Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motty2307

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
Indiana
I won't be upgrading to the 5s, just going to wait until my contract is up and get the 6 next year. The only question I have refers to AppleCare. Eventually they will run out of the 5 to replace mine if I break it so what happens then?

I'm asking out of total ignorance since I've never had an iPhone that was discontinued.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
The fingerprint reader is an amazing useful addition and the 5S camera, flash etc are much better than those found on the iPhone 5. Fact.
Fact? More like uninformed/second hand opinion given you don't actually have a 5S. I guess that's not so catchy or condescending a phrase to sign off your post though I suppose.

The 5 has been downgraded to a cheaper 5C to make Apple more money and to ensure that differentiating the 5S is a much easier task than would ordinarily be the case if the 5 were still being offered.

The "upgrades" on the 5S compared with the 5 are not exactly "amazing" or indeed "much better", hence why Apple has cleverly taken such a comparison out of the retail equation.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I'm on contract until January 2015, so I will be sticking it out until the 6 or 6S. My old flip phone lasted 5 years, but my first smartphone (blackberry storm2) crapped out just after my contract ended earlier this year.

While the finger print scanner is nifty and I like the new camera features, it makes little sense to upgrade for such minor things. The 5c is completely out since it's the same internals in plastic.

Saving my money for a haswell retina MacBook Pro!

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
If the iPhone 5 were now obsolete, then the iPhone 5C would also be obsolete immediately upon release, because it's basically the same phone in a different case. The 5S is pretty much the level of upgrade I expected over the 5 — not jaw-droppingly awesome (I don't think we can expect that anymore from what is now a mature product), but not "lame," either. I upgrade every other model, so I'll wait for the 6. I'm still quite happy with my 5.

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Only thing to do before the end of the year for me is to buy Apple care and thats my phone covered for another year under the warranty.

Unless you just bought the phone within the last 30 days you've missed the boat on AppleCare.

gopnick

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Most people should upgrade every two years. There are several reasons for this:

1. Most phones start to "show their age" after 20-24 months. They get slower, battery life becomes terrible, and they just generally look bad unless they've been wrapped in rubber.

2. Most carriers don't reduce your bill the minute you pay off the carrier subsidy. In other words, your iPhone might have cost AT&T or Verizon $500 (totally fabricated number, but you get the point) and you might have paid $200 when you bought it, but they won't just charge you $300 over the life of your phone. Your total cost is monthly and never ends... so that phone might actually be costing you $1,000 if you keep it long enough. One bright spot on this is T-Mobile, which reduces your bill once you pay the phone subsidy off. That said, you pay for it in network, at least in my area: they just don't cover as many places, especially in flyover country.

3. iPhones retain amazing resale value.

4. You're eligible for a carrier subsidy every 20-24 months.

Every two years most people can buy a new phone for $200, sell their old one on eBay for $100-$200 depending on condition (sometimes even more!) and come out roughly even on money. Why wouldn't you upgrade? Why try to make a phone last 4 or 5 years?

This, of course, only makes sense for people who buy with a carrier subsidy... but that's the majority of people who post on this forum.

The takeaway from this? Enjoy your iPhone 5. It's fine. It is very similar to the newly announced iPhone 5c and will probably be supported in software upgrades for another one to three years. But upgrade next September when the iPhone 6 comes out. If you don't, you're wasting subsidy dollars.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
The fact that Apple discontinued this phone a year after its release SHOULD TELL YOU PEOPLE SOMETHING!!! It was their worst iPhone ever. It was prone to scratching and so other problems. Loose/rattling sleep wake buttons, screen problems, bending, loose home buttons, crooked home buttons, loose camera lens ect...

Hopefully the iPhone 5s won't have quality control issues!!! I am glad its been discontinued.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
The fact that Apple discontinued this phone a year after its release SHOULD TELL YOU PEOPLE SOMETHING!!! It was their worst iPhone ever. It was prone to scratching and so other problems. Loose/rattling sleep wake buttons, screen problems, bending, loose home buttons, crooked home buttons, loose camera lens ect...

Hopefully the iPhone 5s won't have quality control issues!!! I am glad its been discontinued.

Lel, the 5S has the same case and everything so why would these problems (which i believe are hugely blown out of proportion) suddenly be magically solved? Its the same fricking design.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Fact? More like uninformed/second hand opinion given you don't actually have a 5S. I guess that's not so catchy or condescending a phrase to sign off your post though I suppose.

The "upgrades" on the 5S compared with the 5 are not exactly "amazing" or indeed "much better", hence why Apple has cleverly taken such a comparison out of the retail equation.

It is a fact. The iPhone 5S features I mentioned are better than those found on the iPhone 5. It's a F-A-C-T!

Here's the comparison, the 5C is virtually the same as the iPhone 5 apart from the fact that the 5C supports more 4G bands and has a higher capacity battery than the iPhone 5:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

There is nothing uninformed about my posts as you seem to suggest unless you think that Apple made the iPhone 5S worse than the iPhone 5 making my points void & irrelevant?

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA

Uhh you read a forum where people post problems with their devices. My iPhone 5 is still in good condition after spending 7 months in an otterbox and the last few weeks in a TPU case from Belkin. Yes it's a little scratched. What device with metal and glass (and plastic too!) wouldn't be after being put in bags and pockets? But I know nothing about bending, loose buttons, or "scuff gate" (also have a white one that doesn't have the issues that the black does).

Worst iPhone ever? No. I'd say the 4 with antenna gate. The 4S was a major improvement.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The iPhone 5 is certainly not a dinosaur. It will be a perfectly good phone for the next couple of years.

Agreed. Just because a new phone has been released doesn't mean you phone suddenly turns into a paperweight. It will still get updates, run apps, take pictures/videos, etc.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Your iPhone 5 hasn't been discontinued...it's just been covered in plastic and called the 5C!
You're lucky enough to have a beautiful alumium version :)

This is probably the best spin on the 5C yet! And very true too! Anyone with a 5 should be proud to have the higher end, limited edition version of the same thing they are selling now.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
The fingerprint reader is an amazing useful addition and the 5S camera, flash etc are much better than those found on the iPhone 5. Fact.

Not by much! If you can really look at the features instead of getting fooled by"the new iPhone 5S" then you can really see that it is not marginally better! Not enough for 50% of the people to upgrade! Fact.

----------

fact? More like uninformed/second hand opinion given you don't actually have a 5s. I guess that's not so catchy or condescending a phrase to sign off your post though i suppose.

The 5 has been downgraded to a cheaper 5c to make apple more money and to ensure that differentiating the 5s is a much easier task than would ordinarily be the case if the 5 were still being offered.

The "upgrades" on the 5s compared with the 5 are not exactly "amazing" or indeed "much better", hence why apple has cleverly taken such a comparison out of the retail equation.

+1

----------

If the iPhone 5 had so many issues with design .. Scratching etc... Then why does the iPhone 5S have the same body?? Hmm something to think about!

PaulOBrain

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2013
UK

Don't worry the 5S will have its own unique problem ;)

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
If I can go threw several updates with iPhone 5 Ill be happy(iOS7 and iOS8), so now that I learned its discontinued now If I break phone(i have insurance) will I still receive original iPhone 5 aluminum body??? sorry for newb questions the whole apple thing is new for me coming from an Android.

----------

Me too :) bought a MacBook and the iPhone 5 just recently but like I said it bugs me that our phones are now considered extinct dinosaurs lol

I love the Macbook pro should of made the switch long ago but glad i got retina display well worth the extra money

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I'm on contract until January 2015, so I will be sticking it out until the 6 or 6S. My old flip phone lasted 5 years, but my first smartphone (blackberry storm2) crapped out just after my contract ended earlier this year.

While the finger print scanner is nifty and I like the new camera features, it makes little sense to upgrade for such minor things. The 5c is completely out since it's the same internals in plastic.

Saving my money for a haswell retina MacBook Pro!

I just had to because it's so rare to see it on here, but judging from the Username. Rock Chalk. :cool:

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Unless you just bought the phone within the last 30 days you've missed the boat on AppleCare.

I managed to buy apple care from my carrier. I got it active now. On apples website it only offers apple care + but the web chat at apple said I can still buy apple care over the phone support. However got it from my carrier instead as its cheaper.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I won't be upgrading to the 5s, just going to wait until my contract is up and get the 6 next year. The only question I have refers to AppleCare. Eventually they will run out of the 5 to replace mine if I break it so what happens then?

I'm asking out of total ignorance since I've never had an iPhone that was discontinued.
If I were in that position and they told me they had no iPhone 5's to replace mine with, I would kick up a stink in the store and expect a replacement worthy of what I had paid. If I am entitled to a replacement, then I should get a replacement under my statutory rights. My wife is very au fait with business law and I would probably end up walking out with a 5S lol. :p

Puff daddy

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2013
iPhone 5 is going to be a dinosaur in a few weeks! Can't wait to dump it off to a sucker and get the real one 5s

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Awesome with the quick responses guys glad I joined this forum. For some reason its bothering me with the new 64 bit while I maintain the current 32 bit, the other new features don't concern me at all. I just dont want to have to get a new phone just cause technology wont allow it and I assume in future all smart phones will go to 64 bit versions

It will be a year or two before smartphones get any real and major benefit out of 64-bit CPUs, all Android flagship and mid end smartphones will have 64-bit CPUs to, but the real benefits we may only see around 2015.

You can skip the 5S and keep your 5. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.