too light for the too heavy crowd.

Consumer: "I looked away and didn't even feel or hear it drop"
Apple: "You're holding it wrong"

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
...Only the fact that everyone thought it would be held off until the Fall. I'm glad it's not!

Mac Rumors said:
The report lines up with iLounge's first description of the new iPad which is expected to arrive in October with smaller, iPad mini-esque bezels and chamfered edges and curves.

Dwalis90. Did you read something I didn't? I wish it were true though as I'll be upgrading from my 2 to the 5 and this spring would be much better than this fall as I'll travel plenty from March through September and the lighter smaller footprint + same sized screen will be huge for me.

iMichael!

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
Judging how people are saying it's rumored to come out in March (Which rumors are 98.9% right with releases if there from a good source).

We could also expect a new iPad Mini right along with it.

For people saying the iPad Mini would update too fast for not even 4 months. The same thing is with the iPad 4. 4 Months and getting a update in March.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Judging how people are saying it's rumored to come out in March (Which rumors are 98.9% right with releases if there from a good source).

We could also expect a new iPad Mini right along with it.

For people saying the iPad Mini would update too fast for not even 4 months. The same thing is with the iPad 4. 4 Months and getting a update in March.

Latest rumors point to October, though.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Looking forward to a refreshed mini.

Quite likely the battery and screen mean retina can't be put in the mini just yet so they're moving towards it by reducing the size of the full size one. Would make sense if they retired the iPad 2 so you just have the choice of iPad mini and iPad 5 where the 5 has the distinguishing feature of retina.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
oh man.... i feel like a kid in a candy store ......

Horrible aspect ratio ...... lol @ "stretched ipad mini"..

Is it me, or is that screenshot of the wallpaper slightly not aligned...... ? Possible fake ?

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Questions for the crowd that says that this iteration is the same as the old and the iPad needs to change or it will fail.

1) Do you say the same about laptops which have consisted of a folding clamshell for years? The original Compaq 'laptop' was quite a beast but since the clamshell design, basically nothing has changed except incremental changes including smaller, thinner, more powerful, elimination of the latch and use of magnets to hold it close, etc.

2) I rarely hear any suggestions and haven't heard any big ideas. Do you have any radical changes to suggest? Lets hear them.

3) Apple didn't invent the tablet computer. The initial design of the iPad wasn't too different than other tablet computers at the time. The difference was in the operating system, ecosystem, and build quality. How would you change that?

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I like it. I've never cared much for the iPad, but that looks good to me. Now I realize it's the frame-like bezel that I don't like. Go figure, it looks like the mini and I love my mini!

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
meh

Old back is way better, but i'm going to have to like it because it's lighter.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010

Agreed. So, what would make the iPad "revolutionary" again? 3D display? NFC?

iOS 7 is the only thing that can bring the iPad to the next level (and even that isn't going to be "revolutionary", just evolutionary like every other computing device on the market). No one is "reinventing" the laptop or the desktop. They are mature products that are refined with better features, faster processors and the like. So it is with tablets now.

Apple just need to give us some features already in Android (user accounts, some customizations), but the OS itself is rock-solid. The iPad already does pretty much whatever you need it to (and developers keep coming up with stuff I would have never guessed). I swear, if Apple did this and Microsoft released Office for it (they won't) I would not need a laptop ever again.

Those in search of "revolutionary" products need to start looking elsewhere (TV maybe?). As far as computing goes, this is it. Until someone invents the Matrix...;)

EDIT: DaveN made my point waaaayy more succintly! :D

iMichael!

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
oh man.... i feel like a kid in a candy store ......

Horrible aspect ratio ...... lol @ "stretched ipad mini"..

It it me, of is that screenshot of the wallpaper slightly off aligned...... ? Possible fake ?

One side looks bigger than the other.

However,
MacForums said:
Diwali posted this mockup based on the dimensions of the case:

So it's just a mockup.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
So far, it only improvement it has LTE ....

(umm... looks like Australia's, not listed though..... Well, i'm out...)

(Edits: wrong one)

Its a very nice paper-weight. :)

i always like the ipad 3 ..... where else are you gonna put your thumbs. .... if it's gonna be smuged, i'd much rather have smudges you "can't" see easily.

Last edited:

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Can't Pull The Trigger

I "almost" bought the iPad3 but procrastinated. So a few weeks ago I decided to jump in and buy an iPad4. THEN....I read THIS. So now back to waiting.

If a new iPad comes out in March then FINALLY I am springing for it.
However, if a new iPad does NOT come out in March, well then I can't wait until September so I may get an iPad3 (don't need "retina") to minimize the $$$ spent in case I really like the September version.

So I guess all this has done for me is to eliminate the iPad4. Whew....I think I confused myself:confused:

Last edited:

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Questions for the crowd that says that this iteration is the same as the old and the iPad needs to change or it will fail.

1) Do you say the same about laptops which have consisted of a folding clamshell for years? The original Compaq 'laptop' was quite a beast but since the clamshell design, basically nothing has changed except incremental changes including smaller, thinner, more powerful, elimination of the latch and use of magnets to hold it close, etc.

2) I rarely hear any suggestions and haven't heard any big ideas. Do you have any radical changes to suggest? Lets hear them.

3) Apple didn't invent the tablet computer. The initial design of the iPad wasn't too different than other tablet computers at the time. The difference was in the operating system, ecosystem, and build quality. How would you change that?

Some folks argue that tablets are slowly killing the laptop computer for most consumers. Thus, something will eventually kill the tablet. I believe it will be some kind of super-phone that can power multiple types of input devices. For example, tablets will simply become thin, lightweight monitors that run wirelessly off your phone.

The tablet/smartphone market is already basically a menu of screen sizes. There is not much difference in core functionality.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Pixel counting game?

?

300ppi vs 264ppi

nexus 10 has nearly 1 million more pixels

agree, the aluminum with ipads is nicer tho

How are you planning to use the tablet (be it either nexus or iPad)? Do you do things that are very pixel intensive?

I'm all for more pixels, but at some point, I don't care anymore cause my eyes can't tell the different. I rather have less pixels, but retina minimum, with more battery life.

iMichael!

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
I "almost" bought the iPad3 but procrastinated. So a few weeks ago I decided to jump in and buy an iPad4. THEN....I read THIS. So if a new iPad comes out in March then FINALLY I springing for it. If a new iPad does not come out in March I can't wait until September so I may get a iPad3 (don't need "retina") to minimize the $$$ spent in case I really like the September version. So I guess all this has done for me is to eliminate the iPad4. Whew....I think I confused myself:confused:

Same with everyone owning a iPad 4.

iPad 4: November 2012
iPad 5 (BIG UPDATE): March 2013

Not even four months.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Some folks argue that tablets are slowly killing the laptop computer for most consumers. Thus, something will eventually kill the tablet. I believe it will be some kind of super-phone that can power multiple types of input devices. For example, tablets will simply become thin, lightweight monitors that run wirelessly off your phone.

The tablet/smartphone market is already basically a menu of screen sizes. There is not much difference in core functionality.

This could be lead as to why PC and Mac sales aren't as good as as they once were..

The shift to tablets :) don't u like that feeling

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.